Thread: Viewsat Platinum how to

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Default Viewsat Platinum how to

I have an old Viewsat Platinum with only an rs232 port which I would like to revive it with iks using a Linksys router and not x-fta dongle as I already have an nfusion running on it. The question is:
    1. Would an rs232 cable to rj45 cable connected between the router and the viewsat box work? (see picture)
    2. What changes to the Goo3 xx-client need to be made?
    thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 304x in 150 Posts

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 166x in 106 Posts
    Items HeadstonesTV

I started working on my Linksys router and a VS 9000. You need to install a ttl to serial board in the router. Also Goo3 is only for a Nfusion box. Goo2 doesn't enable the serial port. The only thing that you can install is openwrt firmware. Make sure your Linksys router can install openwrt. After that you need to install the newest xx-client-broadcom in the bin folder of the router. That's as far as I got. I need help after that. Need to make a startup config file. And the cable you posted is a console cable. Its of no use to you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dcapper For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

There is a write-up on how to install an rs232 port on a Linksys router, it looks like you need to know what you are doing though. I was hoping to take an easy way out with a cable. As far as xx-client here is a c/p from a thread replied by goofather:
    "Maybe with different file names you can run two instances of the xx-client, one via serial and another via ethernet.
    Just put them in different directories. One in xx-client_nf and another in xx-client_vs for example...."
    I think that he is the key to getting the software part figured out.
    cheers