Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: did dish flip the switch?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 306x in 192 Posts

Default did dish flip the switch?

Seeing as all servers having issues, and its not an ECM, wonder if Charlie flipped the anycast switch, and I KS providers are scrambling.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 240x in 125 Posts
    Items Cash
Gift received at 06-12-2016, 03:02 PM from gAsH

No they didn't few servers still up

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dzaster For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 364x in 129 Posts

Seems like IKS is having more and more of a hard time holding on to the Steering wheel.Channels are slow to come back and when they do there is freezing issues and lots of channels take days to resurrect.When they do resurrect another ECM Hits and we lose more ground then the last time around.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blazerbong For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,494x in 807 Posts
    Items Vintage carCheckered FlagCanadaElephant 2RepMedalMartiniDish

All of the monthly card hits from Dishnet has taken its toll and some seeders are getting tired of replacing receivers and cards everytime they get hit - it gets pretty expensive.
    One of the big seeders has called it quits - so all of the sharing and re-sharing of caches that was going on between different services has been affected.

There are a few services now running their own card servers instead of buying a cache push - but they now prefer not to sell their cache to other services - they want them all to buy a reseller panel from them instead of using their cache - much easier to control the leaching that was going on and also more money for them. Since a cache isn't available anymore some services are starting to use their own card servers - but that will take a little while to set up new accounts, buy new cards and receivers, pull the BGA chip from the motherboard, read it, solder it back in and then feed it to their load balancer. When they get hit again - they'll have to go through that whole thing again.

I'm sure someone is working on setting up card servers that will be willing to sell his cache to other services - but it will take a few more days.
    NipPEr Is a diSh liCkeR!
    4e697050457220497320612062755474206c69436b655221

7. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,523x in 764 Posts

That is interesting, but I thought the idea of IKS is that it put all the tools to do signal theft in one place so that advanced ideas and tech could be used. From the sounds of that last post, no advanced tech is really in use--pretty much hobby level stuff. If you used advanced techniques, maybe new cards would not be needed with every ecm that comes along. Course with new IKS blocking anycast in the works, I'm not sure that actually using brains would be of any help at this point, but would it not have been better to do something creative earlier?

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jvvh5897 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jvvh5897 View Post
    That is interesting, but I thought the idea of IKS is that it put all the tools to do signal theft in one place so that advanced ideas and tech could be used. From the sounds of that last post, no advanced tech is really in use--pretty much hobby level stuff. If you used advanced techniques, maybe new cards would not be needed with every ecm that comes along. Course with new IKS blocking anycast in the works, I'm not sure that actually using brains would be of any help at this point, but would it not have been better to do something creative earlier?
    No one was able to figure how to stop the card hits. As soon as you pull a card out of the legal receiver and put it in a card server it can be hit by Dish Network. Once you have used a card in a card server - it is somehow marked for life - so even if you pull the card out and put it back into the legal receiver it will still get hit the next time Dishnet sends out the card hit ECM.

The logical answer was to leave the card in the legal receiver and try to send the Control Word requests and replies from the card to the card servers. They tried wiring the contact points of the card server to the same contact points on the legal receiver - so the signal from the dish would be sent to the legal receiver and to the card server and then the reply from the card would be send to both the legal receiver and to the card server - but they could never get it to work. The receiver would just shut down.
    A lot of money was thrown at the problem - but no one has figured it out so far and I doubt if they ever will.
    NipPEr Is a diSh liCkeR!

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Well the Black Hat info says that the newer cards are no better protected than the older ones. Advanced tech includes invasive attacks. As for "never getting passive intercept of card-box comms to work"--you have got to be kidding!--that is so basic a task!

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jvvh5897 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I'm guessing big money is still on the table for anyone that can find a way to avoid the card hits or to hack them. If it is so easy why hasn't anyone done it yet? The standard answer has always been nobody wants to confront the Providers - if they are smart enough to hack the cards or evade a card hit I'm sure they are smart enough to figure out a way to avoid a legal confrontation with the Providers.
    NipPEr Is a diSh liCkeR!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,243x in 3,573 Posts
    Items beer
Gift received at 10-10-2012, 05:14 PM from JCO

funny how the OP is dated the same day the last TPs on 110/119/129 went MPEG4...

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hutch For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,077x in 1,531 Posts
    Items USACokeFriesTVDishBurgerBox of crappoison

Hopefully most know the above picture is no more than a joke. This anycast rumor if memory serves me correctly got started around this time last year so here we are almost a year later and it is still hasn't happened. Bought my first receiver back in Dec. of 2005 knowing full well that there was no guarantee it would still be up a week later. But again here we are 11 years later and even though we have changed from standalone to iks it is still going. I just have not or ever will get bent out of shape when this goes down from time to time. In 11 years I've seen it go down anywhere from hours, days, weeks and months...longest being 3 months. So anything less than that and I'm ahead of the game. I don't try to figure out if and when it is finally going down for good...about like I don't waste time waiting and wondering about another standalone fix. I'll just ride it till there is nothing left to ride. Paid around 159 and change for my first stb and it had payed for it's self within the first month...including what I had put into my original poormans dish.

Last edited by abouttosnap; 03-25-2016 at 07:36 AM. Reason: added info

19. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to abouttosnap For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 306x in 192 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hutch View Post
    funny how the OP is dated the same day the last TPs on 110/119/129 went MPEG4...
    dont get how that funny, i didnt even know they switched

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wheresmystuff For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,243x in 3,573 Posts
    Items beer
Gift received at 10-10-2012, 05:14 PM from JCO

thought so... read here... http://www.satfix.to/showthread.php?...02#post1185002 ... its posted many times in other threads as well...

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hutch For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I'm guessing big money is still on the table
    I know I don't care about that.
    As for how folks might do it: There is an advanced section on this site and other's have things like Coder's corner sections or sections just for prov hacking. I posted on how one did not really need to do passive logging by "direct contact" with DTV box over at dss rookie site, you just modify the box code to send the info out on a serial port. That sort of project might be a good thing to have in a bag of tricks if anycast does happen anytime soon (if you can figure out the box code and how the processor might have access to CW in the new boxes then you have a chance at doing IKS with them). Might be good to figure out IKS with DTV boxes too--there was a little talk about that in one of the rumor threads a year or more ago, might be time to have work on that! Folks could post box flash dumps and I know a bit about disassembling box code to find interesting things. It is time that folks stop trying to guard their piece of the pie and have open work done on things of interest instead of the wall of silence on work. The idea that 'lots of money' was spent doing things with no progress is a shame!--a complete disregard of the talents available in the hobby if we work together. IKS has been around for what? 7 maybe 8 years? It was about that long ago that I pointed out in one forum that one could share CW between boxes (FTA boxes not prov). There really should be more in public about what you guys doing IKS are doing.

If I were a prov coder, I think I would have set up the DN card to require a periodic message from the box and if it were not there in a certain time period, the card would flag itself as being in a card server. Lots of other ways that one could do it though.

25. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to jvvh5897 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,036x in 1,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by abouttosnap View Post

Hopefully most know the above picture is no more than a joke. This anycast rumor if memory serves me correctly got started around this time last year so here we are almost a year later and it is still hasn't happened. Bought my first receiver back in Dec. of 2005 knowing full well that there was no guarantee it would still be up a week later. But again here we are 11 years later and even though we have changed from standalone to iks it is still going. I just have not or ever will get bent out of shape when this goes down from time to time. In 11 years I've seen it go down anywhere from hours, days, weeks and months...longest being 3 months. So anything less than that and I'm ahead of the game. I don't try to figure out if and when it is finally going down for good...about like I don't waste time waiting and wondering about another standalone fix. I'll just ride it till there is nothing left to ride. Paid around 159 and change for my first stb and it had payed for it's self within the first month...including what I had put into my original poormans dish.

Awesome graphics there my friend...you're getting really good in that department. I may have to ask you for a better sig as mines a bit outdated...
    You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jazzman For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,036x in 1,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jvvh5897 View Post
    I know I don't care about that.
    As for how folks might do it: There is an advanced section on this site and other's have things like Coder's corner sections or sections just for prov hacking. I posted on how one did not really need to do passive logging by "direct contact" with DTV box over at dss rookie site, you just modify the box code to send the info out on a serial port. That sort of project might be a good thing to have in a bag of tricks if anycast does happen anytime soon (if you can figure out the box code and how the processor might have access to CW in the new boxes then you have a chance at doing IKS with them). Might be good to figure out IKS with DTV boxes too--there was a little talk about that in one of the rumor threads a year or more ago, might be time to have work on that! Folks could post box flash dumps and I know a bit about disassembling box code to find interesting things. It is time that folks stop trying to guard their piece of the pie and have open work done on things of interest instead of the wall of silence on work. The idea that 'lots of money' was spent doing things with no progress is a shame!--a complete disregard of the talents available in the hobby if we work together. IKS has been around for what? 7 maybe 8 years? It was about that long ago that I pointed out in one forum that one could share CW between boxes (FTA boxes not prov). There really should be more in public about what you guys doing IKS are doing.

If I were a prov coder, I think I would have set up the DN card to require a periodic message from the box and if it were not there in a certain time period, the card would flag itself as being in a card server. Lots of other ways that one could do it though.
    jvvh, anything you can provide us will be greatly appreciated as I know you have really good skills in this department. Lead on my friend.
    You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jazzman For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast