Thread: Freezer is freezing up and fridge is warming up

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts

Default Freezer is freezing up and fridge is warming up

Freezer is slowly building frost over a month period and then the refrigerator starts to warm up. I have thawed it out three times and it works good for about three weeks. It is a kenmore and about 10 yrs old.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,831x in 6,153 Posts
    Items HookahA BeerFootballGolfACDCGuitar2street BikeCheckered Flag

There are 2 possibilities maybe more but most common would be a bad defrost coil. Usually the defrost timer will shut off the compressor and kick on the defrost coil untill the limit switch is satisfied shutting the coil off. Also check to see if the fan in the freezer is running, this is what transfers cold to the refrigerator section. The defrost timer can be checked with an ohm meter but remove a terminal from one end.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

By reading your problem I come to know that there are some problems in the compressor of your freezer due and in defrost coil too. The compressor provide gas which is necessary for cooling and this gas passed through the defrost coil and if these coil are closed or have some material in it due to which gas is stopped and as a result your fridge is getting warm. The recommendation is that you must repair it and clean these coils from the authentic refrigerator expert.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 3x in 2 Posts

I had the same problem a few years ago with an amana refrigerator the problem turned out to be a hidden door in bottom of the freezer that has a heating element that allows the transfer of cold air to the refrigerator area and when that did not open the freezer would just keep freezing continuously and not cool the refrigerator section. the heating coil was replaced and it is still working today. It was not the defrost coil.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff123456 View Post
    Freezer is slowly building frost over a month period and then the refrigerator starts to warm up. I have thawed it out three times and it works good for about three weeks. It is a kenmore and about 10 yrs old.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 23x in 9 Posts

yah, it's not going thru a defrost so the frost keeps building until the air flow gets choked-off to the point the fan isn't turning or the damper can't open to let the air into the fridge .....Kenmore just means you bought it at Sears....does the model # start with 970....968...596....something like that ...is it a top mount/bottom mount or side by side? most likely it is the defrost thermostat or DTS
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff123456 View Post

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 23x in 9 Posts

actually the heating "coil" or element would be the same thing as the defrost "coil"....all frost free fridges have to have a way to clear the evaporator of too much frost build-up....most domestic fridges use a heating element and a thermostat to keep the heater from melting the plastic liner.....if the thermostat or heater is open it never goes into a defrost

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 13x in 7 Posts

Have had same issue with Kenmore side by side during summer months before turning air on in house.One thing I try to remember to do is pull it out and blow all the dust/lint from the fins underneath was told by a Sears service tech they(Kenmore/Sears)tried to save space by putting them underneath and really think was or is a poor design.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 13x in 7 Posts

Now thinking about it on mine after opening fridge side door on top lip you should fine a spot that you can turn with a regular screwdriver(screw like thing is green on mine) that controls the heater/defrost cycle if you turn it slowly clockwise you should hear a click sooner or later and it is the heater to defrost everything.The service tech said it automatically comes on every 4 hours or so and during hot summer months it is not often enough so i kept turning the screw slowly(tech said if turn really forcefully can break it)to speed up the process till it defrosted and by then was running my window shakers and house was not so humid and it quit frosting up.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 779x in 342 Posts

Sounds like the defrost control is not going into defrost every 6 hrs for 20 minutes.You can check the thermostat by turning it up and see if the compressor shuts off,and possibly rotate the defrost control timer if it is a manual control to force a defrost.About 12yrs ago they went to a solid state defrost and control module which can get pricy(120.00 to 180.00)

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 27x in 10 Posts

I have a problem with warm fridge before, I change my thermostat & until now its working. But you have to check the old thermostat first

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 762x in 223 Posts
    Items Rep
Gift received at 01-05-2020, 02:59 AM from Bluegrass
Message: Just because....DeeTelescopeTVVintage carHookahCamaro

And for a Fridge that seems like it is stuck on Defrost - On the back of most fridges, there is a small diameter hole that a flat screw driver fits through (may be some insulation to move aside). In there is a plastic screw that rotaes 360. With a flat screw driver, you can turn the the defrost on/off (will hear an audible click). Sometimes it gets stuck so when you rotate the screw slowly so as not to break the plastic screw, the cycle will kick in.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 779x in 342 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teamwork000 View Post
    And for a Fridge that seems like it is stuck on Defrost - On the back of most fridges, there is a small diameter hole that a flat screw driver fits through (may be some insulation to move aside). In there is a plastic screw that rotaes 360. With a flat screw driver, you can turn the the defrost on/off (will hear an audible click). Sometimes it gets stuck so when you rotate the screw slowly so as not to break the plastic screw, the cycle will kick in.
    Their's only one thing wrong with that if it doesn't come out of defrost it melts you frigs plastic and some.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 102x in 57 Posts

first defrost fridge make sure freezer is full even if its just ice water. the fuller the better.

side by side work like an air-conditioner the freezer needs to be full for the fridge to be cool. same principal works for top and bottom units as well. cold air drops down hot air rises. every so many hrs the timer turns on the heater to melt any ice which is formed from the air in the unit. check the door seals as well make sure they are making good contact with the frame.

with that said here's your solution
    if its a side by side your fan is going out (its in the freezer) if its top and bottom ports between compartments are plugged. in any event you need to make sure that the grid (condenser) under the fridge is clean and that the fan is working properly. only other thing is as suggested above check the timer, it controls the heater for the defrost cycle. it moves very slowly use a marker then check about 2 hrs later to see if it is moving.
    Last edited by nunoit; 06-20-2013 at 06:24 PM.