Thread: Whirlpool range not working properly

Tombear Guest

Unhappy Whirlpool range not working properly

I have the same stove, mine works the same way, it takes about 20 minutes for the oven to pre-heat. About 6 or 7 minutes to heat a pan on the stovetop just to melt butter, not even mentioning boiling water! If I had the $$ I'd chuck the freekin thing out and switch to gas.!!

LoginFreak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tombear View Post
    I have the same stove, mine works the same way, it takes about 20 minutes for the oven to pre-heat. About 6 or 7 minutes to heat a pan on the stovetop just to melt butter, not even mentioning boiling water! If I had the $$ I'd chuck the freekin thing out and switch to gas.!!
    It's hard to imagine the same model causing the same problem unless it's a manufacture defect which I haven't heard of any..
    And since there is no model number posted it's hard to know if it's even the same stove..

If you would like to start a new thread with the model number there might be something that can be done..

One quick question is do you use the stove top elements on low when trying to melt the butter? And are you sure it takes that long or does it seem to take that long? I've noticed some customers sit there and watch and think it takes longer then it actually does..
    Just wondering is all.

And for the oven.. When you turn the oven on.. Does your stove have the bottom element showing in the oven? or is it hidden?

Has this problem been there since day one or just started?

Tombear Guest

Every glass top GE/Whirlpool stove/oven I've seen or used all work the same way. The top elements turn off and on, that is, get red, and then cools, the higher you have the temp. set, the longer it stays red, and then cools, I guess that's how it controls the temp. The biggest problem I noticed is that metal pans buckle when heated, and then there is only a small spot on the pan that is actually touching the burner. It was recomended to get glass cookware to prevent this. I ain't going out and buying all glass pots and pans!
    The oven works fine after it is pre-heated, however, only the bottom element heats for pre-heating.Saving energy?

Drdiode Guest

Default Power

Check to make sure you have both legs of power check fuses in crkt breaker box and or reset breaker try that, Make sure your power is ok

knob Guest

If your surface burners get red hot your power is over 200v---breakers are ok but I've seen in some apartments where the power is only 208v which causes a longer preheat time....if that's the case the range is working properly