Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VS 9000HD Power supply

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts

Default viewsat max hd

Quote Originally Posted by dcapper View Post
    Change all the caps is the first thing. My Max power supply died. I modified one out of a VS Pro and it has been working great ever since.

Hi my vs max died too.... I bought a vs pro how do I change the connector what did you do.....

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 9x in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dishfish View Post
    My 9000HD was getting slow to boot. It should show "booting" in a couple of seconds of main power switch turn on. I would switch rx on and wait for 30 sec for it to indicate booting. This became 60 after another month. I noticed the 2 fans that I wired internally would pulse on then off and this would repeat. When they would finally stay on, then the booting indication would display. Finally one day it wouldn't boot.

This is a switching power supply I'm guessing. Once it died I could hear it make a repeating click sound. I disconnected the wire harness header and powered up to see if the mainboard was loading down the supply but there was now no clicking sound and no dc voltages likely because there is a sensing cct. I plugged the header back in and now it would click and I measured a pulsing dc voltage, just like the fans were pulsing. The dc shouldn't be pulsing but it's switching incorrectly. Then I noticed a swollen cap near the front right side of the ps board and it is labelled EC201. It is a 2200uf 10v electrolytic cap.

I pulled the power cord, pulled the ps board out, replaced that one cap and now I'm back up and running. When I searched the problem with google, lots of people had opinions about boot loop blah blah blah. If your voltages aren't there or they are pulsing, and they're marked on the cct board what they should be, try changing this cap even if it isn't swollen, it could still have failed. Remember to power down before pulling the board, and note the electrolytic caps are marked with a minus on one side and that matches the thick black print on the cct board. If you don't already know this, you might want to get help from a buddy that does. And if you're not sure what you're doing in there, call a buddy that does. Current kills! Good luck
    I know that this is old but can anyone that made the repair to the power supply tell me if it last long time with that repair ?
    just evaluating if it is worth the trouble.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

If you have a cap problem (tops of the caps are bulged up) and use good quality parts to replace them (same uF rating but one step higher voltage, 10 volts up to 16-25 volts) then they should work as long or longer then the first ones did.

But remember this is a switching power supply, some very high AC voltages are present when the unit is powered up, do not touch any of the heat sinks or other exposed metal parts if the unit is plugged into the wall, also wait a few before trying to remove it from the chassis. Touch the wrong part when powered up and you may wake up against the wall.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 9x in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terryl View Post
    If you have a cap problem (tops of the caps are bulged up) and use good quality parts to replace them (same uF rating but one step higher voltage, 10 volts up to 16-25 volts) then they should work as long or longer then the first ones did.

But remember this is a switching power supply, some very high AC voltages are present when the unit is powered up, do not touch any of the heat sinks or other exposed metal parts if the unit is plugged into the wall, also wait a few before trying to remove it from the chassis. Touch the wrong part when powered up and you may wake up against the wall.
    i no how to change cap but don't want to do cap change every month !!!!

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Quote Originally Posted by pierrepeter333 View Post
    i no how to change cap but don't want to do cap change every month !!!!

Use good quality caps and it would be many years....Order from a company called Digikey or Mouser.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 9x in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terryl View Post
    Use good quality caps and it would be many years....Order from a company called Digikey or Mouser.
    Thanks will change caps

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 199x in 67 Posts
    Items Yacht
Gift received at 03-08-2020, 08:03 PM from BluegrassCrown Royal
Gift received at 03-08-2020, 08:03 PM from BluegrassA Beer
Gift received at 03-08-2020, 08:03 PM from Bluegrass
Gift received at 03-08-2020, 08:03 PM from BluegrassVintage truck
Gift received at 03-08-2020, 08:03 PM from BluegrassCamaro
Gift received at 03-08-2020, 08:03 PM from BluegrassCheetos
Gift received at 03-08-2020, 08:03 PM from BluegrassMonitor
Gift received at 03-08-2020, 08:03 PM from Bluegrass

Here is the Pro very reasonable and will never blow again

Daniel Zielinski
    5468 NW Empress Cir
    Port ST Lucie FL 34983
    US

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,293x in 2,137 Posts
    Items BurgerA Beertreasure chestPresentRainbowRepWireless AccessTreasure

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Here is the Pro very reasonable and will never blow again

Daniel Zielinski
    5468 NW Empress Cir
    Port ST Lucie FL 34983
    US

Dan has retired from the FTA Repair Stuff, no longer doing it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12