Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just received Demand Letter ......

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 11x in 5 Posts

Default Just received Demand Letter ......

Hello all, new member from another site that went away(D**P***) and looking for whats the latest when one receives the love letter from our friends in Houston.....
    I did just get one and have been searching on what the consensus was on how handle it. My situation is I'm in a state that they haven't taken anyone to court (I don't want to be the first), the PP transaction date is coming up on 3 yrs (statute of limitations?) and I don't believe I made any posts/pm's that are incriminating......
    The reseller was N**k*a if that matters. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 11x in 5 Posts

woo hoo - 100 views and not one reply...am I asking something that's taboo? Not asking for legal advice just opinions on what would you do and don't want to offend anyone. Don't want to give up $3500 too easily but also realize the bigger picture.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 307x in 163 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by soupkitchen View Post
    woo hoo - 100 views and not one reply...am I asking something that's taboo? Not asking for legal advice just opinions on what would you do and don't want to offend anyone. Don't want to give up $3500 too easily but also realize the bigger picture.
    anyone that settled probably wants it to remain private ... and in all probability will not frequent any satellite related sites ... I would venture to guess that the consensus would be that you should seek legal advice ...

I'm sure there have been more than a few cases that were settled before any litigation began, but those settlements will be confidential ... even if a settlement was reached during a trial, it will still be confidential ... so the prospects of getting any inside info are very slim ...

take a quick look at all the cases and how they were settled ... ones that are listed as confidential may be of use to you .... at least it will give you the name of the lawyer that acted on behalf on the defendant ...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kutter For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,052x in 934 Posts

I stopped and read your post a couple of times but didn't reply or advise because of inexperience on the subject and did not want to give wrong advice.
    And as other member mentioned that if someone had got caught, and paid, then hitting an fta site would be the last place you'd want to frequent in hopes of bumping into another person that paid the piper.
    All I can do is to wish you well and to get a lawyer.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whoknows For This Useful Post:

hedley is offline VIP/Satfix 2014 NFL Pool Week #13 Champion
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,180x in 997 Posts
    Items A Beer
Gift received at 05-02-2015, 08:22 PM from nob0dy

enjoy !USAMexicoWhiskey

why not just post the demand letter, just white out the incriminating information, from the testimonials that I have read if they sent you a demand letter then they have you by the short hairs my friend, those that do not settle out of court usually pay the piper $10,000.00 per offense plus court and lawyer fees.
    Luca Brasi Swims With me

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hedley For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 97x in 50 Posts
    Items Some beer
Gift received at 09-05-2013, 12:32 AM from darlinkat

i'm not lawyer but,play safe always subscribe that means you are on his side
    idiot + idiot = 2 idiots

10. The Following User Says Thank You to monchino For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

there were a few cases that were Dismissed With Out Prejudice
    Quote Originally Posted by alex70olds
    Dish Network L.L.C., et al v. Lohnes
    Dish Network L.L.C. et al v. Frederick
    Dish Network L.L.C. et al v. Forbes
    then there were several that were Voluntary Dismissal
    Dish Network L.L.C. et al v. Ventura
    DISH Network LLC et al v. Aurora Herrera
    DISH Network L.L.C. et al v. Le
    DISH Network L.L.C. et al v. Cooney
    DISH Network L.L.C. et al v. Chen
    DISH Network L.L.C. et al v. Platt
    then there was this one that could prove interesting
    Dish Network L.L.C. et al v. Suarez - Default Judgment $0 Judge Crossed out Damages, considered injunction adequate.
    all of the above were copied from a document that alex posted ...

I'm not sure if any of the cases will be of any value, but they are the only ones that might provide a little insight into how to proceed. If you've decided to pay the demand then I would imagine you wish to keep the legal costs to a minimum so the above cases might not be of any interest to you. Although it might be worth your while to provide that info to your lawyer. He will have a pacer account and should be able to quickly determine if any of it could be applied to your situation.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kutter For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 557x in 268 Posts

Hello all, new member from another site that went away(D**P***) and looking for whats the latest when one receives the love letter from our friends in Houston.....
    I did just get one and have been searching on what the consensus was on how handle it. My situation is I'm in a state that they haven't taken anyone to court (I don't want to be the first), the PP transaction date is coming up on 3 yrs (statute of limitations?) and I don't believe I made any posts/pm's that are incriminating......
    The reseller was N**k*a if that matters. Thanks in advance for any insight.

It appears from Kutter's post that they have taken some to court from your state but no one was hit with a judgment. Some could have settled out of court.

It usually comes to down to rolling the dice or not. Roll meaning to ignore and hope it does not materialized into something worse than had you settled.

There is no correct answer because no one has a crystal ball. Probably the most correct answer is to talk to a lawyer.

GS2

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gunsmoke2 - GS2 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I don't know what State he was from .... the cases I posted were simply ones that didn't end with a default judgment or a settlement

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kutter For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 11x in 5 Posts

I can/will post letter if anyone thinks that it would be of any help or interesting....Thanks for all the reply's..

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soupkitchen For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

those are the only cases that I'm aware of that might hold the key to a successful defense ... the rest of them didn't fare too well ... almost every other case ended with a judgment of $10,000 or higher ... I don't know why these ones ended in the manner that they did, but the answer could be in the court documents ...

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 17x in 8 Posts

I'm no lawyer but have worked on many civil litigation cases as a law clerk for a lawyer. The onus is on them to prove your guilt not you proving your innocence.
    You do have a right to know what they are relying on to warrant court action. It's called disclosure.
    The first thing any lawyer is going to do in a litigation suit is demand full disclosure. From that disclosure you or your lawyer can determine your course of action.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to piratesrevenge For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piratesrevenge View Post
    I'm no lawyer but have worked on many civil litigation cases as a law clerk for a lawyer. The onus is on them to prove your guilt not you proving your innocence.
    You do have a right to know what they are relying on to warrant court action. It's called disclosure.
    The first thing any lawyer is going to do in a litigation suit is demand full disclosure. From that disclosure you or your lawyer can determine your course of action.
    yes but discovery only comes after a suit is filed ... at that point you stand to lose $10,000 if you aren't successful ...

23. The Following User Says Thank You to kutter For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piratesrevenge View Post
    That's not quite correct. Civil is based on a preponderance of evidence ... criminal law requires proof ...

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kutter For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 17x in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kutter View Post
    yes but discovery only comes after a suit is filed ... at that point you stand to lose $10,000 if you aren't successful ...
    Isn't that what I just said.

Originally Posted by piratesrevenge I'm no lawyer but have worked on many civil litigation cases as a law clerk for a lawyer. The onus is on them to prove your guilt not you proving your innocence.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to piratesrevenge For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast