Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you think of this Bowtie antenna?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 154x in 74 Posts

As Terryl said, and I first thought, you are going to need more height in order to get a halfway decent number of channels. I would go with the $20 8 bay bowtie antenna on that same site. I have one installed in Ontario, about 40-45 feet up, shooting south and pick up everything in Buffalo crystal clear as well as everything in between. I've got about 30 HD stations. That's about 110 miles as the crow flies. With the straight 8 bay, you can also pick up channels from the back side of the antenna.

wd

2. The Following User Says Thank You to willydilly For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 166x in 106 Posts
    Items HeadstonesTV

Thanks for all the replies! There is 3 antennas on MCM. Should I go with the more expensive one or just one of the cheaper ones?

hXXp://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2430

hXXp://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2425

hXXp://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2155

Thanks again

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dcapper For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 154x in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Noof View Post
    How did you get 45 feet up?Are you in an apartment?
    3 story house plus mounted on the chimney stack.............pretty close to 40-45 feet. On a really clear day I can even get Channel 10 from Rochester, which is well east of Buffalo.

wd

6. The Following User Says Thank You to willydilly For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 154x in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dcapper View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! There is 3 antennas on MCM. Should I go with the more expensive one or just one of the cheaper ones?

hXXp://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2430

hXXp://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2425

hXXp://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2155

Thanks again
    Personally, I'd go with the cheaper one. If it doesn't work out, you can always upgrade. When I first bought mine, I thought I'd need a gain booster, so I bought it as well. After scanning, it was obvious that I didn't need the extra gain, so I returned it.

wd

8. The Following User Says Thank You to willydilly For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items HeadstonesTV

Thanks!

Like I said earlier, I have the Philips one and I'm getting Wink and MeTV so I'm happy but the weird thing is, only some tv's are picking up the signals. I'm assuming some tuners are stronger than others? That was why I ordered the 4 way amplifier to see if that helps first before buying a new antenna.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 154x in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Noof View Post
    It's funny how the sun comes into play as well:I live in Burlington,ont & ia hae an 8 bay channelMaster aimed at upstate NY (Buffalo).On a typical evening,my signal strenght for most channels (with or without the winegard preamp) is 80 to 100 percent.At 2 in the afternoon on a bright sunny day,signal strength bobbles between 60 & 80 percent without the preamp, & 70 to 90% with the preamp.For tha reason , I use the preamp.
    I have soooooooooooo much to watch and not enough hours in the day. Between OTA, stolen cable, IKS and IPTV on the doorstep, not to mention VHS, DVD's etc. I'll never be without as far as entertainment.

wd

11. The Following User Says Thank You to willydilly For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items HeadstonesTV

Update for you friends. Originally I had the cable come from the Philips antenna to the amp about 25' away. Then to the tv beside it. Got 11 channels. Today I ran cables to all the bedrooms and the sunroom. Moved the amp about 40-50' away from the antenna then split it throughout the house. Now I get around 16 channels in all the bedrooms. I don't think I'll need to buy another antenna. This gets me Wink and MeTV. Those are the important channels to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12