Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VS 9000HD Power supply

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 30x in 3 Posts

Default VS 9000HD Power supply

Does anyone know anything about the Viewsat 9000HD Power supply problems? How to correct the defects.
    I have found the voltages in the 50v and 3.3v connections are giving me less voltages.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 86x in 53 Posts

I had the same problems with mine, never could get it resolved. Ended up getting a Maxhd on fleabay, thats still running fine. They're alot of smart people here so maybe someone will tell you how to fix it, good luck

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Best thing to do is replace it, but since the Viewsat line of receivers is out of production it may be hard to find a new one.

Try this place, they may be able to fix it for you.
    Code:
    http://www.power-supply-repair.com/?gclid=CNXBk67bg7MCFQSCQgodT0MAcA
    Or you can try a cap replacement.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 12x in 10 Posts

My 9000HD was getting slow to boot. It should show "booting" in a couple of seconds of main power switch turn on. I would switch rx on and wait for 30 sec for it to indicate booting. This became 60 after another month. I noticed the 2 fans that I wired internally would pulse on then off and this would repeat. When they would finally stay on, then the booting indication would display. Finally one day it wouldn't boot.

This is a switching power supply I'm guessing. Once it died I could hear it make a repeating click sound. I disconnected the wire harness header and powered up to see if the mainboard was loading down the supply but there was now no clicking sound and no dc voltages likely because there is a sensing cct. I plugged the header back in and now it would click and I measured a pulsing dc voltage, just like the fans were pulsing. The dc shouldn't be pulsing but it's switching incorrectly. Then I noticed a swollen cap near the front right side of the ps board and it is labelled EC201. It is a 2200uf 10v electrolytic cap.

I pulled the power cord, pulled the ps board out, replaced that one cap and now I'm back up and running. When I searched the problem with google, lots of people had opinions about boot loop blah blah blah. If your voltages aren't there or they are pulsing, and they're marked on the cct board what they should be, try changing this cap even if it isn't swollen, it could still have failed. Remember to power down before pulling the board, and note the electrolytic caps are marked with a minus on one side and that matches the thick black print on the cct board. If you don't already know this, you might want to get help from a buddy that does. And if you're not sure what you're doing in there, call a buddy that does. Current kills! Good luck

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dishfish For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2x in 2 Posts

Dishfish is right. Those capacitors on the power supply have had a bad rep for years. Replacements are cheap and easy to install. If that's not it you might check the main board. I believe one of the transistors is also likely to cause problems. It should be attached to a heat sink near the front right hand (cable connect side). Can't remember the code off hand but km419 sounds about right.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 3x in 2 Posts

I have a dead 9000HD because the PSdied. You can't find replacements unless you get another VS 9000 HD lol. And I also have 1 with bad caps. I might fix that one. These are nice receivers

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 5x in 4 Posts

Just wondering if you had to use the same PS from another 9000hd or would a PS from a say 2000 work?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,499x in 1,776 Posts
    Items A Beer
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 10:52 PM from BluegrassACDC
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 10:52 PM from BluegrassYacht
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 10:52 PM from Bluegrasshelicopter
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 10:52 PM from BluegrassMotorcycle
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 10:52 PM from BluegrassSoccerCanada

Get the fan working again and the unit will power up and work.

On these units the main board senses if the fan is working or not.

If fan is NOT working ---protection circuit cuts power to main board and the unit appears dead.

sideswiper is offline Member/NRA 500 Nascar Pool Winner/Coke Zero 400 NASCAR Pool Winne
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700x in 619 Posts
    Items A Beer
Gift received at 03-21-2020, 02:43 AM from BluegrassMedal 3
Gift received at 03-21-2020, 02:43 AM from BluegrassCamaro
Gift received at 03-21-2020, 02:43 AM from BluegrassRep
Gift received at 03-21-2020, 02:43 AM from Bluegrass
Gift received at 03-19-2020, 01:48 AM from BluegrassVintage truck
Gift received at 03-19-2020, 01:48 AM from BluegrassCrown Royal
Gift received at 03-19-2020, 01:48 AM from BluegrassDish
Gift received at 03-19-2020, 01:48 AM from Bluegrass

Quote Originally Posted by reap70 View Post
    Just wondering if you had to use the same PS from another 9000hd or would a PS from a say 2000 work?
    2 Different boards not the same wont work

sideswiper is offline Member/NRA 500 Nascar Pool Winner/Coke Zero 400 NASCAR Pool Winne
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700x in 619 Posts
    Items A Beer
Gift received at 03-21-2020, 02:43 AM from BluegrassMedal 3
Gift received at 03-21-2020, 02:43 AM from BluegrassCamaro
Gift received at 03-21-2020, 02:43 AM from BluegrassRep
Gift received at 03-21-2020, 02:43 AM from Bluegrass
Gift received at 03-19-2020, 01:48 AM from BluegrassVintage truck
Gift received at 03-19-2020, 01:48 AM from BluegrassCrown Royal
Gift received at 03-19-2020, 01:48 AM from BluegrassDish
Gift received at 03-19-2020, 01:48 AM from Bluegrass

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    Get the fan working again and the unit will power up and work.

On these units the main board senses if the fan is working or not.

If fan is NOT working ---protection circuit cuts power to main board and the unit appears dead.
    The version 1 never came with a fan

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 11x in 11 Posts
    Items Hockey
Gift received at 06-29-2013, 03:22 PM from darlinkat

Thanks Dishfish.... My receiver went off and on a few times then nothing. Did a search and came up with this thread....EC201 cap on mine was bulging on the top......$2 cap and I'm back up and running.
    Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Dishfish View Post
    My 9000HD was getting slow to boot. It should show "booting" in a couple of seconds of main power switch turn on. I would switch rx on and wait for 30 sec for it to indicate booting. This became 60 after another month. I noticed the 2 fans that I wired internally would pulse on then off and this would repeat. When they would finally stay on, then the booting indication would display. Finally one day it wouldn't boot.

This is a switching power supply I'm guessing. Once it died I could hear it make a repeating click sound. I disconnected the wire harness header and powered up to see if the mainboard was loading down the supply but there was now no clicking sound and no dc voltages likely because there is a sensing cct. I plugged the header back in and now it would click and I measured a pulsing dc voltage, just like the fans were pulsing. The dc shouldn't be pulsing but it's switching incorrectly. Then I noticed a swollen cap near the front right side of the ps board and it is labelled EC201. It is a 2200uf 10v electrolytic cap.

I pulled the power cord, pulled the ps board out, replaced that one cap and now I'm back up and running. When I searched the problem with google, lots of people had opinions about boot loop blah blah blah. If your voltages aren't there or they are pulsing, and they're marked on the cct board what they should be, try changing this cap even if it isn't swollen, it could still have failed. Remember to power down before pulling the board, and note the electrolytic caps are marked with a minus on one side and that matches the thick black print on the cct board. If you don't already know this, you might want to get help from a buddy that does. And if you're not sure what you're doing in there, call a buddy that does. Current kills! Good luck

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts

I found this thread doing a search, glad i did, it was that there EC201, had it up in about 15 min.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 166x in 106 Posts
    Items HeadstonesTV

Change all the caps is the first thing. My Max power supply died. I modified one out of a VS Pro and it has been working great ever since.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 243x in 142 Posts
    Items DishWhiskeyA BeerPresentpoisonTreasureCashRibbon 3

cap meter are $15 on ebay good to have when fixing PSU.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Hi Dishfish, I just read your post after posting my thread. My VS9000HD did not die but had issues with Signal strength and quality. If it is a capacitor issue I will try to replace it. Is it possible for you to post the picture of that CAP?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast