Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Remote control stopped working on CW4000

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

What is KP_Multiply?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

What is KP_Multiply? The asterick is the multiply button right, but shift and the number 8 key doesn't work for volume up

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 43x in 28 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chasek77 View Post
    What is KP_Multiply? The asterick is the multiply button right, but shift and the number 8 key doesn't work for volume up
    The 10 key , key pad . You probably do not have this on your wireless key pad . I will look and see if we can remap it in the back end.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Default Information

Quote Originally Posted by mindbender View Post
    The 10 key , key pad . You probably do not have this on your wireless key pad . I will look and see if we can remap it in the back end.
    I have a Logitech wireless keyboard, which does have a keypad to the right, which has numbers 0-9 and insert and delete, enter, +, -,*, /, num lock

Will that work? It sucks having no volume

Kurt

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Update. I used the control key and the * on the keypad and it worked. Thank you so much! I still wish the PCB board could be fixed.

Kurt

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,523x in 764 Posts

Well, then tear into the box and take photos, make a list of parts on the board, google for info on the chips--see what you can figure out. Post what you see and get.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jvvh5897 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I bought a 2nd CW4000 on Ebay and swapped out the board and now it works, but I will post a picture of the board, so I can possibly get that fixed.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I wrote a few weeks/months ago about having my HD channels come up with a green screen and could not figure out why this was happening since the SD channels were coming in fine. I thought maybe my Genpix Skywalker card was bad well after buying a 2nd CW4000 from an auction site, I found out what the problem was.

I had a power surge destroy my power supply and corrupt my flash card. In the process of taking everything apart I hooked up the remote control circuit board incorrectly and probably shorted out the board or chip. Well, when I got the 2nd CW4000 box and swapped out the PCB card for the remote control it fixed the green screen issue and the remote control started working again, which meant no more using a keyboard for commands. Bottom line is if your circuit board for your remote control goes out you can get SD channels, but not HD channels. Channel 9421 is a good example of how to check to see if your HD channels are working since it is in the clear.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Here are pictures of the PCB board that does NOT work. I think the chip just needs to be replaced, since it has some burnt marks on the processor. See pictures. What do you guys think?

IMG_5075[1].jpg
    IMG_5076[1].jpg
    IMG_5077[1].jpg

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2x in 2 Posts

It is easy to replace ir sensor for CW, build the hackaday 18f4550 board or buy one pre-built, and program chip with code, I have the code, and have built 4 of them, they all work perfect. Basically the remote is a wireless keyboard and uses such commands. Parex 9708 remote

12. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeamok For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Default Question

Quote Originally Posted by eyeamok View Post
    It is easy to replace ir sensor for CW, build the hackaday 18f4550 board or buy one pre-built, and program chip with code, I have the code, and have built 4 of them, they all work perfect. Basically the remote is a wireless keyboard and uses such commands. Parex 9708 remote
    I want the replaced IR sensor card to work with the original remote control rather then with a wireless keyboard. The wireless keyboard does work. I have found that if the IR sensor card does not work then you get a green screen for HD channels although SD channels come in fine. I was reading that Captiveworks did this so cloning would not happen. Can I either send you the old IR sensor and have you fix it or can I buy the part from you of a new IR sensor? This would be very important to me. I had to buy a 2nd Captiveworks 4000 and swap parts to get my original to work. I would love to get the 2nd unit to work as well via your great idea.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,949x in 826 Posts

Just seen this.

I have two CW4000 remotes plus two sensors as well as a card adapter.

The number on the chip for one IR board is 0707908 and the other is 0707540 plus the USB cables.

You can have them all for 50 bucks. I'll ship for free.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 3x in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jvvh5897 View Post
    Hum...I know nothing about this box, but in others the IR sensor is a three pin integrated circuit with a photo diode inside and a amp to clean up the signal to get to TTL like levels. The sensor runs on 5 volts typically just like the usb port might share but can be bought in 3.3V versions. If you had an odd enough power fail, the sensor might be bad but you could test that pretty easy--use a capacitor to pin that looks to be not ground or +V and feed it to a audio line-in on a PC (or you could feed it to any line-in on a stereo using capacitor and just listen to the sound). The remotes typically use a carrier on time of about 500 micro seconds and off times of 500 micro sec or 1000 micro sec--that is 2000 Hertz to about 1500 Hertz tones. I've even held AM receivers close to a remote and been able to hear the thing work when a button is pressed, but with a linux based box, I bet there is too much noise generated for you to try that inside the box.

My apologies for being 3 years late to the conversation. All respect to jvvh, great work on the sti stb units .

Regarding cw4000

It is a computer running a debian based linux. On a msi motherboard. With a custom bios, that the os checks for , if you "update" or change to msi bios

The remote control stops working as does the genpix Skywalker 1 cw3k 8psk tuner .

Why? Simple since its a computer running open source , many clones were made, cw wanted to protect their sales and work.

What work?
    1) Converting a Germany based VDR satellite and cable media receiver to use in English north America satellites

2) writing a stb like flash interface for TV use.

3) allowing scanning of american satellites , and convert to sort by Station ID aka sid aka channel number .

4) dev of a remote control and a ir receiver module. Which is recorded on a Cyprus dipp semi.

The remote control module on bootup is recognized as a mouse. That way any keyboard still works.

Several people made clones of the remote ir receiver with plugs into the msi on board usb header.

As to dinosaur, well unlike 99% of past FTA boxes , this is a computer and continues to run,

1) its a PVR it records the entire stream including the info button data, all the audio including Dolby digital and stereo, it records native video that they're sending.

2) Its a DVD recorder/player makes flawless DVD of any recording that plays on any DVD stb.

3) its a media center that can be logged into by another device and watched live TV or recordings

4) unlike a htpc its purpose built and can be 100% controlled by the remote control, which is why people call it a FTA maybe.

5) the base software ie the linux and the flash and the VDR are all currently made and widely used in europe.

6) in Europe they use it as a hub/server to behave as a Hopper /Joey style system.

6a) it can accept cable, ota HD antenna tuners

6b) supports 2TB hard disks for recording.

If your original ir module does not work, maybe someone in Glendale has a spare one. Caution if you plug it in the wrong position you roast something in the module .

I know it's late but I hope this helps

I know several people who run this unit flawlessly om the 17 r2 software as we speak.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 3x in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Benney View Post
    Just seen this.

I have two CW4000 remotes plus two sensors as well as a card adapter.

The number on the chip for one IR board is 0707908 and the other is 0707540 plus the USB cables.

You can have them all for 50 bucks. I'll ship for free.
    Be careful of orientation when you plug the ir receiver into usb header . I would suggest you look at wayback machine and read captiveworks.org how to on this. Or you'll fry them too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123