Thread: Roper Electric Dryer no heat

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 17 Posts

Question Roper Electric Dryer no heat

Hi I have a Roper dryer model RED4400VQ1 type DWJR-ELE-2406026-FM54 after doing a few loads I noticed it was not heating up anymore, if the thermal fuse is bad will it still turn on but no heat and if so can I tape it together to test if it's the fuse. I appreciate all the help on here, I always get good answers to my issues. Oh yeah if it is the fuse where can I buy one.

Thanks

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,785x in 6,144 Posts
    Items HookahA BeerFootballGolfACDCGuitar2street BikeCheckered Flag

Yes the motor will run independently of the heat and is actually a 120vac motor. Usually there are two devices on the heater element box, a thermostat (klixon disc) near the bottom of the box and usually a fusible link a little further up the box. Yes you can tape the wires together temporarily to test. Do 1 device at a time. There are many online appliance parts places. You need model and ser.#. After repairing make sure your venting is unobstructed and good airflow.
    Last edited by steveOtoo; 01-13-2014 at 07:54 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steveOtoo For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,391x in 494 Posts

Did u check the main breakers in the panel and anywhere in between to see if 220/240 is being supplied to the dryer?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to anyonomus For This Useful Post:

Condor is offline Jr Admin/Satfix 2016 Football Pool - Week 10 & Week 15 Champ
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,837x in 5,629 Posts
    Items Mexico
Gift received at 04-01-2014, 11:29 PM from hedley
Gift received at 06-11-2013, 04:36 PM from darlinkat
HugsUSA
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 03:37 PM from ICEMAN
Gift received at 10-02-2012, 02:00 PM from ICEMAN
Gift received at 09-29-2012, 11:31 PM from clarkBENT

I have always done my own repairs on my appliances.. With online help.. I belong to a few Appliance forums. Once you figure it out, if u get model # of your dryer and go online it should take you to parts vendors along with part breakdowns.. ... usually Sears carries parts but they are very expensive...But if ur desperate then go to Sears.. Good luck...

The only thing I am afraid of is what I am capable of

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 21 Posts

Yes as a test u can jump the 2 wires that go to the fuse. If you get heat with it jumped then I would check the duct leaving the dryer and also the vent to the outside for any blockage. If you have fuses in your house check if one is open . if so you will likely need to replace the fuse holder or if in a separate box /switch then it needs replacing..

Quote Originally Posted by jriver309 View Post
    Hi I have a Roper dryer model RED4400VQ1 type DWJR-ELE-2406026-FM54 after doing a few loads I noticed it was not heating up anymore, if the thermal fuse is bad will it still turn on but no heat and if so can I tape it together to test if it's the fuse. I appreciate all the help on here, I always get good answers to my issues. Oh yeah if it is the fuse where can I buy one.

Thanks

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 17 Posts

Yes I checked the main panel fuse, I also jumped the fuse. As a test I noticed if I unplugged the fuse there is no power to the dryer, with the jumper in place still no heat

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    Yes as a test u can jump the 2 wires that go to the fuse. If you get heat with it jumped then I would check the duct leaving the dryer and also the vent to the outside for any blockage. If you have fuses in your house check if one is open . if so you will likely need to replace the fuse holder or if in a separate box /switch then it needs replacing..

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,339x in 1,444 Posts
    Items Trophy 2
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 03:10 PM from ICEMAN

might be the hi/lo cut off switch on the heating element

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,360x in 850 Posts

or maybe the heat element needs replacing (common fix)...if it is electric.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 17 Posts

Well interesting change I noticed, the heat now comes on but for less than ten minutes. After that the dryer continues just blowing normal air. I swear my stuff is always Murphys law kinda things.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 21 Posts

You have heat intermittently then a poor connection, cycling thermostat,safety thermostat, or bad timer control.
    Quote Originally Posted by jriver309 View Post
    Yes I checked the main panel fuse, I also jumped the fuse. As a test I noticed if I unplugged the fuse there is no power to the dryer, with the jumper in place still no heat
    Last edited by pax; 01-16-2014 at 11:08 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pax For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Some dryers have a high temp cutout, along with the regular thermostat, and the thermal fuse, IT will cycle BEFORE the thermal fuse blows. Check your schematic, you can go to you tube, and find a lot of DIY for fixing dryers too.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 21x in 10 Posts

check that the vent is clear and that air comes out of exhaust at back

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 17 Posts

Sorry I have meant to do an update on my issues and also thank everyone for their help. This site has many positives and things like this are one of them. Anyway back to the drier, I took it apart cleaned every speck of lint because that has been issues with other driers in my past. Still will only do heat for about ten minutes but the drier will still run, example I set for ten minutes it will stay running till I open the door and it will not be blowing heat. another thing it wont turn on unless I rotate the timer knob 360 a few times and then hold the start button. Any help or ideas appreciated.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    You have heat intermittently then a poor connection, cycling thermostat,safety thermostat, or bad timer control.