Tony DiZinno

The LMP1 privateer ranks are set to get a boost if customers step up to Ginetta’s new LMP1 chassis offering. The LMP1 rendering released today follows the success of the manufacturer’s LMP3 and G57 models, and will look to attract new entrants into the FIA World Endurance Championship.

Ginetta said it is in advanced talks with engine supplier MECACHROME as well as gearbox manufacturers Xtrac for the drive train. The car will be around 60kg lighter than a P2 and have up to 200BHP more. The manufacturer plans to build ten chassis to support three, two-car teams run by customers. Significant interest has already been expressed from both new and existing customers, including G57 customers PRT Racing and ARC Bratislava for their 2018 WEC campaigns.

Personnel-wise, Ginetta have perhaps scored a coup with the hirings of Adrian Reynard, who will head the aero development and Paolo Catone, who previously designed the Le Mans-winning Peugeot 908. The manufacturer also announced an as-yet-unnamed Head of Aerodynamics who has past LMP1-H experience.

“I’m hugely thankful to the ACO for the opportunity to run at the front and challenge for overall podiums,” said Ginetta Chairman Lawrence Tomlinson. “The Ginetta design team’s ability has already been proven by the class dominating Ginetta LMP3 and G57. With Adrian and Paolo on board, the performance of the Ginetta LMP1 is going to be amazing. We are now offering a genuine ladder for our customers all the way from first race to Le Mans which is incredibly exciting for me.”

“This certainly appeals to my competitive nature,” Reynard added. “Aerodynamics, driveability and fuel efficiency dominate race car performance in this category. With the highly talented team of experienced engineers that Ginetta has available, this LMP1 contender will be designed and developed to challenge at the highest level. Lawrence has a strong desire to create the very best LMP1 car available for the privateer and he has the commitment to deliver a production run of these.”