Thread: Small Dish Motor Question

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 751x in 313 Posts

Default Small Dish Motor Question

I was bench testing a used motor in my living room to make sure it's ok before I put it up on a post. I think it's a Fortec Star HH42 but since there are no manufacturer markings on it I'm going by pics I found on Google. There is no "reset" button and there are separate buttons for east and west.

Anyway it responds fine to Usals input but it also responds to the first five sats in the list which are Diseqc 1.2 Shouldn't the motor respond to all or none of those commands ?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

It will respond to what ever you have setup in the controlling receiver.

USALS or Diseqc 1.2, what ever.

And I think to rest that motor you have to hold both East/West buttons down for a bit then power it down by disconnecting the coax to the motor, then reapply it.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

That's the thing, it's responding to the diseqc commands from moving to the first five sats in the list but after that it ignores the rest of the sats but still responds to Usals.

I tried holding down both buttons but nothing. Will try that reset procedure. Thanks.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Hold the two buttons in and remove the coax from the receiver, (or totally power down the receiver) then re apply the power (after releasing the buttons) this should reset all settings stored inside the receiver.

You must remove the DC power wile holding the buttons down.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Will need to enlist some help for this, or grow a few more arms. It does say the light will flash when the memory is erased. Will report back.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zayden For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

The reset didn't seem to work but I went ahead and mounted everything up anyhow as the weather is good and I wanted to take advantage of it.

After getting it all together (including jerry-rigging a motor-bracket-to-post clamp) I'm inclined to believe the motor and the dish aren't meant to be paired together. Reason is there is only a small available angle for adjusting the dish elevation up or down before the bracket behind the dish hits the motor assembly.

I may have enough play yet but I hit the wrong satellite before nightfall so will give it a go again when the weather clears.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Been having a bitch of a time with this. I managed to get it reset and up on the roof but tracking the arc is impossible as it turns out because there is play in the motor arm which is enough to lose lock on whatever it's pointed at.

Is this what's called backlash ?

If so can someone describe how the adjustment with the three screws actually manages to lessen backlash ?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 258x in 142 Posts

some have a tiny hole next to the led you stick a paper clip in to reset.
    It resets the settings in the motor,has nothing to do with the receiver.
    Backlash was funny,the instructions said to hit the screws with a screwdriver and hammer.
    I will have to search for it again in the archives.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by zelig; 10-08-2016 at 08:04 PM. Reason: pdf added

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I've seen that pdf but I can't understand how hitting the screws makes the adjustment work. I may have no choice but to attempt it anyway cause it's not really any good the way it is currently.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 464x in 184 Posts

I would think the screws have a Loctite on them that hitting them would loosen them? Save striping them?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jeldf For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,949x in 826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeldf View Post
    I would think the screws have a Loctite on them that hitting them would loosen them? Save striping them?

You are so right. It helps break the bond between the threads

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Benney For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Sounds like this adjustment is meant to compensate for wear. Wonder if I can do this without taking the dish/motor down...

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Tightened these adjustment screws with the dish in situ. One screw was pretry loose but I may have over tightened. The backlash was lessened considerably but the motor sounds a little stressed while moving now. Six of one, half dozen of another at this point.

Is there anything on 30w or 40w to use to help point this thing ? I mean, is Lyngsat still accurate for these sats ?

Also, should I be able to get PBS Montana on 125w or is that considerably weaker than the other PBS channels on the same bird ?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zayden View Post
    ...Anyway it responds fine to Usals input but it also responds to the first five sats in the list which are Diseqc 1.2 Shouldn't the motor respond to all or none of those commands ?
    I know this is obscure but I've had an AHA moment so will relay it.

My sats are set up for a VBox and start at stored position 22. These H-H motors have a table of euro sats installed by default - the sg2100 has 26 default for instance. When I choose the first sat in my list the receiver sends a diseqc 1.2 command to go to the sat stored at position 22 which my motor sees as a valid command. Same for the next four sats. For the sixth sat in my list, position 27 and beyond, there is no matching stored position on the motor and the diseqc command is ignored.

Mystery solved lol.
    Last edited by zayden; 10-12-2016 at 09:14 AM.