Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange sound comming from my Nighthawk???

Mavrick Guest

Default Strange sound comming from my Nighthawk???

I own a Honda 450 nighthawk and have always noticed a strange knocking sound when up-shifting on the bike, the knocking is not in-time with anything turning in the engine or wheels, it's a slow "clunking" sound that's there after up-shifting until the RPM's get higher then it goes away until I up-shift again to the next gear (it's not there at-all when down-shifting). Any ideas from you bike experts out there......

FTA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
    I own a Honda 450 nighthawk and have always noticed a strange knocking sound when up-shifting on the bike, the knocking is not in-time with anything turning in the engine or wheels, it's a slow "clunking" sound that's there after up-shifting until the RPM's get higher then it goes away until I up-shift again to the next gear (it's not there at-all when down-shifting). Any ideas from you bike experts out there......
    is it coming from tranny or motor ...

if it is from tranny try shifting with no clutch see if it still clunks if not its clutch plate on the upshift not a huge deal

kijiji Guest

Dose it sound like its coming from the tranny ?

Mavrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FTA View Post

if it is from tranny try shifting with no clutch see if it still clunks if not its clutch plate on the upshift not a huge deal
    Quote Originally Posted by kijiji View Post
    Dose it sound like its coming from the tranny ?
    It's kinda hard to tell where it's comming from but I think it's comming from the trany, I can't get it to "clunk" when it's on the stand and I put it in gear, only happens when moving on the road. I will try shifting without the clutch today and see if it still does it.........

ignored ant Guest

Kinda sounds like a bent shifting fork in trans,Needs the RPM's to fully engage the gear mesh.

Mavrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ignored ant View Post
    Kinda sounds like a bent shifting fork in trans,Needs the RPM's to fully engage the gear mesh.
    Sounds like that might be it, I don't know enough about bikes to be sure. Is there any kind of test I do to check if that's indeed the problem?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Yup, it's called the bathtub test, that is where you take apart the tranny in the bathtub, (you don't loose any parts that way) (your girlfriend, wife or mother may not like it) and take the shifting fork down to the parts store to compare it to the new one you may need.

One other test is if you can get a small magnetic probe (don't use a home made one, you may wind up removing the side covers or tranny) in through the tranny oil fill hole,(this way you don't have to take any side covers off) and see if you have a lot of very fine metal filings in the bottom of the tranny,(a small amount is nothing to worry about) this will tell you if you need to remove the tranny (or engine) for service.

Lots of small metal filings means you have excessive gear lash do to uneven wear from an improper seating of the gears, ( bent fork) the "thunk" noise are the gears fully meshing.(only under a heavy load)

Another way is to take it down to the bike shop and have them check it out for you, this will save the wear and tear on the bathtub, and keeps the significant other from using a baseball bat on you and your bike.

A word to some, take the carpet out of the living room, and use some plastic sheeting on the floor when rebuilding your bike, it saves on the cleanup.
    ♫♫♫ I知 a lumberjack and I知 OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

One last thing, have you checked the tranny oil?

"If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Mavrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Terryl View Post
    One last thing, have you checked the tranny oil?
    Tranny operates from the same oil as the engine, and all is well with that, no leaks or metal at the bottom of the pan when I changed the engine oil last.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

How many miles on it, and what blend (if any) oil did you use?

"Can you HIDE it"?

Mavrick Guest

The bike only has about 15000 miles on it, I can't remeber exactly what blend of oil I used but I know it was the blend recomended in the owners manual.
    Last edited by Mavrick; 08-31-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Mavrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FTA View Post

Ok, tried shifting without the clutch and the "clunking" is still there. It happens in every gear but only upshifting, it never pops out of gear and there is never any problems getting it into any gear ?

ignored ant Guest

Have you changed it to check for metal filings ?

A good premium grade oil such as Castrol GTX always helps also.

Also if you could securely "block it off the ground",,So rear wheel is up,

You could check drive train with it running
    Last edited by ignored ant; 08-31-2012 at 02:38 PM.

FTA Guest

i jus spoke with a friend of mine he says that the clunking is kind of a normal honda thing .. 2 things he said to try is to bleed the clutch out and secondly bleed out oil and replace with wynthetic 10w 50 if it only does it when it is cold then try getting a master cylinder kit for the clutch ... it may or may not improve it i guess it is a normal honda thing!

Mavrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ignored ant View Post
    Have you changed it to check for metal filings ?

A good premium grade oil such as Castrol GTX always helps also.

Also if you could securely "block it off the ground",,So rear wheel is up,

You could check drive train with it running
    Didn't find any filings the last time I changed the oil. I did put it on the centre-stand and ran it in gear (got it up to 3rd I think) and there was no "clunking" sounds. It seems it only makes the noise when there is a load put on the trany.......
    Last edited by Mavrick; 08-31-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast