Thread: Very basic help

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 9x in 2 Posts

Default Very basic help

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to this trend of technology, less than 24 hours, i received a dms500 box from a friend, i installed correctly, is running OpenPLI and is working pretty well, but I see some channels and other shows a black screen . So far i haven't found a pattern or a config setting in common that marks this.

I can see channels like HBO Comedy and PlayBoy, but no Discovery or NatGeo despite i read what is being played on? What is the setting that control this.

One sidenote, i don't have access to the root user of the box, i have thought of doing a flash of some other firmware but as i don't know what settings he has in /var/etc/ i don't wanna take the chance.

I understand this is a very vague question, so if there was a noobie thread or doc that explained all in detail i would gladly read it.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,243x in 3,573 Posts
    Items beer
Gift received at 10-10-2012, 05:14 PM from JCO

Good start hiko2... as it happens i have had some experience w/the dm500s... There are clones out there so be wary of upgrades as they may contain a clone killer... This STB is not supported now so there are no new files. Unfortunately this is a back up box for me so i will let someone with more experience help you but since you are getting some coming in I would check your PS to verify those you are missing are not down... if you aren't scanning in the channels check your TP list as it is possible that you need to manually delete & rescan a TP or 2 with different settings as they change from time to time... or you might have an equipment malfunction like a bad LNB, connector or RG59 cable...
    Last edited by hutch; 07-22-2014 at 03:05 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hutch For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 9x in 2 Posts

Thanks a lot for your input hutch, really appreciate it. Last night while i was surfing the net and checking settings in the box, a little light bulb turned; to what extent my internet connection affects the signal i am receiving? Let's say in a scale from 1 to 10.

The thing is i have a really ****ty internet connection, not even 1mb, and could that may be the cause i am not receiving a feed?

Could you help me with the terminology a bit? I tried looking in
    Code:
    http://www.ftalist.com/glossary.php
    but i couldn't find these terms...

STB:
    PS: (Is this provider service?)
    TP:

I was thinking of depending on how well i understand the setup, maybe buying a box myself, maybe one with HDMI included. DMS800 is a good choice?
    Last edited by Anubis; 07-23-2014 at 07:54 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,243x in 3,573 Posts
    Items beer
Gift received at 10-10-2012, 05:14 PM from JCO

yes you need a decent internet connection although i've heard dialup can work... STB = Set Top Box... lol... no its not a service... there are lots of good STB's out there... any HD receiver should have an HDMI port, Dreamboxs are good but outdated. the Dreamlink T5 seems to be the main HD choice these days. Try reading some reviews in the receiver discussion threads under these receiver sections & also under other receiver discussions... post any relative questions there...

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 9x in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hutch View Post
    Good start hiko2... as it happens i have had some experience w/the dm500s... There are clones out there so be wary of upgrades as they may contain a clone killer... This STB is not supported now so there are no new files. Unfortunately this is a back up box for me so i will let someone with more experience help you but since you are getting some coming in I would check your PS to verify those you are missing are not down... if you aren't scanning in the channels check your TP list as it is possible that you need to manually delete & rescan a TP or 2 with different settings as they change from time to time... or you might have an equipment malfunction like a bad LNB, connector or RG59 cable...
    Thanks for your input, i actually responded this the same day, but for some reason it hasn't come up yet.

I have a general question regarding receivers... brand agnostic i would say... How much does it affect internet speed to the correct functioning to the receiver? Let's say signal quality, or signal existance to say the most. If i am watching a black screen, that could be that my internet connection is too slow? Or the connection is just used to download files and plugins from the internet and has no implication in using the device?

Also, this modified Linux that the box has, i think is
    Code:
    http://openpli.org/
    i am guessing is not the default OS that comes with the receiver, correct? Is better, worse, etc? There is a section of the forum dedicated to it?
    Last edited by Anubis; 07-23-2014 at 07:31 PM. Reason: no live links please

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 9x in 2 Posts

Uhm, maybe as a moderator you could check onto this, i have replied your post twice and both times says waiting for moderator input, but so far nothing, and i can't find any list of posts pending authorization.

Third time is the charm, no?

Anyway, i asked in those previous replies, how mucho does my internet connection affects the receivers and in what? Does it affect signal, number of providers, or (stupid question, i know) satellites. Is it just for downloading plugins, etc?

Also, i noticed the box comes with a openpli Os installed, i figure that is not the default one, right? Is it better or worse?

Do you guy have a sticky thread with the meaning of all acronyms, i am quite lost with all those STP, TP, PS, etc. It would be very helpful, i found a page that explained a few but any of those are in.

Thanks for your help, i am planning to spend a lot of time roaming around the forum learning what i can, in the stickies are some really begginers guides?

Edit:
    I could post this reply without moderator validation but no a reply to your post, quoted or not. Maybe is a bug in the forum or a wrong setting somewhere, dunno. Just trying to help.
    Last edited by Anubis; 07-23-2014 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Testing a theory.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,237x in 6,877 Posts
    Items Martini
Gift received at 12-13-2013, 03:34 PM from swanner
Celebration Time, Keep up the good work BudSome beer
Gift received at 07-18-2013, 04:52 PM from marcelect
Message: wHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND.HAvein this heat wavethis cold oneFriesPizzaBurgerBeefTrophy 3
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 11:21 AM from ICEMANFootball
Gift received at 11-06-2012, 03:44 AM from Styx_N_Stones

'lol I gave him a couple g's and he blew it all in a matter of hrs'

I didn't want you to think I was spending the money on myself. That's why I posted a reply explaining where the SatFix Bux went.

Here's a little token of my gratitude for your generous donation. Please accept it in the spirit that its meant...

S_N_S

Your post above self moderated as the site saw you as a spammer with the live link in there which we do not allow to outside sites. You need to wrap the link or take out the tt in http so the link is dead.
    I wrapped both of them for you and approved the posts.

This should help you......http://www.satfix.net/showthread.php...onary-of-Terms
    Last edited by Anubis; 07-23-2014 at 08:23 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anubis For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 9x in 2 Posts

Well, thanks, i never knew my posts were that intelligent to automoderate themselves. From now on i will
    Code:
    http://examplesite.com
    on my links.

EDIT:
    And thanks for the glossary.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hiko2 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,237x in 6,877 Posts
    Items Martini
Gift received at 12-13-2013, 03:34 PM from swanner
Celebration Time, Keep up the good work BudSome beer
Gift received at 07-18-2013, 04:52 PM from marcelect
Message: wHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND.HAvein this heat wavethis cold oneFriesPizzaBurgerBeefTrophy 3
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 11:21 AM from ICEMANFootball
Gift received at 11-06-2012, 03:44 AM from Styx_N_Stones

'lol I gave him a couple g's and he blew it all in a matter of hrs'

I didn't want you to think I was spending the money on myself. That's why I posted a reply explaining where the SatFix Bux went.

Here's a little token of my gratitude for your generous donation. Please accept it in the spirit that its meant...

S_N_S

You are welcome.