PDA

View Full Version : Alex Smith meets with Dolphins; QB's 49ers future in question

rokko
03-19-2012, 01:29 AM
Free-agent quarterback Alex Smith left the Miami Dolphins' complex Sunday night after a 5½-hour meeting with the team.

The visit could affect the Peyton Manning sweepstakes, because Smith's former team, the San Francisco 49ers, is among three finalists for the star quarterback, along with the Denver Broncos and Tennessee Titans.
Dolphins' QB quandry
With Matt Flynn electing to sign with the Seahawks, the Dolphins' quarterback options are dwindling. Steve Wyche looks where Miami might turn now. More ...

The 49ers had been working to re-sign Smith, the 2005 No. 1 draft pick who had his best season in 2011 under first-year coach Jim Harbaugh, a former NFL quarterback.

The Dolphins' unexpected courtship of Smith came after they were spurned by Manning. They then courted former Green Bay Packers backup quarterback Matt Flynn, who instead agreed to terms Sunday with the Seattle Seahawks on a three-year deal worth up to $26 million.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported Saturday that the 49ers gave Smith a three-year, $24 million offer, which the quarterback is still considering.

Smith reportedly might sever ties with longtime agent Tom Condon, who also represents Manning.

"I never thought a year ago (Peyton) Manning would be a free agent, either," Smith told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel upon arriving in Miami on Sunday morning. "I'm never surprised by anything."

The Dolphins have also scheduled a Monday meeting with free-agent quarterback David Garrard, a source told the Florida Times-Union.

Garrard, a starter for Jacksonville from 2005 to 2010, didn't play last season. He was released five days before the opener by the Jaguars, then underwent back surgery in October.

Costactc
03-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Now that Manning has decided to play in Denver, 49ers might have to sweeten the deal with Smith.

rokko
03-22-2012, 01:14 AM
Smith agrees to stay with 49ers

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:20pm EDT

(Reuters) - The San Francisco 49ers re-signed quarterback Alex Smith to a three-year contract on Wednesday after the National Football League (NFL) team was spurned by Peyton Manning.

The 49ers were believed to be one of three teams in serious contention for Manning's services but when he agreed to a deal with the Denver Broncos on Tuesday, San Francisco moved quickly to solidify their quarterbacking position by extending Smith contract.

"I'm glad this is finally done. For me this was the plan all along," Smith said on a conference call.

"I guess I never really felt like a free agent. This was the plan to come back here. It's done now and I'm happy about it."

The often-maligned Smith enjoyed a breakout campaign last season leading the 49ers to a 13-3 record, the NFC West division crown and a trip to the NFC Championship game where they lost to the eventual Super Bowl champion New York Giants.

The first overall pick in the 2005 draft, Smith started all 16 regular season games and two playoff contests last season, setting multiple career passing marks, completing 273 of 445 passes for a career-high 3,144 yards with 17 touchdowns and only five interceptions.

Despite his performance, the 49ers were in hot pursuit of Manning, leaving Smith to audition for several teams, including the Miami Dolphins.

But with Manning off the market the 49ers signed Smith to a three-year deal worth $8 million a season according to local media reports.

Smith said he was told from the outset about the 49ers pursuit of Manning and insisted there were no hard feelings although he admitted to being a bit surprised by the team's interest.

"Obviously it was a little unexpected but it is part of the deal, this free agency and this is the NFL and those things happen," said Smith. "Not offended at all.

"This is my job. I feel like I've earned it. I feel like I've earned the right to compete for it."

Smith returns to a team that has added some significant offensive weapons in the form of veteran receivers Mario Manningham and Randy Moss during the protracted negotiations with their quarterback.

"He's Randy Moss, he's got a skill set that is totally unique to himself," gushed Smith.

"He's a special player, we've all seen what he has been able to do over the years and I look forward to throwing the ball to him."

Tv-JunKy
03-28-2012, 04:31 PM
49ers are going to be a major threat next year. GO 9ers :)