Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helpfull tips

dumb as a stump Guest

Default Helpfull tips

I have some helpful tips to quitting . First I'm a 20 year 2 pk a day smoker with the nick name of chiminey.< sp> When you want to - YOU CAN QUIT. You are stronger then your best friends. (the smokes) Best thing I ever did was quit. I don't want or crave them either. I still have the 1/2 pack I quit with in my truck( the best friend thing). So I stoped smoking in the house( got cold in the winter). I pulled off the filters & put them in my back pocket,and tossed the paper and tobacco.That way I counted and saw how much I smoked that day when I took off my pants at end of the day. Also It is more environmentally friendly cause those butts last forever. I delayed the first smoke of the day sometimes by hours because I have already gone 8 hours without a smoke. And I can go a little longer right? I changed my routine. Less coffee etc. (what ever you do most when you smoke now) Driving was the hardest just after I quit, But is fine now. If you fail and smoke remember that you aren't quitting just not haveing a smoke right now...So you will do better next time RIGHT. And yes I stumbled a number of times. BUT I'm all right now.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 68x in 21 Posts

it's been 16 days for me...I started on Jan 1st.... I'm a little more edgy then usual but I quit cold turkey...I'm feeling a little better then 1st few dys...
    Daddy & Mommy will always miss you

Please do not PM Me with questions
    Post them in the forums so others may learn and benefit from your experience.

dumb as a stump Guest

that's how I quit and you can do it. Keep up the good work. I feel sooooooo much better today and the money I'm saving Oh brother. Let us know how it goes even if you have one. Remember every day that passes is another day you havn't had a smoke .... and YES ITS OK TO COUNT THEM <G>.It get easier every day that passes.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,319x in 7,950 Posts
    Items GreeceCanada

I don't know about this cold turkey thing. I've been smoking for 32 years- got to put my mind to it.

sleddy2008 Guest

I have tried ,my wife says she is not ready to quit.How do I quit when my better half won't.We smoke outside but I still smell it and I have been very difficult to be around when I have tried to quit.The worst thing is we have 4 kids and I feel guilty when they see me smoking through the window.
    So much for the New Years resolution.

dumb as a stump Guest

I did it so it can be done. When you are ready start changeing where and when you smoke. You should realize that they are your best friends and are always there for you , to comfort you etc. But you know you want to quit and you know you should quit. And when you figure out you want to try to (not quit, just not have a butt) then you will give it a try.And if you slip start over ... Its doable Honest

dumb as a stump Guest

My wife still smokes. I even let her have 1 at the kitchen counter in the morning putting on her face with kitchen exhaust fan on. I ask her if she is ready yet occasionally but now one of those peaple (you know the ones). They used to bug me. The worst were the never smokers and how they don't understand why you need to BLA BLA BLA. If you want too, you can. This Feb it will be 2 years and I was ready. I had tried a few times and know down deep that it was the right thing for me to do. I didn't even like most of them any more. The morning one was nice and the after dinner. But on the up side less crap into my body now. My taste buds are better. Some stuff that I used to like, now not so much now but Oh well. I used to say somethings got to kill me why not this, you cant go around worring about it, every thing good kills ya. Energy level is higher, stairs better (but I still am out of shape and 48 years old) SO there is still work to do because stuff is starting to catch up to me now. I GOT TO MOVE FASTER.<G>

dumb as a stump Guest

Quote Originally Posted by n3uspeed2 View Post
    it's been 16 days for me...I started on Jan 1st.... I'm a little more edgy then usual but I quit cold turkey...I'm feeling a little better then 1st few dys...
    Speed2 how are you doin today did you make thru the day with out one?

dumb as a stump Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sleddy2008 View Post
    I have tried ,my wife says she is not ready to quit.How do I quit when my better half won't.We smoke outside but I still smell it and I have been very difficult to be around when I have tried to quit.The worst thing is we have 4 kids and I feel guilty when they see me smoking through the window.
    So much for the New Years resolution.
    You don't have to worry, go ahead even, if you missed new years. Every day is a good day to not have a butt.

steelpicker Guest

my wife had smoked for 45 yrs and i did for about 35 (plus all the second hand smoke from my early days of playing music in bars, etc., my doctors figure i have the lungs of some that smoked 60yrs). we quit 4 years ago, and after trying all the gum, patches, and all the other crap, got on Chantix...if you can get past weird dreams and some of the other side effects, this stuff works. neither of us crave a smoke, i can't stand being around them now. i have emphasema and rheumatiod desease, not being able to breath ain't fun. once i was shown my chest x-ray, all i could say to myself is: what the hell have i done? thinking about quitting is a start folks, take the next step, for both you, your loved ones, and everyone around you.

dumb as a stump Guest

Quote Originally Posted by steelpicker View Post
    my wife had smoked for 45 yrs and i did for about 35 (plus all the second hand smoke from my early days of playing music in bars, etc., my doctors figure i have the lungs of some that smoked 60yrs). we quit 4 years ago, and after trying all the gum, patches, and all the other crap, got on Chantix...if you can get past weird dreams and some of the other side effects, this stuff works. neither of us crave a smoke, i can't stand being around them now. i have emphasema and rheumatiod desease, not being able to breath ain't fun. once i was shown my chest x-ray, all i could say to myself is: what the hell have i done? thinking about quitting is a start folks, take the next step, for both you, your loved ones, and everyone around you.
    Well the best part is you took the step and made it. Do you feel better? I did mine cold turkey but whatever works. I dont know if the chantix is avail here in canada but Im just starting to see the commercials on tv( we are near the border).I tried the patch years ago but I didnt find it did anything for the cravings. I just had to power on thru it and if I was grumpy OH WELL.<G>

fifties Guest

My story;

I had seen a picture of a pair of lungs from a chain smoker, compared to those of someone who had never smoked, and it got my mind in gear to quit.

One day at work a few weeks later, I decided to see how few cigarettes I could smoke (my norm had been about a pack and a half a day).

After each smoke, I asked myself, "why did you have that cigarette?" The answer was usually, "because I was under stress". "Well, you were under stress when you were a kid, and you didn't need to light up then", was my answer back.

I smoked I think 8 cigarettes that day, and after the last one, the curse was broken. That was November 30, 1981. I had been smoking for 24 years, since 1957.

My wife continued smoking for about two years after that, but it didn't bother me. I had tried innumerable times before, lasting but a few hours. This time I had DONE it, and no power on earth was gonna get me started again.

She came home from the doctor's office one day, and said he detected that she had the beginning of Emphysema, and she could quit now, or she would quit later. She made a drink and had one last cigarette, quitting Cold Turkey as I had.

Funny, it's the hardest, and yet the easiest way to stop.

inter56 Guest

Thumbs up champix in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by dumb as a stump View Post
    Well the best part is you took the step and made it. Do you feel better? I did mine cold turkey but whatever works. I dont know if the chantix is avail here in canada but Im just starting to see the commercials on tv( we are near the border).I tried the patch years ago but I didnt find it did anything for the cravings. I just had to power on thru it and if I was grumpy OH WELL.<G>
    Hi All, the mentioned chantix in USA is available in Canada as Champix I'm using it as I wanted to quit smoking. it has been 17 days now no cravings no side effects so everything is going ok it's hard but with a bit of will power anything can be done.
    INTER56

steelpicker Guest

stick with it, it gets easier (these days, i can't stand being around 'em). my only complaint about quitting is that my prescriptions, as a result of smoking, costs more than my habit...i do however, live in the middle of tobacco country. keep it up

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 68x in 21 Posts

It's been since January the 1st for me. I was very edgy the past few weeks... but slowly it's getting better for me. I feel alot better I still get tempted and have cravings ...I quit Coffee as well though they go hand in hand. I didn't gain any weight...I did not chew gum ...or use any of those things... I used alot of rubbing menthol...I have to smell the scent... but I guess it's better then inhaling cigarettes... Also...praying helps as well... everytime you want to smoke just look over to your kids...and look at them it make you want to live just a little longer.
    Daddy & Mommy will always miss you

Please do not PM Me with questions
    Post them in the forums so others may learn and benefit from your experience.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast