Thread: majic jack plus

jeffish Guest

Default majic jack plus

anyone have any input on the majic jack plus thinking of buying one .any thoughts would be appreciated before i purchase one . thank you in advance ..

Night_Predator Guest

I’ve had it for a few months now and love it. Like the fact that I don’t have to let it screw with my computer like the first one. Also you can now port your number which is a definite plus. Worth the money in my opinion.

russ Guest

I have one but the problem is some times you have a drop call,then you have to dial again. I heard about nettalk duo is better than MJ

bd4pilot Guest

I have the MJ+ and it can have dropout and choppy audio at times, it seems it depends on how busy the internet is. I have been on for over 1/2 hour with no problem then suddenly it starts clipping the audio. short calls seem to be ok. I have not had any good answers from MJ support on the problem

jeffish Guest

thanks bd im trying to save money i use my home phone a few times a month so it just doesnt seem right paying 30 + bucks monthly for something im not using frequently .thanks for your input ..

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 28x in 16 Posts

I've got one,works great for me. Much better that you can plug it directly into the modem.

ruthie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jeffish View Post
    thanks bd im trying to save money i use my home phone a few times a month so it just doesnt seem right paying 30 + bucks monthly for something im not using frequently .thanks for your input ..
    Do you have a cell phone?? Tonnes of peeps don't carry a home phone anymore, just use there cell phones...just a thought, and will have to check out the magic jack plus....had the first one out and HATED it pain in the ? with it being plugged into the com. and such ....have heard of ones that are a router/phone in one and are great...but just a newbie at the phone crap.....

cabofta Guest

can concur with "pilot" that MJ+ is great for occasional short calls. I have tried it as a cheaper alternative to my Vonage service and it doesn't even compare on call quality and reliability. of course you get what you pay for. MJ+ is very susceptible to Internet speeds (especially up speeds), delay and jitter. So use speedtest and check both first. Also, if you have a router that can do port traffic management on the ports for VOIP it will help as use of high bandwidth PC apps at the same time as a call will definitely screw it up. Don't try video streaming while trying to make a call. Do a Google search for VOIP providers and you will find several new players which use a free cisco adapter which has traffic monitoring built in.

elk10 Guest

I had Magic for over 18 months and now use Magic Jack plus for the last four months. I have cable internet and have only lost 1 call and that was not on my end. The plus is running on a powerline adapter and it will let me use my fax again. Paid for 5 more years and that makes my phone good until 2018. Can;t beat it. Can transfer calls to my cell when I want and take the MJ anywhere in the world. Calls to Canada and PR are included. No 411 charges or any 911 fees. What a deal!!!

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 69x in 43 Posts
    Items Rose
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 11:50 AM from ICEMAN

One very important thing to do is to enable QoS on whatever port your voip adapter is plugged into, regardless of what brand it is. If you have any IP phones, QoS will need to be enabled on those ports as well.

QoS = Quality Of Service, it sets a higher priority for traffic on ports on which it is enabled. This can help prevent dropped calls when you have a lot of traffic on your network.
    Satellite Equipment:
    10' Orbitron, Openbox S9, General Instrument 920
    Shaw subscription, HDPVR630, 2x HDDSR600,
    1m Channel Master (125w), Coolsat 8000

OTA Equipment:
    Unknown model VHF/UHF combo antenna, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Channel Master rotator, 35' Rohn 20G tower

FTA Guest

i've had a great time with them love the price .. sucks you have to pay for a canadian number but i have not had one issue with it in the 10 months i've been using it

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,036x in 1,728 Posts

My ex has one and likes it a lot better than the first version. She did have to buy a powered usb port tho cause her Dell PC doesn't do well as far as usb power. It's great that you don't have to have the PC on all the time for phone service. I use the nettalk dou and it works very well for me.
    You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

ashly Guest

does anyone know about obi 110 make call any way in the world for free