Thread: Changing out the old plugs , but no ground

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 720x in 142 Posts

Default Changing out the old plugs , but no ground

My Mother in laws' house still has the old 2 prong plugs and most of them are worn, where a plug wants to just fall back out, she still has the old fuse boxes , with the round screw in fuses....lol.... it's still dated as inspected in 1954... True stuff!

I bought a whole box of new plugs to replace several of them , An electrician , I am NOT ... I changed one of them, and it's working, but there isn't a ground wire anywhere inside of the plug to connect to the ground on the plug, only a white and black wire.... Can I run a ground wire to the metal box that holds the plugs ? or will new grounds need to be run somewhere else ?

The plug that I replaced works fine now, but , I know that the ground isn't any good to us like that ....

BPG~
    Keep your friends Names in your heart, and not in your mouth..... Don't be a snitch

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 25x in 15 Posts

Most houses before 1970 did not run a true ground. Many just tied the ground to the white(L2). There are ways to create a true ground, metal water pipe, or drive a grounding rod.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to juka For This Useful Post:

BPG

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 720x in 142 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by juka View Post
    Most houses before 1970 did not run a true ground. Many just tied the ground to the white(L2). There are ways to create a true ground, metal water pipe, or drive a grounding rod.
    So, I could run another wire from the white side to the grounding screw on the new outlet ? thanks for the advice ..

BPG~
    Keep your friends Names in your heart, and not in your mouth..... Don't be a snitch

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 69x in 43 Posts
    Items Rose
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 11:50 AM from ICEMAN

Do NOT connect the ground screw to the neutral side of the outlet. This is very dangerous, and very illegal. The neutral conductor is a current carrying conductor could have voltage present. If the ground and neutral were connected together at the outlet, an appliance with a metal chassis would become energized, posing a shock hazard. It could also result in damage to certain electronics depending on their design.

The safest way to install three pronged outlets without rewiring is to replace the first outlet on each circuit with a GFCI. The rest of the outlets would connect to the "load" side of the GFCI, providing protection against hot-ground faults. Downstream outlets are required to be labelled with "GFCI protected-No Equipment Ground". It's not the best solution, but it is code compliant and does provide a margin of safety. You will not have a true ground, however. This could be a problem for some electronics.

It might be a bit of a challenge to find the first outlet on each circuit, so an alternative is to use these right at the panel:
    d7e908a1-ae06-4f08-87e0-109914b01bd4_300.jpg

Running a separate ground wire may be illegal, check with the inspector in your area before considering that route.
    Last edited by satchick; 01-17-2013 at 03:44 AM.
    Satellite Equipment:
    10' Orbitron, Openbox S9, General Instrument 920
    Shaw subscription, HDPVR630, 2x HDDSR600,
    1m Channel Master (125w), Coolsat 8000

OTA Equipment:
    Unknown model VHF/UHF combo antenna, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Channel Master rotator, 35' Rohn 20G tower

6. The Following User Says Thank You to satchick For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 258x in 142 Posts

That vintage was BX cable and the metal box for the outlet is already ground via the armored cable.
    Since the ground screw is on the same bracket you screw the outlet to the box with, the 3rd prong should be ground when you mount the outlet.
    There are testers for 3prong outlets they sell,get one and check it after the install.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,262x in 1,088 Posts
    Items Crown Royal
Gift received at 03-15-2020, 03:59 PM from BluegrassA Beer
Gift received at 03-15-2020, 03:59 PM from Bluegrass
Message: Just because you have been a member for a long time and because I wanted to....DeeMonitor
Gift received at 03-15-2020, 03:59 PM from BluegrassCheetos
Gift received at 03-15-2020, 03:59 PM from BluegrassBurger
Gift received at 03-15-2020, 03:59 PM from Bluegrasshelicopter
Gift received at 03-15-2020, 03:59 PM from BluegrassMini Cooper
Gift received at 03-15-2020, 03:59 PM from BluegrassVintage truck
Gift received at 03-15-2020, 03:59 PM from Bluegrass

In Canada the Canadian Electrical Code states that it is acceptable to install a GFCI receptacle closest to the breaker, and have the rest of the receptacles on that circuit connected the load side of the GFCI. My code book is packed away in a box so I don't have the exact wording, but it should be in section 26, subsection 700.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 69x in 43 Posts
    Items Rose
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 11:50 AM from ICEMAN

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    That vintage was BX cable and the metal box for the outlet is already ground via the armored cable.
    That's not always the case. Non-metallic cable started to show up in the 40's (similar to modern romex with with rubber insulation). If you do indeed have BX, you need to make sure that you have a continuous run from the boxes to the panel.
    Satellite Equipment:
    10' Orbitron, Openbox S9, General Instrument 920
    Shaw subscription, HDPVR630, 2x HDDSR600,
    1m Channel Master (125w), Coolsat 8000

OTA Equipment:
    Unknown model VHF/UHF combo antenna, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Channel Master rotator, 35' Rohn 20G tower

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 19x in 11 Posts

Legal way would be to install a GFI outlet .... as per NEC code ...

.. and then every outlet installed like that individually ....

ie ....

Under what condition can a two-wire receptacle be replaced with a three-wire receptacle, when no ground is available in the box?

A. Where no equipment bonding means exists in the outlet box, nongrounding-type receptacles can be replaced with [406.3(D)(3)]:

Another nongrounding-type receptacle.
    A GFCI grounding-type receptacle marked "No Equipment Ground."
    A grounding-type receptacle, if GFCI protected and marked "GFCI Protected" and "No Equipment Ground."
    Note: GFCI protection functions properly on a 2-wire circuit without an equipment grounding (bonding) conductor, because the equipment grounding (bonding) conductor serves no role in the operation of the GFCI-protection device.
    Last edited by The BK; 03-16-2013 at 02:31 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to The BK For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 19x in 11 Posts

here ..

so your standing naked in a bathtub full of water .....

you put one finger in the netrual side of the GFI and one finger in the Hot side of the GFI >>

would you get electriced ?? and why ??