Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: did dish flip the switch?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 13x in 4 Posts

What kind of boxes are you lookin for?
    I wish I had half a brain - then I might know what you guys are talkin about ..... LOL
    I have a ton of different boxes I have accumlated over the years..............

c8rbk1ng is offline VIP, Satfix 2014 NFL Pool Week #5 & week # 15 Champion
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,089x in 1,142 Posts
    Items Crab
Gift received at 08-08-2015, 07:53 PM from gAsH
Message: I tried 15x in a row with different people and lost every time! :lol: 

Here is a gift for the crabby old man :tehe: You spelled your name wrong, should be Cr8bk1ng :PWireless AccessPopcornGuitar2JeepCamaroFootball

I want to thank you guys for giving me a chuckle today...by reviving a year old thread...in the RUMORS section...with replies that have nothing to do with the original post!
    Last edited by c8rbk1ng; 03-12-2017 at 05:03 AM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,523x in 764 Posts

Gee, I would think listening to the news out of Washington would be keeping everyone chuckling (or chucking).

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jvvh5897 For This Useful Post:

c8rbk1ng is offline VIP, Satfix 2014 NFL Pool Week #5 & week # 15 Champion
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,089x in 1,142 Posts
    Items Crab
Gift received at 08-08-2015, 07:53 PM from gAsH
Message: I tried 15x in a row with different people and lost every time! :lol: 

Here is a gift for the crabby old man :tehe: You spelled your name wrong, should be Cr8bk1ng :PWireless AccessPopcornGuitar2JeepCamaroFootball

Quote Originally Posted by jvvh5897 View Post
    Gee, I would think listening to the news out of Washington would be keeping everyone chuckling (or chucking).
    That's not funny...THAT'S SCARY!!!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to c8rbk1ng For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

As for what DSS boxes I might need--none. My interest is not really in cracking the CW exchange in the prov boxes, it was getting an FTA box to do that type of stream and I did that a year ago for a box that I have. Lots of boxes could be setup to do the same--old and new--at least for the SD streams.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,036x in 1,728 Posts

As for what DSS boxes I might need--none. My interest is not really in cracking the CW exchange in the prov boxes, it was getting an FTA box to do that type of stream and I did that a year ago for a box that I have. Lots of boxes could be setup to do the same--old and new--at least for the SD streams.
    Sounds interesting mt friend, care to let us all in on it?
    You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jazzman For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I did. Posts were a year ago in Advanced section. The digiwave 7000 is basically the same hardware as the DTV's Gaeboa box, so the mods were relatively easy in software. I also figured out how to get the pansat 2500 box's tuner to send out the DSS stream to processor, but had trouble getting the processor to pull in that stream (even though I figured out how to mod pansat code running on DTV's DRD430 box)--there are some hints in source code I have that the Zinwell chip needs to have a setting of "ignore sync byte" in the processor. BTW, the 301-013 box is basically the same hw as DRD430 so it can do the same as DRD430 running pansat code modded for DSS.
    The Conexant based Viewsat Platinum can lock into 101 degree sat with no mods at all--I bet all that that box needs is a channel list to start working--it is very similar to the D11 DTV box. For the dg7k and pansat2500, I generated a channel list by taking the TPN_mapping_domestic (saved as text) from dsstalk site and directly building a list for the boxes with python code as the DTV signal does not have a PAT but embed channel data PIDs in the APG EPG packets (I did not want to figure out the APG--getting PIDS and ch names out of MPG is easy but they shut that down a couple years ago).
    The coolsat 5000 is also Conexant based but with the same tuner as in the pansat2500 type box--I bet a couple of tuner register mods and a load of the same channel list I set up for the dg7k as cs4k would get it going.
    On newer boxes with 8PSK Turbo FEC modules based on BCM4500--the data brief for the chip says that is Directv compatable--might even auto detect the signal and switch itself to the right mode as does the Conexant processor (if the right register is set to do so).
    The DSS SD signal is very like the DVB-S signal but shorter packets and video/audio are diff format--nothing that most processors are setup to handle. Broadcom, Conexant and ST Micro do business with DTV, so most processor/tuners based on the chips can do DSS. MStar, Ali and NovaTek most likely can not as most of their business is out of the USA.
    Last edited by jvvh5897; 03-19-2017 at 07:45 PM.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jvvh5897 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

BTW, if you want to see if your box may be "ready" for DSS signals and you are pointed at 119W already, then just see if you get any of the top 10 TP (excepting 24). The TPs 22 on up are largely DSS with spot beams on TP31 and I think 25 and 23. The channels on that set of TP are largely Spanish Lang, but there are a few other langs. Spot beams are locals that did not fit on 101 degree sat I think. You might be able to test if the box tries to get the channels by manually adding PIDs--they use a small set of PIDs.
    The more interesting chs are on the 101 W sat (about 330 or so). 119W only has 100 or so.

http://www.ftaconcept.com/showthread.php?p=743224#post743224
    Suggests that the Dreamlink T5 might lock onto DSS signals just fine too
    Last edited by jvvh5897; 03-19-2017 at 07:47 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jvvh5897 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I've been looking at the APG packets to see if it is easy to pull a channel list out of it. Seems 101 degree TP 2, PID 820 is the key to getting it. Some of the data is compressed as far as I can tell. Might open a thread in advanced section on the topic. So far I see lots of channels that don't seem to show up on the TPN Map--not sure why or if it makes any real diff though.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jvvh5897 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 243x in 142 Posts
    Items DishWhiskeyA BeerPresentpoisonTreasureCashRibbon 3

My neighbour has a DL T4 and let me do a bit of testing on 119. I created a TP in a new sat 12676, 20000, auto FEC. I got signal and quality and did a PID scan with VID PID set to auto and FEC set to auto, I wonder if the symbol rate is incorrect as I was not able to scan anything.

If I have to manually ad the PID what is the symbol rate?

It should be noted that the audio channels on David are not encrypted (music anyway) if memory serves correct.

BTW, if you want to see if your box may be "ready" for DSS signals and you are pointed at 119W already, then just see if you get any of the top 10 TP (excepting 24). The TPs 22 on up are largely DSS with spot beams on TP31 and I think 25 and 23. The channels on that set of TP are largely Spanish Lang, but there are a few other langs. Spot beams are locals that did not fit on 101 degree sat I think. You might be able to test if the box tries to get the channels by manually adding

PIDs--they use a small set of PIDs.
    The more interesting chs are on the 101 W sat (about 330 or so). 119W only has 100 or so.

Suggests that the Dreamlink T5 might lock onto DSS signals just fine too

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

You can get all that at Lyngsat, but the freqs in use match 110, SR is 20000, FEC is 7/8 I think. You can't scan DSS signals with FTA box as they don't use PAT and other DVB-S tables (they set up their system before the international group that decided that stuff).
    You might get something if your box auto-detects the DSS format and switches to the correct video and audio stream format, but you will have to build a channel (or channel list) with the PIDs in use (they use VPID at multiples of decimal 10 and english audio stream APID are 1 greater (if any additional audio streams are present then keep adding 1--many chs have spa SAP)). The music channels are similar multiples of ten but no added digits. I covered a lot of that down in the advanced section threads. And I have figured out a lot of the APG stream now--think I can generate most of the TPN_Map_Domestic from the 820 PID stream. Think local's info are on PID 800 TP2 of 101 degree sat but in old post on early TPN mapping work at dbstalk I saw a note that folks should record PID 820-82f.

And , yes all the audio channels are not encrypted on SD--so lots of music channels and lots of TV ch audio. I find that many TV shows do not really need the video. You can listen to the talking head channels like MSNBC and not really miss much.
    There is one open video ch--the ch 100 (ch 200 and others) is the PPV preview channel so you might be able to view that one if you setup the PIDs right.

Thanks for the report on the box!!
    Last edited by jvvh5897; 03-30-2017 at 04:42 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jvvh5897 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Found a TSReader shot of a DSS TP and attached the PID part of display (ricks wildfeed was where I found it). You can see a fairly typical set of PID in use. Those ones with PID up around 3000 are the APG EPG update info. PID 2 is the CA equiv of EMM packets.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 531x in 182 Posts

i too enjoyed those graphics

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234