Thread: kitchen aid not hot

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8x in 3 Posts

Default kitchen aid not hot

I have just purchaced a ykerc507hw4 kitchen aid stove and the oven took forever to heat up and when set at 500the max was 325 and i suspected the hidden bake element was not working so i checked and no continuity so when replacing the element the old one was in about 6 pieces. now it is about 75 degrees colder than set. my next thought is the temp sensor or lastly the temp probe. any suggestions how to diagnose. also i set the calibration to the max (+35) it seems ok on convect and broil seems ok. just issues with the bake.

thanks, steel
    Last edited by steel; 03-09-2013 at 03:36 AM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 3x in 3 Posts

Not sure how you are checking temps but you should let oven heat for about 20 minutes and use a digital meter with temp probe placed in center of oven. then check temps you want watch for the highest temps and the lowest temps. take 3 high and 3 low add them up divide by 6 get avg. temp. example oven set at 350. so you will get 325,375,325,375,325,375= 350avg. i have seen some new programing on new ranges that have a strange temp swing but it will still avg. out the same example: 300,350,325,375,350,400=350avg temp. why i don't know might be for browning etc. never check temps with anything other then digital meter. if temps within 40 deg +- then it is working OK old ranges were ok 75 deg +-

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie Ergen For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8x in 3 Posts

Default temp sensor specs

hi, everything i read is saying the sensor shoul read 1000 ty 1100 ohms at room temp mine reads 1120 at room temp and i thing that is part of my problem. any thoughts

thanks, steel

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 3x in 3 Posts

no i don't think so, that is a good reading. they are very sensitive you can hold them in your hand and watch the ohms change. approx 1000-1100 ohm resistance at room temperature ( 70 degrees F ) I change oven sensors about 2-3 times a year. how are you getting your temp readings you never said? I change more controls for bad relays then anything. i get people with the old coil type thermometers they used in there old range for 30 years they tell me it always showed the right temp in there old oven. now there new oven wont get hot enough or is to hot. then i show them with my fieldpiece meter how off there old range and thermometer is. make sure you have a good meter and let oven heat 25-30 minutes before checking temps. most of the time the customer is just used to old range. sometimes we have to send 2-3 techs to show and tell them same thing because they just wont believe it. one old school tech stops and gets cookies or biscuits and cooks them at customers house per directions to show it works. i have seen customers return 3 or 4 ranges to lowes & home depot because they are just used to old oven. you said it is better in convection. when in convection does your oven change temp automatically or do you have a convection convert option or some ranges just reduce temps 25 deg and still show 350 but is really 325? remember convection uses the fan to move air around cavity baking uses natural convection so were you check temps will be different when you move probe around. also hidden bake element ovens tend to take longer to preheat and if you want it to brown on bottom you should lower it one rack then normal.

Degrees F Resistance
    100 1143 ohms
    200 1350 ohms
    300 1553 ohms
    350 1654 ohms
    400 1753
    500 1949 ohms

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie Ergen For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8x in 3 Posts

i bought a cheap thermometer that either hangs or sits there and i am told they are fairly accurate. i just replaced the hidden bake element. the old element was in about 6 pieces so that was a no brainer but now you set at 425 and the inside temp was 325. too big a difference i think. i calibrated the oven to +35 and didn't help a lot. also you don't think the 1120 ohms at room temp is too high. i read shouldn't be higher than 1080 at that temp????? i think the closer to the 1000 ohm minimum would be ideal

thanks, steel

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 3x in 3 Posts

if it is a hanging dial type than that is your problem they are junk i have never seen one that reads even close to the right temp. go buy a $10 dollar dvom with a temp probe. heat oven 25-30 minutes with probe in center of oven watch temps on meter when you see temp go to the highest reading then start to fall wright down the highest temp do the same for the lowest temp on meter do that six time in a row then add all readings and divide by six you will have your average temperature. this might work for you it is worth a shot.

Pour a spoonful of sugar into an oven-safe glass bowl or onto some foil on a cookie sheet and place in your oven, set to 350°F / 177°C. Even after an hour, it should still be powdered. It might turn slightly brown due to decomposition, but it shouldn't melt. If it does, your oven is too hot. Next, turn your oven up to 375°F / 190°C. The sugar should completely melt within 15 minutes or so. If it doesn't, your oven is calibrated too cold. Check to see if your oven has either an adjustment knob or a calibration offset setting; otherwise, just keep in mind the offset when setting the temperature. Note that your oven will cycle a bit above and below the target temperature: the oven will overshoot its target temperature, then turn off, cool down, turn back on, etc. It's possible that your oven could be "correctly" calibrated but still melt the sugar when set to 350°F / 177°C due to this overshooting, but it would have to overshoot by about 15°F / 8°C.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie Ergen For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8x in 3 Posts

hi charlie, put in a new sensor and wow. i had the oven calibrated to +35 and now it was 25 degrees too hot so i re calibrated it to +10 and now it is within a degree or so. glad i took a chance. thanks for all the help

steel