PDA

View Full Version : tankless water heater

Osaga
03-18-2012, 05:56 PM
I fianally decided to instal my bosch aquastar 125fx which I had sitting for few years...
when I called around, here in southwester ontario, the local HVAC shops wanted around $1200 to instal it... which I thought is was way too high...
so, I figured I can do most of it myself, I ran the water lines, installed a plug for it, mounted it and even installed the stainless steel 4" Z-flex vent pipe...
But, when I called different HVAC to run the gas line, I was told by all that they wont come out to FINISH someone elses work...
so, I got my meassuments, went to home depot and got the 3/4 pipe and fitting and ran the 3/4 line up to the tank and then the last foot and a half is 1/2" (acording to instruction, 1/2" must be less than 15')
I know I can do a leak test with soap and water... but before I turn it on, I just wanted to see if I can get some input.. good and/or bad I guess

Terryl
03-18-2012, 06:54 PM
$1200 for a 1 hour job, I need to come out of retirment.

Sounds like you did a good job, did you use the yellow pipe dope on the gas fittings and all connections?

Some places won't let you use the white Teflon tape on gas lines, you have to use the yellow stuff.

I use both, makes for a nice tight connection.

How did you run the vent, through the roof or wall?

Or did you add on to the existing vent for the water heater?

I use windex as a leak detector.

Osaga
03-18-2012, 07:10 PM
I use WHITE PRO dope on connections and the vent is straight out the wall... just an elbow and 6" pipe to the FX hood that can with the tank
yeah, the reason I was told for the $1200 - since they all line had to be moved gas, water running a plug and the venting...

Osaga
03-18-2012, 07:11 PM
windex... havent heard about that one... but I guess it all works the same

Terryl
03-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Yah Windex, cheap and sometimes under the kitchen sink counter, no mixing of dish soap in a glass, spray and go.

Some also use the soap bubble mix for kids, mix up a batch in an old Windex bottle, bubbles like crazy if you have a leak, keeps the kids occupied and out of your hair also.

Osaga
03-18-2012, 07:35 PM
thanks Terry... hopefully I'll have on and running today:)

myman
03-18-2012, 07:40 PM
I fianally decided to instal my bosch aquastar 125fx which I had sitting for few years...
when I called around, here in southwester ontario, the local HVAC shops wanted around $1200 to instal it... which I thought is was way too high...
so, I figured I can do most of it myself, I ran the water lines, installed a plug for it, mounted it and even installed the stainless steel 4" Z-flex vent pipe...
But, when I called different HVAC to run the gas line, I was told by all that they wont come out to FINISH someone elses work...
so, I got my meassuments, went to home depot and got the 3/4 pipe and fitting and ran the 3/4 line up to the tank and then the last foot and a half is 1/2" (acording to instruction, 1/2" must be less than 15')
I know I can do a leak test with soap and water... but before I turn it on, I just wanted to see if I can get some input.. good and/or bad I guess

for your gas line use black pipes with union no coupling and blue block doop which u can buy at home depot. blue block mostly used for gas pipe. a little dish deter. is ok and your noise and believe u will be ok or buy a gas leak detector from home depot and and plug in to ac outlet and take back to home depot when finish. hope this is some help

Osaga
03-18-2012, 07:48 PM
for your gas line use black pipes with union no coupling and blue block doop which u can buy at home depot. blue block mostly used for gas pipe. a little dish deter. is ok and your noise and believe u will be ok or buy a gas leak detector from home depot and and plug in to ac outlet and take back to home depot when finish. hope this is some help

yeah, I was thinking of gettin a gas detector just for added measure... but I dont have any low plugs.. I guess even if I have it on the extension cord on the floor would work... for EXTRA measure, I was also gonna replace the smoke detector (just outside of the utility room) with the one that does CO as well

Osaga
03-18-2012, 07:54 PM
lol... I guess I could always get a battery operated gas detector...

Terryl
03-18-2012, 07:54 PM
DEFIANTLY get a CO detector, one saved my life, this was due to a bad thermocouple on the kitchen stove pilot, woke up when the alarm went off, I had a real bad headache, saw the alarm flashing and went outside to fresh air, it saved my life.

I now have one mounted low by the bed side.

If you have kids, put one in their rooms also.

Osaga
03-18-2012, 08:00 PM
will do... I was just looking at some, smoke/co and gas all in one... but.... smke and co raises where as gas low low to the ground.. right?

Terryl
03-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Gas you can smell, smoke goes up, CO (Carbon Monoxide) stays low to the floor, as it builds up to a certain level that's were it can get to you.

I mounted my CO detectors 10 inches below the top of the mattress, this way you get an early warning.

Most of the smoke/CO combo detectors get mounted up high, so they can detect the smoke, doesn't do to much for the CO.

Thats why I got the battery operated CO only detectors and put one in each bedroom, one in the kitchen and one in the utility/furnace room.

Sounds expensive but it's safer.

You can get a gas/CO detector for your utillity room, this will do a double job.

Osaga
03-18-2012, 09:50 PM
thanks for ALL the help, Im gonna replace my old 2 pack hardwired smoke detectors (several years old) with smoke/fire/co
and Im also gettin a CO/propane/gas which Im gonna place in the by the door in the utility....
that way they'll also detect CO... low and high:)
and then finally fire up the tank... I'll post back

bustamante1974
06-19-2012, 03:07 AM
tankless water heaters definately have their own gas code regulations. I was going to get one in the townhouse that already had a water heater. The HVAC guy said he'd like to do it but he couldn't. Something about 3 ft and then another turn....

GAS is scary...do you have union gas or enbridge? You can call them if you think you have a gas leak (for free) they have no choice but to come out...its kind of sneaky but you could use them to see what they say when they get there...:grr:

aquadave
10-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Tankless are not as efficient as they claim. but gas is a good way to heat water. They do make a gas tape now works great and a trick I use on tape is a little dish washing soap! it makes the pipe screw in so good I can go tighter by hand than most with wrenches and it bubbles if it leaks 2 advantages in 1.