PDA

View Full Version : Report: Saints to rest Brees, start Brunell at QB

KIDWCKED
01-02-2010, 04:50 PM
c\p
ESPN.com news services

With the No. 1 seed in the NFC all sewn up, the New Orleans Saints will rest Pro Bowl quarterback Drew Brees and will start Mark Brunell in Sunday's regular-season finale against the Carolina Panthers, according to a report in the Times-Picayune on Friday.

The report states Brees will be the third-string emergency quarterback on Sunday behind Brunell and Chase Daniel.

"I'm looking forward to it, " Brunell said, according to the New Orleans newspaper. "There are a number of guys in here that are in supporting roles that are probably going to get some time. They are a few guys in here that are really looking forward to this game.

"Any time you can get on the field in a competitive situation, that's great," he added. "I'm 0-for-1 on the year, so I've got to get at least one completion before the season is over."

As a result of Minnesota's overtime loss in Week 16, the Saints (13-2) clinched homefield advantage throughout the NFC playoffs.

Brunnel has only appeared in a spattering of games this season and has attempted just one pass. He last started a game on Nov. 12, 2006 as a member of the Washington Redskins in a 27-3 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.