Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: substitute for antenna 300 ohms to 75 connection.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 7x in 2 Posts

A loop of coax cable will also act as an impedance matcher for your antenna. That amp you have is a distribution amp. It is bi-directional and is made for cable. It will work for antenna but is really a cable tv amp and not for mounting close to the antenna like a pre-amp. Do you have the power supply connected to the amp? Google "homemade coax loop balun" to make a coax balun for your antenna.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,523x in 764 Posts

Just to let the OP know, I did a test on an antenna to try to duplicate what he did. I used a junky VHF/UHF/FM signal splitter with matching balun to setup the antenna (two bay loop type Radio Shack UHF) as best I could. Then I tried just going to coax with a couple of alligator leads--I could do as well or better than the splitter, but had a signal analyser as well as signal meter on a DTV converter box to aid me and some of best signal came from making some very unusual connections.
    Best results came from using a 300 to 75 ohm matching balun--on the signal meter it showed weakest channel at 35-37 and with other ways I got from 25-32. I know the signal meter does get number from SNR, so not dB but related.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jvvh5897 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 9x in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jvvh5897 View Post
    Just to let the OP know, I did a test on an antenna to try to duplicate what he did. I used a junky VHF/UHF/FM signal splitter with matching balun to setup the antenna (two bay loop type Radio Shack UHF) as best I could. Then I tried just going to coax with a couple of alligator leads--I could do as well or better than the splitter, but had a signal analyser as well as signal meter on a DTV converter box to aid me and some of best signal came from making some very unusual connections.
    Best results came from using a 300 to 75 ohm matching balun--on the signal meter it showed weakest channel at 35-37 and with other ways I got from 25-32. I know the signal meter does get number from SNR, so not dB but related.
    aajvvh5897; of course if you use alligator leads you're going to get worse signal,you have to connect the coaxial center lead and the ground coaxial straight to the antenna,and i also ground the negative to the house utility ground,

note that i also tried to use almost same way as alligators leads as you did i had less signal.

http://postimg.org/image/d161lt343/ef75894e/
    Last edited by Frank55; 06-30-2015 at 05:56 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 9x in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingTVnow View Post
    A loop of coax cable will also act as an impedance matcher for your antenna. That amp you have is a distribution amp. It is bi-directional and is made for cable. It will work for antenna but is really a cable tv amp and not for mounting close to the antenna like a pre-amp. Do you have the power supply connected to the amp? Google "homemade coax loop balun" to make a coax balun for your antenna.
    i have the distribution amp close to the antenna in the mast inside a water proof in-casing and a power insert-er inside the house,i have now the best reception i ever had, so no need to change anything, nor pay for baluns

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 464x in 184 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frank55 View Post
    i have the distribution amp close to the antenna in the mast inside a water proof in-casing and a power insert-er inside the house,i have now the best reception i ever had, so no need to change anything, nor pay for baluns
    Maybe OTA signals nowadays won't fry your set up! Good for you.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 9x in 6 Posts

what do you mean fry,sorry i'm not English,for me; fry means damage,and my set up is i'd say about 90% ok.

these are the chan i get in perfect conditions with this set up.

http://tvlistings.aol.com/listings/m...-the-air/02720

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...82300e5f056fb3
    Last edited by Frank55; 07-01-2015 at 03:23 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12