Thread: using a Linksys with dd-rt ( working!)

Bigpineguy Retired Guest

Default using a Linksys with dd-rt ( working!)

A big Thanks to Dish Doctor for the helpful post about step by step setting up a router to work as a repeater..

I have been having problems lately getting my AP to work properly, so, I got an old linksys router from a yard sale ($5.00) and did a lot of reading and it took a little bit of time to get all the commands working correctly, but I now have it working and as a promiscuous repeater, which means that it will pick up whatever source is stronger and connect to it by itself.....So, For now, I am back online using a different method....

BPG~

igoreshka Guest

oh yea, the hard work is always pays, dd-wrt is an ecxellent soft and works awesome, I am also using it for a while and happy with it........

Bigpineguy Retired Guest

I was also very pleased to see that the "odd" connector that I used for my AP ( TNC - Female ) was the same for the linksys, just had to unplug it from the AP and plug right in to the Linksys...

BPG~

igoreshka Guest

I set up mine as a client bridge though

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 92x in 22 Posts

Glad to see that the write-up worked for ya BPG!

Bigpineguy Retired Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dish Doctor View Post
    Glad to see that the write-up worked for ya BPG!
    Worked perfectly to this day...lol.....thanks for the info DD

BPG~

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 92x in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpineguy View Post
    Worked perfectly to this day...lol.....thanks for the info DD

BPG~
    If needed, and you have the option to change the antenna on the router, get an outdoor antenna with the shortest piece of coax you can to increase your range.

I found a descent deal on flea-bay that offered the router, coax and antenna in one package if I remember correctly.

Bigpineguy Retired Guest

I already have an outdoor attn. a 23 DBI grid using LMR-400 cable ( about 40 ft ) and working great, Thanks again Bro...

BPG~

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 92x in 22 Posts

I already have an outdoor attn. a 23 DBI grid using LMR-400 cable ( about 40 ft ) and working great, Thanks again Bro...

BPG~
    Got a pic of your antenna?

Bigpineguy Retired Guest

I can't pick up anything from my place , so I started with an Access Point with attn. , but had problems changing IP's on AP to get it to work , and your tutorial worked great with a router that I got from a yard sale, my first time using DD-WRT , and working great ., All thanks to your work, thanks again Bro...

BPG~

Bigpineguy Retired Guest

Got a pic of your antenna?
    http://www.satfix.net/showthread.php?t=15284

A whole thread on what was working for me

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 92x in 22 Posts

I can't pick up anything from my place , so I started with an Access Point with attn. , but had problems changing IP's on AP to get it to work , and your tutorial worked great with a router that I got from a yard sale, my first time using DD-WRT , and working great ., All thanks to your work, thanks again Bro...

BPG~
    So no pic?

Bigpineguy Retired Guest

So no pic?
    pics in that thread, if you would like more, I would be happy to take more..

BPG~

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 92x in 22 Posts

pics in that thread, if you would like more, I would be happy to take more..

BPG~
    lol....I posted that last post before I read your thread....Thanks for the info!

Narizon@61 Guest

Default i got free wifi for my cnx nano=thanks to all

first just have to say thanks to all the helpful ideas-now im getting wifi from a 24 hr burger joint the name is not important but what is- i bought a wifi-link antenna with a no loss cable 100ft and a rp sma female to rp tnc adaptor to router with that flashed with ddrt firmware and wham direct the antenna-you can find wifi all around im getting wifi about 3miles away..the best part it's free for my cnx.THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE KNOWLEDGE to do it..
    Attached Images Attached Images