Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: motor setup

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 32 Posts

Default motor setup

i am setting up a motor, but very awkward setup. i have 18" dish on "j" pole extension with a motor (hh90), pole goes around eaves of the house and up over above roof. I really don't have access to move dish. lol. so any adjustments i must untighten bolts on pole and lower unit. confusing but my question is i am aiming for 82w and hitting it plus hitting 91. signal is not bad but needs to be tweaked. problem is... i am missing 110 and 119. so do you think the dish is pointing to high or to low. i need some idea as setup is a very big pain making adjustments. i have a feeling i am a aiming a bit high?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Well it's very tough to setup a motor to just get the 4 providers satellites.

Most of the time you set it up to follow the Clark belt, this is done by first setting it to zero facing DUE South, then finding the closest satellite to due South from your location. (mine just happens to be 121W as my Longitude is 121)

If the motor is not following the true arc of the belt then you can be too high or too low when you pan East or West.

You might have to first find you Longitude then look on lyngsat and find the satellite closest to due South from your location, this maybe a linear satellite so you may need to change the LNB, I used a Invacom LNB to setup my motor, this type will pick up the circular birds (Dish and BEV) and the linear birds.
    ♫♫♫ I知 a lumberjack and I知 OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,260x in 7,930 Posts
    Items GreeceCanada

Providers sats are always powerful and come in strong so you shouldn't have too many issues finding them, you'll probably have to make a few adjustments to maximise signal quality as they will break up during bad weather if the dish isn't aligned properly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Costactc For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

You also must remeber that the motor does all the skewing for the dish and attached LNB, so the dish it's self must not be skewd, it all should be set to "0" or "90" degrees for the skew, if the 18" dish is a D500 pan you must check to see that it's at zero skew.

You also should be using a single LNB, if you still have the "Y" yoke on it for 2 LNB's it can throw your settings off, the LNB should be dead center of the dish.

It has been done with the DP twin or two DP singles, but the aiming is quite a bit different, you can't use USALS to find the birds as that is for a single LNB, the twin mount has the LNB's 4.5 degrees off center, so if you use USALS you can miss the birds by that much.

But the critical things are to be sure the dish and motor are zeroed at DUE South first, and the correct Azimuth (direction) and Elevation settings* for your DUE South satellite are correct.

*Elevation settings for some motors are 1/2 set with the motor, 1/2 set with the dish, check your mounting instructions for the motor.

"If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 32 Posts

i am using a 18" dish single lnb. i had this setup at home and worked well. i picked up 129, 110, 119, 82 and 91. right now i am having issues with the dish pole and the depth of the eaves. the pole is not a 100 percent plump because the eave comes out far. i am picking up 91 and 82 and making 82 my due south dish, always did it this way with success. but i am missing 110 and 119. I think my issue is the elevation. I just remembered i can adjust the elevation on the dish. i have been messing with the motor long. and lat. but nothing. this is a new location from were my old set up was, about half hour drive difference. i will try changing dish elevation and hopefully the pole will not be a problem.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Well the pole being out of plumb may very well be the problem, if it's out of alignment front to back, left to right or diagonally, it will throw your tracking of the Clark belt off by how far it's out of plumb, if it's leanig forward and you can't adjust the mast, then you could try spacer's under the bottom of the motor mount, you would have to remove the motor from it's mount and adjust it using a level (or the plumb bob), adding spacers (don't use wood) to get it plumb.

The old way (and the best way) is to use a plumb bob, attach it to the top of the mast and let it hang down, adjust the mount to align it with the string, this gets the mount as level as you can.

Also be sure the mast is not kicked out of alignment by the attachment point at the eave.

"Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

If looking at it from the front and it's off left or right you can use stays to pull it to the left or right, these are pieces of threaded rod and a long turn turn buckle, attached with a 1 1/2" conduit hanger.

Or look for an old WildBlue/Hugesnet or Starband internet dish and take the braces off it.

You can use some of these.
    Code:
    http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=es148546&d=wildblue-adjustable-tri-mast-stay-%28es148546%29
    Last edited by Terryl; 11-24-2013 at 09:51 PM.

"Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 32 Posts

facing dish from the back, and the back of the pole. the pole is level (left/right) basically i have to move the pole out and forward to get plump that way. perhaps I can adjust elevation on dish to make this up?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

No....The mast has to be level or the motors mount has to be level or it will be off.

The motor and dish must face due south, the dish elevation adjustment may not correct for a mast that is not plumb by leaning back against the house, not unless the house is facing due south and that front to back adjustment is correcting the due South adjustment.

If the mast is absolutely level then the motor will not have any problems following the arc of the Clark belt, remember your trying to hit something the size of an SUV at 22,500 miles away, if your off by more then 1.5 degrees of arc you will miss the satellite.

You said you moved, and are still using 82W as your due south bird, this may have changed, take a look on Google Earth and see what Longitude you at now, then look at Lyngsat.com and see if your still able to use 82W.

"Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 32 Posts

i will post a pic in the morning so you can see what i have done.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to keegster17 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 32 Posts

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 32 Posts

i actually climb out a bedroom window and stand on garage roof to set this thing up. lol. I may build a bracket to build the dish away from the house wall and eaves so the pole can go straight up and not on a angle.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 236x in 182 Posts

Terryl is right in perfect alignment! Just use a longer extension to clear your eaves!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Glatt For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 32 Posts

it's going to be one heck of a hardware setup. lol. already have a 39" pole with a additional piece of piping about 2 feet. thanks guys.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

WOW!! Looking at that, it's going to be tough to get it straight.

You may need to drop it down a bit on the wall and then go a bit longer on the "J" pole, this to get the bend to clear the eave, also is the dish pointing back onto the roof? Or is it clearing as it pans left to right?

"Can you HIDE it"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast