Thread: dish-motor-setup-made-easy

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 103x in 16 Posts

Default dish-motor-setup-made-easy

Dish setup 101.This is a guide for setting up your dish and motor. Some variances may apply based on your location.I hope this helps you as this is what I figured out myself from my experience of setting up my first dish. please make this a stickie.Thankyou

Satllite setup with motor in easy form

Step 1
    Mount your mast on the wall and make sure that it is level right to left and front to back.

Step 2

Mount your motor to your dish making sure that they are totaly in line like the letter T.

Step 3

Carefully place motor and dish onto mast without disrupting anything.(Don't tighten bolts fully yet.Just snug).

Step 4

go on to internet and find what you location is for latitude and lontitude.Write them down for your refference later when you are at the dish.

Step 5

Look at your longtitude. (Example) If you ar located at 101.235 Degrees west then sat 101 would be your true south.Write that down on your paper.

Step 6

Go on net using dish pointer or sat calculator and type in your location and motorized system (what type of motor you have) and the sat you are going to aim at.
    Once you have done that scroll down to where it shows the settings for your location.Write down what your motor angle is and what your dish setting is.

Step 7

Go to dish and connect lnb to motor and motor to receiver hooked up to tv.Look at your paper and adjust motor to what your setting says(Lock it down).
    Set your dish to what your setting specifies and just snug the bolts encase further adjustment is needed.

Step 8

using a compass find where the location of that sat would be and carefully move motor and dish to that location.
    If there are trees or buildings in the way don't worry just use this as a refference point and then you can aim at another sat in the clear.
    If this is the case,on some motors they have a degree wheel on the top for you to see.Make sure that your motor is set to zero on the bottom firs at the shaft and then zero at the top.
    Now you are in the drivers seat.Using the manual buttons on your motor drive your dish to the clear sat.(Example). Your true south is sat 101 but there are things in the way and sat 91 is in the clear.
    sat 91 is 10 degrees to the left.Look at the top of your motor and manually drive the dish to the left 10 degrees.
    I myself used a makeup mirror and plced it in the window so that I could see what the quality and singal was from the dish.(Made it easier).

Step 9

When you arrive at the sat and you see the quality and signal on the tv,lightly play with the dish or motor pulling or pushing on it to see which gives you more.
    On the motor try a little left or right and on the dish try left,right or up and down.(Using a good Transponder)

Step 10

When you have good signal and quality blind scan that sat and then scroll down to where it says motor.Click on it and go to usals and save or store position and enable it.
    Continue to do this with other sats and have fun in the world of fta.Cheers
    Last edited by Costactc; 09-29-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 274x in 145 Posts
    Items Dish
Gift received at 02-23-2020, 05:08 PM from BluegrassMonitor
Gift received at 02-23-2020, 05:08 PM from BluegrassCheetos
Gift received at 02-23-2020, 05:08 PM from BluegrassCrown Royal
Gift received at 02-23-2020, 05:08 PM from BluegrassA Beer
Gift received at 02-23-2020, 05:08 PM from Bluegrass
Gift received at 02-23-2020, 05:08 PM from BluegrassYacht
Gift received at 02-23-2020, 05:08 PM from BluegrassVintage truck
Gift received at 02-23-2020, 05:08 PM from Bluegrass

A very important point is making sure the mount is plumb both vertical & horizontal, if not you can't possibly pick up all the satellites.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 236x in 182 Posts

The dollar store has a pipe level that I use and works great!

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,256x in 7,929 Posts
    Items GreeceCanada

I had to reinstall a pipe for my 8' dish last year as the previous one wasn't plumb but still was able to scan in all sats but a bit less signal quality.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 38x in 20 Posts

Much easier and more accurate is to use solar noon for your location. The chart you receive with your motor gives elevation spec,s, set that and with a line drawn through the top/bottom of you dish suspend a dish from the LNB mounting hole to the top indent of the dish. At solar noon rotate the dish and attached motor until the shadow line overlays the line and lock everything down. You are done except to find your first sat. Each receiver is different to do that but I agree use a strong transponder on that sat.