Thread: point 2 point wifi internet connection (HELP)

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts

Question point 2 point wifi internet connection (HELP)

Hello

need your help please

1- first question :

Is there any way to transfer internet connection from point to 3 points (non LOS line of sight )
    .. first point 1.5 km ... second point 2 km .... third point 3.5 km

i know that 2.4 GHz connections are limited to LOS ... is there any other option to transfer internet wireless (there is no local authorities to worry about )

if i had to use LOS gadget which product would you recommend (ubnt.com ??)

2- second question :

how can i distribute that connection to my neighborhood (Circle diameter of 500 meters)
    my idea is to use Parabolic dish antenna to distribute the connection but can i receive connection indoor with normal USB wifi card ?

if not ... which outdoor tool should i use to receive it (yagi antenna , normal access point , cantenna or another dish antenna)

can i use this ?
    http://www.satfix.net/showthread.php...d-dish-antenna

i need to make it as cheep as i can ... may use DIY gadgets

thanks in advance

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,706x in 3,254 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

OK, first off normal WIFI devices to not have the RF power to transmit the distance's you need to go, even with the biggest antenna you could put on the device.

Most are limited to 200 mW, that is very low power, at best you could cover several acres at best a 1/4 mile on open terrain.

You may get the main signal down to where you want it but remember that this is a two way street, you haft to get the return signal back to your WIFI modem or router.

So what can be done?

Go to a company called "Amped Wireless" they sell devices that go up to 2 watts of RF power, and have the option of removing the standard antenna and replacing it with a high gain antenna, they also make WIFI repeaters.

As to the distribution in a 500 meter circle, a Parabolic will not receive or transmit in a circular pattern, only an omnidirectional antenna will do that.

Look at some of the products at this site,
    Code:
    http://www.ampedwireless.com/products/a8ex.html
    Now for your biggest problem, on the 3 hop path, you don't have LOS, that is a big problem at 2.5 GHz, take a look here
    Code:
    http://hawkingtech.com/products/view/1/403.html
    for some WIFI repeaters, this would be the only way to go the distances you need, and the amount of hops.

My question is what is in the way??? Houses? Large buildings? Trees? Hills? What?

And there is no way to do this cheap, you can try DYI stuff but in my experience it will fail over time.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,706x in 3,254 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

One other thing that I forgot is the coax used, the longer the coax to the antenna from the router or other WIFI device, the less RF power you will have to work with.

Most of the high gain stuff uses RG-213 or RG-214 coax with "N" connectors on it, most consumer WIFI stuff with removable antennas use a reverse SMA connector, the two will not connect, so you need an adapter, this adds to the signal loss.

What I have done is use one of the USB 600 mW amped wireless UA600 devices, and some CAT5 to USB adapters, you mount all this in a water tight box right up at the antenna, then you can use some very short coax jumpers to do the connection, you can also mount everything on a mast to get it up in the air for better coverage.

I have this type of setup running a signal about 1.2 miles, using some yagi antennas, and the setup at both ends.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?