Thread: Who Drummer Zak Starkey Holds Down Super Bowl Halftime

sleddy2008 Guest

Default Who Drummer Zak Starkey Holds Down Super Bowl Halftime

C/P from MTV.com
    The son of another famous drummer, Starkey has actually been working with the band since 1996.

By Gil Kaufman
    Every classic-rock fan knows the titanic twosome that fronts the Who: singer Roger Daltrey and windmilling guitarist Pete Townshend. But as the only two original members left of the iconic British rock band, the duo front a group of backup players who are decidedly more anonymous than late madman drummer Keith Moon and steady-on bassist John Entwistle, who died in 2002 on the eve of one of the band's seemingly endless final tours.

One of the sidemen that stood out for many football fans watching the Super Bowl halftime extravaganza on Sunday was splashy drummer Zak Starkey, who kept the beat on a medley of the band's most beloved hits: "Pinball Wizard," "Baba O'Riley," "Who Are You?," "See Me, Feel Me" and "Won't Get Fooled Again."

Though at 44 a relative youngster compared to Townshend (64) and Daltrey (65), Starkey is actually a nearly 15-year veteran of the touring version of the Who and a well-regarded rock sideman. He's played with Oasis, the Waterboys, the Icicle Works, Paul Weller and former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr. The son of Beatles drummer Ringo Starr and his first wife, Maureen Cox, Starkey has been a touring member of the Who since 1996.

The gig is a fitting one, considering that Moon was Starkey's godfather and one of dad Ringo's best pals before the Who drummer's death in 1978. In fact, Starkey received his first drum kit and lessons as a child from Moon, despite Ringo's desire that his son not follow in his rock-and-roll footsteps.

Starkey began performing professional gigs in British pubs at age 12 with his band the Next and hooked up in 1985 with the reunited Spencer Davis Group, lead by Steve Winwood, when he was still a teenager. In addition to touring with his dad's All Starr Band, Starkey performed with Daltrey in 1994 on the singer's Daltrey Sings Townshend tour, as well as performing on Entwistle's solo albums.

Starkey was formally asked to play with the Who in 1996, during the band's string of special dates performing their iconic album Quadrophenia. He has performed with the group ever since, alongside other longtime sidemen bassist Pino Palladino, rhythm guitarist Simon Townshend and keyboardist John "Rabbit" Bundrick.

steelpicker Guest

pretty coolstuff, i didn't know he played
    did you know that Charlie Daniels had a stroke in late January? fortunately, it was a mild one, and didn't really mess with his playing a whole lot (he's woking hard to get his chops back to as close to normal as possible) and he plans on keeping all of his upcoming gigs.

jtr Guest

thats a interesting read:
    i must admit that was 1 heck of a performance, if not the best ever, we will never see a show like that again, because it cant be beat,
    except 4 rodger not swinging the mic , but hey W H O want 2 be clunk in the head at that age,lol.

peanut66 Guest

i watched superbowl at a friends house which our teenage sons play football together,,, during the who's halftime shows some of the kids were cracking jokes and calling them old men and stuff , i thought it was a good performance ,,, anyway i replied to them " id like you guys to name one of the bands you listen to today,and ill bet they wont be playing superbowl 40 years from now , heck they will be all washed up in 5 years ,max ",,,,,,,,

steelpicker Guest

you sure got that right