LAS VEGAS (AP) -- San Francisco Giants pitcher Sergio Romo is facing a misdemeanor summons in Las Vegas alleging he violated airport rules after being detained by authorities at McCarran International Airport on New Year's Day.
The federal Transportation Security Administration issued a statement Thursday saying Romo failed to provide proper identification at a document checkpoint and engaged in a dispute with TSA officers about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
Officer Jose Hernandez said Las Vegas police issued the 29-year-old Romo a summons to appear in Las Vegas Justice Court. His court date wasn't immediately available.
"I would like to sincerely apologize about the recent events at the Las Vegas airport which brought negative attention to the San Francisco Giants' organization and its fans," Romo said in a statement released by the team Thursday night. "I love and respect the Giants, my teammates and our fans and promise to conduct myself in the future in the 'San Francisco Giants Way.'"
The incident was first reported by KGO-TV in San Francisco with a photo showing Romo attending a Dec. 30 party in Las Vegas.
TSA spokesman Nico Melendez in Los Angeles says the security of other travelers wasn't compromised.

130103175954-sergio-romo-getty2-single-image-cut.jpg