Thread: What is an ECM? Find out here.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 9x in 3 Posts

Default What is an ECM? Find out here.

This is a great post to make a sticky. I'm sure there are many in this forum who wonder what an ECM is. Just a suggestion.

Here's the link. Not sure if this is posted elsewhere on this site.
    Cheers

HTML Code:
    http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/521490.html
    Panema

See a c/p of the link here.

ECM = Electonic Counter Messure, is a term used by the satellite hobby, to describe what the satellite provider's (Dishnetwork and Bev) use and do, to prevent stealing of their signals aka "piracy"...These ECM's are done in many various ways..

Ecm Info

With every ECM there is always a fair bit of misinformation about regarding the new encryption techniques used, and how it may portend the death of FTA.

With the present difficulties, for instance, the following items of interest have been repeated around the net on various sites:

* This ECM is specifically targeted at FTA
    * Multiple MAP call are being used
    * A dynamic code is being used
    * There is a new timer function

This ECM is specifically targeted at FTA

This is likely true! Card based hacks like plastic, card-sharing, and IKS (Internet Key Sharing, another form of card sharing) access video encryption differently than the emu in FTA firmware. Card solutions simply send encrypted VPID (video packets) to the descrambler chip where the included CW (control word) packets are sent right away to the CAM (conditional access module/card), the answer is sent back and then applied to the video packet. The actual CAM values, apart from definitions and order of the CW gathering commands (i.e., MAP calls) need not be known, as it is all done automatically when requests are sent to the card. FTA firmware on the other hand must know the precise CAM locations and thus order and routine of MAP calls, and this has to be patched into each bin; when this changes a new bin is required where relevant portions of the CAM are emulated.

Multiple MAP calls are being used

This is true, however this is nothing new either. Providers routinely use at least 4 or 5 MAP calls at any given time. MAP calls are intense arithmetic equations that request CWs from the CAM to be sent back to the descrambler. We now have 4e and 4d; there are others in play, but apparently these particular ones are the difficulties (i.e., CAM location unknown).

A dynamic code is being used

Dynamic implies changing according to some input. It sounds scary, like a mutating virus, lol. In actuality, dynamic is little different that random at the level of intense mathematics as the functions and outputs are extremely difficult or impossible to be predicted. By definition, control words are random numbers.

There is a new timer function

Each channel uses different CWs, and this is how now for instance some locals may be viewable and other pay channels remain scrambled. CWs change every few minutes, and this in itself is as secure as practically can be: even an NSA super-cryto computer could not solve an 8-byte algorithm in 2 minutes, lol. CWs have always changed this fast, and all TV providers, even cable, use the same system.

So what is going on?

Nothing radically new, likely. Coders are not crytologists, and even if they were, it would be senseless to attempt decryption on something that changes as quickly as CWs, as mentioned above. And neither can card data be read with any apparent ease (remember all the baloney a year ago about peeling the cards and reading with an electron microscope, hahahahaha, if you believed that one, well, I have some bog land you may be interested in.). Some CAM locations are known, some are not. ALL of the MAP calls CW answers are currently in the cards and are not changeable, this requires a card swap. What can be changed are the specific MAP calls and their order. These can be read and defined, and even used for card hacking (why IKS is up and running), but FTA is a different story, as mentioned.

Coders must be given specific CAM locations which can be patched into or emulated for FTA binary files. Saying a bin has the full emu is ridiculous, as it can't by sheer size limitations, as it would have to run in non-decompressed format. What is needed is a MAP map, as it were, lol. Or at least someone to give directions, like a navigator.

Most of this information is purchased rather than hacked, at least initially. When a group says they have the full emu, what should be understood is that they have access to the information, and it may be purchased as a service over a period of time. This is rather like calling up customer service plan: you call to say your widget isn't working, and being told to press buttons 1, 2, 3, then A, B, C in that order, you do, it works, but you have no idea why. It seems Viewsat had an arrangement like this after MAP57, they bought a 1 year plan, lol. Others can purchase information on a one-off basis. Or once a bin is released, the bin can be dumped and reverse engineered for patching to different boxes, but this takes a little extra time.
    Last edited by Costactc; 01-19-2013 at 02:15 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to panema For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 274x in 145 Posts
    Items Dish
Gift received at 02-23-2020, 05:08 PM from BluegrassMonitor
Gift received at 02-23-2020, 05:08 PM from BluegrassCheetos
Gift received at 02-23-2020, 05:08 PM from BluegrassCrown Royal
Gift received at 02-23-2020, 05:08 PM from BluegrassA Beer
Gift received at 02-23-2020, 05:08 PM from Bluegrass
Gift received at 02-23-2020, 05:08 PM from BluegrassYacht
Gift received at 02-23-2020, 05:08 PM from BluegrassVintage truck
Gift received at 02-23-2020, 05:08 PM from Bluegrass

Great information thanks.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,256x in 7,929 Posts
    Items GreeceCanada

As per request- sticky but moving to general receiver discussions as ecm affects all receivers.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 209x in 123 Posts

A lot of useful informatioon on ECM . I have not seen the experts of this site made any comment on this post. I am glad to know if the information is accurate .

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,237x in 6,877 Posts
    Items Martini
Gift received at 12-13-2013, 03:34 PM from swanner
Celebration Time, Keep up the good work BudSome beer
Gift received at 07-18-2013, 04:52 PM from marcelect
Message: wHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND.HAvein this heat wavethis cold oneFriesPizzaBurgerBeefTrophy 3
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 11:21 AM from ICEMANFootball
Gift received at 11-06-2012, 03:44 AM from Styx_N_Stones

'lol I gave him a couple g's and he blew it all in a matter of hrs'

I didn't want you to think I was spending the money on myself. That's why I posted a reply explaining where the SatFix Bux went.

Here's a little token of my gratitude for your generous donation. Please accept it in the spirit that its meant...

S_N_S

Quote Originally Posted by eramnauth View Post
    A lot of useful informatioon on ECM . I have not seen the experts of this site made any comment on this post. I am glad to know if the information is accurate .
    The information is accurate hence why no comments as they are not needed.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anubis For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,523x in 764 Posts

It is old info from the end of N2 days. It may or may not have any real meaning for current cards other than the definition of ECM. Some is even a little off in what it describes, but I figure it was written by someone not really informed at deep level.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jvvh5897 For This Useful Post:

Condor is offline Jr Admin/Satfix 2016 Football Pool - Week 10 & Week 15 Champ
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,837x in 5,629 Posts
    Items Mexico
Gift received at 04-01-2014, 11:29 PM from hedley
Gift received at 06-11-2013, 04:36 PM from darlinkat
HugsUSA
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 03:37 PM from ICEMAN
Gift received at 10-02-2012, 02:00 PM from ICEMAN
Gift received at 09-29-2012, 11:31 PM from clarkBENT

Quote Originally Posted by jvvh5897 View Post
    It is old info from the end of N2 days. It may or may not have any real meaning for current cards other than the definition of ECM. Some is even a little off in what it describes, but I figure it was written by someone not really informed at deep level.
    Absolutely correct, Most is not relevant anymore........

The only thing I am afraid of is what I am capable of

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Condor For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,237x in 6,877 Posts
    Items Martini
Gift received at 12-13-2013, 03:34 PM from swanner
Celebration Time, Keep up the good work BudSome beer
Gift received at 07-18-2013, 04:52 PM from marcelect
Message: wHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND.HAvein this heat wavethis cold oneFriesPizzaBurgerBeefTrophy 3
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 11:21 AM from ICEMANFootball
Gift received at 11-06-2012, 03:44 AM from Styx_N_Stones

'lol I gave him a couple g's and he blew it all in a matter of hrs'

I didn't want you to think I was spending the money on myself. That's why I posted a reply explaining where the SatFix Bux went.

Here's a little token of my gratitude for your generous donation. Please accept it in the spirit that its meant...

S_N_S

I was going by the ecm info. and the date frame of the post.