Samuel Reiman

Ohio-native Troy Coughlin, Jr., 26, will join Doug Kalitta and J.R. Todd as drivers for the Kalitta Motorsports Top Fuel team in 2017, aligning the legendary Kalitta and Coughlin names for the first time.

He will be the first Coughlin to compete in NHRA’s Top Fuel ranks since his grandfather Jeg Coughlin, Sr., who was winning races back in the 1970’s and 1980’s. It will also be the first time Kalitta Motorsports has fielded six cars in its 58 years in the sport.

“I am very excited to be competing in the Top Fuel class with Kalitta Motorsports,” said Coughlin, Jr, who has driven Junior Dragsters, Super Comp, Super Gas, Top Dragster and Pro Mod machines. “Kalitta Motorsports has a lot of history and legacy in NHRA similar to my family. The first time I came to Team Kalitta I noticed the family-type atmosphere and the extreme desire to win and I knew this was the team I wanted to be involved with. I am studying hard and plan to hit the ground running and have a strong start to the 2017 NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing season.”

Coughlin, Jr. will run a limited schedule in 2017, which may be expanded with additional funding. His full schedule, sponsorship and crew chief have all yet to be announced.

Coughlin, Jr. won the Super Gas title in 2013, Rookie of the Year honors in the NHRA J&A Service Pro Mod series in 2015, and currently leads the points in Division 3’s Super Comp division. In addition, he also has two wins at the NHRA U.S. Nationals.

Coughlin Jr.’s father, Troy Coughlin, Sr., along with his uncles John Coughlin, Mike Coughlin and Jeg Coughlin, Jr., all have various drag racing championship to their names.

Coughlin, Jr. will be targeting the AAA Road to the Future rookie of the year trophy in 2017, something that his uncle, Jeg Coughlin Jr., and three of his new teammates - Del Worsham, Doug Kalitta and J.R. Todd - have all achieved in the past.

“Kalitta Motorsports is thrilled to have Troy, Jr. join our team,” said Jim Oberhofer, Vice President of Operations, Kalitta Motorsports. “He has a ton of talent and a passion for racing. The Coughlin and Kalitta names have a long track record of success in NHRA drag racing and we know Troy, Jr. is just going to help continue that tradition of success for both families for years to come.”