Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OTA Antenna

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 32 Posts

Default OTA Antenna

guys I have a 15 year old OTA antenna on a motor, I don't like the cable on it, almost looks like rg59, I have four tv's in the house. my cable run would run down the OTA antenna pole, i would then need a 2way splitter, having one run go completely different direction to bedroom via outside and thru window. the second run goes opposite way, were it will feed three tv's. so once the run reaches the basement I will use a 3way splitter to feed the other tv's. would I need any sort of amplifier for such long runs and all the splitters? the one run might be 60ft, the second close to 100ft. I am making these changes because I find I don't get all the channels all the time. for example city tv not always, channel 2, 4, and 7 in out. I am wondering if this is weather of power issue? funny enough one tv seems to pick up channels better than others, you can be in one room it has channel 49, and the other room the different make in tv doesn't pick up the channel, even thought there all off the same antenna. The antenna is in great shape, it sits about 30 to 40 feet high, I am between Toronto and mississauga by the lake, so I feel I should get most channels quit easily.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 126x in 59 Posts

Different tv's have different tuners. That would explain why one works better than another. With long runs you may try getting a signal booster to see if that helps.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 258x in 142 Posts

uhf booster now that the signals are all uhf

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Quote Originally Posted by keegster17 View Post
    guys I have a 15 year old OTA antenna on a motor, I don't like the cable on it, almost looks like rg59, I have four tv's in the house. my cable run would run down the OTA antenna pole, i would then need a 2way splitter, having one run go completely different direction to bedroom via outside and thru window. the second run goes opposite way, were it will feed three tv's. so once the run reaches the basement I will use a 3way splitter to feed the other tv's. would I need any sort of amplifier for such long runs and all the splitters? the one run might be 60ft, the second close to 100ft. I am making these changes because I find I don't get all the channels all the time. for example city tv not always, channel 2, 4, and 7 in out. I am wondering if this is weather of power issue? funny enough one tv seems to pick up channels better than others, you can be in one room it has channel 49, and the other room the different make in tv doesn't pick up the channel, even thought there all off the same antenna. The antenna is in great shape, it sits about 30 to 40 feet high, I am between Toronto and mississauga by the lake, so I feel I should get most channels quit easily.

Coax will age over time, especially the stuff used years ago, replacing it and the 300 ohm to 75 ohm transformer at the antenna will work wonders.

Also look at the antenna, is there a small box up there?

If so then you may also have a pre-amp of some sort, this would also have a DC power supply inside the house somewhere, this pre-amp may also need to be replaced.

If the antenna is in good shape with none of the radials missing or bent then it does not need to be replaced only the coax.(and maybe the pre-amp)

Here is a site to go to, it will tell you what OTA stations are available at your location and what type of antenna (your may be fine) to use.
    Code:
    www.tvfool.com
    It will give you a link that can be posted back here (it wont give away your exact location)(and you know how not to post a live link) this way I can look it over and give you a better idea on what to do.

Now for the splitter, some are balanced this means that the signals are the same level at all ports, but they are dropped by 3 to 6 dB, this is 1/2 to 1/4 of your RF input voltage. (not that bad)

Explanation: If the RF voltage was at 1 volt RMS, then the output voltage on a two way splitter at both outputs would be 1/2 a volt RMS, add the loss for the coax and you could have signal problems on the long run.

You can get an amplified splitter (4 way) if you don't have the pre-amp at the antenna, this will compensate for the coax loss and splitter loss.

Do the TVfool report, lets see whats going on.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Terryl For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    uhf booster now that the signals are all uhf
    Not all the TV signals are in the UHF band, there are still some in the VHF high band, the TVfool report will tell all.

"If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

bkr™ is offline Moderator/Satfix 2014 Super Bowl pool Champion
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952x in 711 Posts

It is possible w/your antenna being 15 years old is not a true uhf/vhf antenna, or the ballum is weak.
    really hate windoz 8

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I would suspect the 75/300 ohm bauln coil and/or coax first, I have 40 year old antennas at many a customers houses, they work fine after replacing ether the pre-amps, baulin coils or coax.

If the antenna was designed as a VHF/UHF yagi (or omni) it will still work fine for all the HDTV channels now out there.

"Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 32 Posts

how or where do I get this link Terryl? there is a box by antenna, it is high up so I will have to take a look to see what is up there. should I take a pic of antenna and cable, plus box? i will try to get all info. the cable is a rg6 like cable, very hard, not as thick as typical rg6 cable. I mentioned a little bit in another post, but wanted to start over and get this system going correct. the Antenna has no rust and looks good. We had a old one but was replaced about 10 plus years ago by insurance due to a tree storm, so I think it should be good, I think it was quit expensive back then. what cable should I purchase? brand name?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 32 Posts

Code:
    http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b94401f718a01
    not sure if this is a live link? sorry.
    Last edited by Anubis; 04-01-2014 at 08:12 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 32 Posts

where is this baulin transformer located?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

where is this baulin transformer located?

It would be located all the way up by the antenna.

The normal TV antenna is a balanced 300 ohm system, when you use 75 coax you have to change it from a 300 ohm balanced to a 75 ohm un-balanced system,as one side of the coax is grounded.

So to do this you use a 300 ohm balanced to 75 ohm un-balanced transformer, or in short a Balun coil.

"Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Code:
    http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b94401f718a01
    not sure if this is a live link? sorry.

Nope not now.

OK it looks like you in an area with some good stations all around you, and a few are in the VHF high band, so that rotor is going to come in handy.

The ones in green can be received with an indoor antenna, the ones in yellow would need an outdoor antenna, and the ones in pink would need a massive antenna on a taller mast or tower to get.

If you click on the call letters (like WBBZ-TV) for the stations in the pink zone you will see what is in the way.(according to the plot, it's the Earth that's in the way)(I don't care what they say the Earth is not flat)

The box up by the antenna is a pre-amp, you may have the power supply by one of the TV sets inside, without the power supply you wont get that many stations, the pre-amp is compensating for the long runs of coax and the splitter.

For OTA TV signals you can go to radio shack for the coax.

Can you post a photo of the antenna you have now?
    Last edited by Terryl; 04-01-2014 at 09:48 PM.

"Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 32 Posts

20140401_164320.jpg
    ok here are my pics. I was looking at the cable, it must be hard to change out, as it is connected right at the top of the antenna, little scary being 40 feet.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 32 Posts

20140401_164658.jpg
    the first pic is channel master box for the motor.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,523x in 764 Posts

Well, that is a nice antenna. Both uhf and vhf, but all I see is the rotor, no pre-amp. You might not have to go all the way to the top of antenna to amplify for the rest of the cable run and splitters--just try to put in amp close to the antenna as you can.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast