Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: JB200 repairs?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 275x in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Willucome2014 View Post
    Old thread I know , but mine just went out today, (end of may 2019) here's some pointers .

This is common in FTA box tuners and modules with broadcom 8psk turbo chip, oddly it only happens on fta units orig and clone.

When you get the qpsk (sd) channels with good signal, but a low 20-40 signal on 8psk, only the 8psk part is dead, usually from overheating. I've had it happen a few times on ilink, and jynxbox.

Occasionally or if you catch it in time, ie seeing weird issues like sudden signal drop or picture issues , turn box off measure with a laser heat sensor , you will find it's way too hot ( broadcom chip ) .

I put a PC case fan blowing air onto my tuner dropped the heat from 120 C to 30 C (yes there is the silver heatsink) in 2013.

The smaller clones have a tiny 386 cpu fan preinstalled v22-v30 facing the tuner, which seems to work too and fits easily inside the case .

I prefer v1-v3 jynx as they have all the orig i/o features, IR extender, too!

So How did mine blow today? Well my v3 bootlooped a year ago, from trying to load a factory channel list. (Current 2014 list is inaccurate lol)

I found a V2 orig on CL bought that, put V3 in closet, the V2 seemed to work so well, that I never bothered taking the lid off. Software was already on there V1.239.

Didn't bother putting in a fan or anything.

Today Worked for a few minutes, crapped out I went to non 8psk still working, then back to 8psk signal was 40 and only qpsk worked at 85% signal,

Using another receiver , confirmed signal wireing etc working , then I opened the v2 it was pristine, my old v3 tuner was filthy (see pix, its now in clean machine )as I had fan blowing air on it.

That got me back up, but now I still have a "crippled" jb200

I used a multimeter as suggested here to test the caps and the diodes that are beside them. Caps had voltage and did not have continuity, (no beep)

Depending on which meter some showed caps at 22 or 23 the other meter showed 11

My next step is to check the esr of the caps.

I'm not sure why the different results (different digital auto ranging boot meters)

As to the diodes one in the middle of the 3 is covering it's pad towards the rear of card .

These are very poorly made.

I've had original ird with same broadcom chip no issues, I've had genpix with same chip no issues , no fan needed in both cases .

My friend has also had 3 jb200 go and a ilink go.

I'll try esr meter when I find it. Maybe the heat caused a drop the electrolytic medium? But as I did one is 23uf.

If your here it's too late , but don't use your fixed one without a fan, my v3 was a clone , I felt that the v2 with orig tuner would be better, it was , but failed a year later .

Ps: while both tuners look the same with slight differences they both say v2. You can see the one with writhing above the tuner can, the other one that says 2012 near the caps also say a qpsk v2 above the tuner can it a hard to see.

Could anyone tell me what thier caps said when in circuit or if they show a short?
    You should be able to cool the unit down even more by flipping the fan over sucking the hot air out of the box instead of blowing cool air into it.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 3x in 3 Posts

That's what I did this time, have it sucking air out, my cutting of the top20190524_220747.jpg7 of lid was not precise though , as I used garden primers, can't find the right stuff when I need it lol. powered the fan with the 12V and gnd off the second tuner slot, multimeter temp probe says its 21C inside , (slip the probe from gap left in crappy cutting job) but now it's slow and flaky making it's "ip" connection I know its not service supplier because a second jynxbox v30 works flawlessly.

Sucking not blowing, Don't want to sandblast with micro dust since these are $40 US plus shipping now.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 3x in 3 Posts

I noticed new ones for sale have a blue PCB and a silkscreened date of 2017 , does anyone believe they're any better than these 2012 ones ?

Everything seems in the same location.

I did notice on a Latin tech guy's fb page he repaires these and installs fan, internaly underside of lid,

His green pcb jb200 had a wire running from satellite input area on back of tuner, between 2 tiny pcb which were populated with the 3 legged power things and some capacitors.

Anyone heard of this repair? Is he just beefing up what the China factory skimped on?12439533_672248502877467_7470974298608597641_n (1).jpg13724836_749615011807482_3265310365207262471_o.jpg31235077_1245472642221714_2215050029096239104_o (2).jpg

There has to obviously be a reason for this
    Last edited by Willucome2014; 05-26-2019 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Attach pics

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 3x in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Willucome2014 View Post
    That's what I did this time, have it sucking air out, my cutting of the top20190524_220747.jpg7 of lid was not precise though , as I used garden primers, can't find the right stuff when I need it lol. powered the fan with the 12V and gnd off the second tuner slot, multimeter temp probe says its 21C inside , (slip the probe from gap left in crappy cutting job) but now it's slow and flaky making it's "ip" connection I know its not service supplier because a second jynxbox v30 works flawlessly.

Sucking not blowing, Don't want to sandblast with micro dust since these are $40 US plus shipping now.
    Quick update, Replacement Tuner issue resolved by pics , with fan, it's about a 3.5 inch fan , anyone else using the 2nd tuner slot, word of caution get a multimeter and check all inputs, some measures over 100V, the obk8be pics mention the 5v slot, but my fans are larger and 12V, there are both voltages and others there, be careful, pic the right ones.

The other issue was entirely a "connectivity" issue lol

All that said my original jb200 is sitting on a shelf it still has the gets qpsk modulation at 85% signal but 8psk at 39% for jb200 the dropout threshold at 62% fyi . I tested the caps and diodes mentioned here all are ok,

Any ideas?

What's the Latin guy in the pics doing? Adding more power to voltage output?

This has to be a fixable issue.

I very much doubt the broadcom dies of heat. It's same chip in provider boxes, since the 1st HD one.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 51x in 33 Posts

When tested with the ESR meter what reading did you get? I am getting a reading of 19uF is this good or bad. My box is rebooting after working for a few minutes. I have dis-connect my sats from the box and it is still happening so the problem is not switch or cable. When I take the tuner out the box stops re-booting so it must be the tuner. I have tried the tuner in both slots with the same problem. I was always running with a fun and therefore no heat issues. I am willing to try anything to solve this problem.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 51x in 33 Posts

OK guys up and running again, changed out the two caps and used the 22uf 25volts electrolytic caps to replace them and my box is up and running without any issue. Never read any where that this could be done using the electrolytic capacitors instead of the ceramic surface mount ones so I want to let everyone know that this can be done. When I take out the caps they were reading 11uf so I knew right away they were the problem.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jdread For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Fsdafsdafasd
    Last edited by freeloader247; 03-03-2024 at 11:38 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Fsadfasdfsd
    Last edited by freeloader247; 03-03-2024 at 11:38 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Well here is one, but it would take a major circuit re-design....

Code:
    http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps65233.pdf
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Gdsgsdfgsdfg
    Last edited by freeloader247; 03-03-2024 at 11:37 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

The pinouts between the two chips are different, lots of cut and jump.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Fsdfsdfsdfsd
    Last edited by freeloader247; 03-03-2024 at 11:36 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234