Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mounting a antenna question

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 5x in 5 Posts

what I want is to catch both Toronto and a New York signal using both my antenna's the digiwave 5006 and the digiwave 5011 they both have amplifiers already with them and from what I was told is that when your going with two signals you need a diplexer and a tv splitter to run it to how many tvs your going with

I'm only using OTA Signals don't have sat or cable

And I haven't added the diplexer yet right now its only one OTA antenna up and running that is the Toronto signal I've ran it to my 1 in to 3 out tv splitter that has one antenna in and three out I've used 1 out so far

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 5x in 5 Posts

and I was only asking if the pre amplifier would work I wasn't picking one up until I researched if it would help or not

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 5x in 5 Posts

image.jpgimage.jpg

thats what I have so far thats hitting toronto so please guide me on how to get my other antenna up and running catch a new york signal that antenna has a amplifer on it my cable running from that one is hooked up to my living room tv with a 1 in 3 out splitter already using it for my living room tv my other antenna has a ampifier also now like someone posted before about mounting it on the same pole but have so many feet in between each antenna I don't think I can it will have to be done on another pole and further away from that one unless I measure 6 feet apart and then put both poles and antennas up thats about 24 feet height I have on my side
    Last edited by Kane84; 01-23-2015 at 06:15 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Ok, heres what needs to be done, your going to have problems combining two different antennas into one coax, you need a special combiner to do it right, it can be done with some special instructions and exactly the same setups.

The best way to do this is the run two seperate systems, then use A/B switches to go between the two, this will save you the heartache and hair loss of trying to co-phase two TV antennas to make it work without problems.

To set this up right, use two TV antenna with pre-amps, two 3 way splitters, two separate runs of coax from the antennas (one each) and A/B switches at each TV that needs to use the two setup's.

The DC power supply's for the pre-amps need to go on the DC path side of the 3 way splitters.

Now the 3 way splitters will attenuate the signals by about 9 dB, this is 1/4th of the signal to each TV set, you loose 1/2 of your signal with each 6 dB of signal loss.

Example: Say the signal is at -100 dBuV, (or 100 mV) deduct 3 dB and it drops to -103 dBuV (70.7 mV ) deduct another 3 dB and its at -106 dBuV (50.12 mV) deduct another 3 dB and your now down to -109 dBuV (35 mV), this is the signal going to each TV set.

So if you add up your losses, the coax then splitters and A/B switches you then deduct this from the gain of the antenna and pre-amps, if your gains out weight equals your losses then the system should work.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 5x in 5 Posts

There is no other way of doing this I really didn't want to be using a a/b switch that's all

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12