Thread: Best Receiver for my needs?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 9x in 7 Posts

Default Best Receiver for my needs?

Looking for good advise. I would like to have an all in one quality receiver for he following:
    -Full HD support for Dish & Bev (don't watch in SD)
    -OTA support for locals HD channels
    -Movie (AVI, MP4) playing (like a media player) from my local network (computer or network HD)
    -WIFI not an issue as I can direct wire to my network
    -Good EPG support (a day at least)
    -Picture in picture would be nice as well
    -HDMI connection to TV
    -good forum/file support

Presently have some Limesat boxes (HD Air and Ultra) and a bunch of doorstops from the past (Captain, KBox, Fortec, etc....). I'm not an expert like many out there, just an avid TV viewer that's getting lost viewing all the receiver specifications.
    Thanks in advance.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts

ya its called a subscription

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,196x in 2,659 Posts
    Items Whiskey
Gift received at 12-12-2013, 01:32 AM from swanner
Cheers Mate...
swannerCrown Royal
Gift received at 06-27-2013, 10:55 PM from Anubis
Message: If you're having some ryes I figure I'd contribute.Trophy 3
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 12:02 PM from ICEMAN

I think italfrank pretty much nailed it. I really do not believe there is any FTA box that offers all that. Most have a combination of some of the things that you want but I have yet to hear of one other than a high end sub box that comes close to all of your requests

Spoon Feeders FEED Bottom Feeders

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 9x in 7 Posts

Thanks for the replies, but I think some have missed my request. Simply looking for solid recommendations on the best box out there that may suit most if not all my needs.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 23x in 16 Posts

I think The Noof is very correct with his words. Out of that list most FTA boxes wouldn't fulfill even half of those. But a provider VIP211/VIP622/VIP722 properly modded will do everything except media streaming from your list.

If you are looking into only a FTA box just specify that. Your closest bet would be a Jynxbox. Hands down best bet is a provider box mainly for EPG, HD channel quality, OTA support, and HDMI cable. Make the move out of FTA boxes you won't regret it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rev0 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 9x in 7 Posts

Thanks for the input. Still looking to keep up the FTA hobby. Hoping there was a better HD box out there with some of the extras - OTA support, PIP and media player like support. Can always dream for that perfect solution. I'll look into what Jynxbox has to offer and see if it has enough extras to make an upgrade worthwhile.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 157x in 85 Posts

I think your best bet would be Jynxbox. The only thing you would miss is pip.

Full HD support for Dish & Bev (don't watch in SD) (as long as you have a good p.s.)
    -OTA support for locals HD channels (yep)
    -Movie (AVI, MP4) playing (like a media player) from my local network (computer or network HD) (from what I hear yep)
    -WIFI not an issue as I can direct wire to my network (gives you wi fi option if you wanted)
    -Good EPG support (a day at least) (yep)
    -Picture in picture would be nice as well (I don't think it does that)
    -HDMI connection to TV (yep)
    -good forum/file support (yes/arguable)

211 would be great but it won't get you b3v
    Now if you got a Vip 211 and a Vip 622 and converted the 622 to a b3v receiver you would have everything you want. But that is pricey.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NoName For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 301x in 187 Posts
    Items TVthe travel gnomeDishCrown RoyalHockey

Quote Originally Posted by bluenose2 View Post
    Looking for good advise. I would like to have an all in one quality receiver for he following:
    -Full HD support for Dish & Bev (don't watch in SD)
    -OTA support for locals HD channels
    -Movie (AVI, MP4) playing (like a media player) from my local network (computer or network HD)
    -WIFI not an issue as I can direct wire to my network
    -Good EPG support (a day at least)
    -Picture in picture would be nice as well
    -HDMI connection to TV
    -good forum/file support

Presently have some Limesat boxes (HD Air and Ultra) and a bunch of doorstops from the past (Captain, KBox, Fortec, etc....). I'm not an expert like many out there, just an avid TV viewer that's getting lost viewing all the receiver specifications.
    Thanks in advance.
    most options you want can be found using the jynx HD with the exception of picture in picture and good file support, all other options you listed the jynx can handle, works great on north and south HD, has the option to add an ATSC tuner or dvb-s2 tuner or even a second jb200 for dual tuner support (record one channel and watch another), has a built in media player that supports almost all media file extensions, v3 jynx's have wifi included if not wifi can be added to either a v1 or v2, the epg is decent and you can acheive a 9 day epg if you use an external drive but find other areas slow down when using the extended 9 day epg like remote response, you can get at least 1 day epg without using an external drive, has an HDMI connection with many different video resolutions to choose from upto 1080p, the cost is very competitive as well when compared to other HD receivers
    Last edited by bobby; 06-20-2013 at 03:53 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bobby For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 9x in 7 Posts

Thanks for the great information on Jynxbox. Would the V1 or V2 meet these needs or should I be considering the V3. I'm assuming that I should get the ATSC tuner for OTA and the jb200 tuner for north and south HD -Correct? What is the dvd-s2 tuner for?
    If OTA is not worth the effort (only 2 or 3 locals here) what 2 tuners should I consider? Two jb200?
    One more question - I understand that the Jynxbox can play media from a USB drive, but does it have network support to play media from a network drive or network computer?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 62x in 49 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Noof View Post
    Modded VIP211 suits your purpose, and reasonably priced.Just need a puter or modded router to run the client software, an an avr to link the ird to the puter/router.By far the best way to watch.Make sure that the unit has hdcp/hdmi issue addressed,firmware locked, and pvr enabled.It was my fave by far.
    Would this work with NFPS or Rocket?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts

there are many servers that work with a vip ird. Now those servers I am not to sure. Iksdish is pretty solid server.
    Last edited by racinstyles; 12-12-2013 at 07:18 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 23x in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danny View Post
    Would this work with NFPS or Rocket?
    With a beautiful VIP ird I wouldn't want to touch those with a 10 foot pole. Some lower tier servers will work but put OEM CWs on a lower priority. As opposed to FTA CWs which would be higher priority of course. This will cause you lots of headache and odd freezing. With what you invest in a box you might as well get a quality server.