Tony DiZinno

Ross Brawn and Sean Bratches have been confirmed to key roles within Formula 1’s new leadership structure under new chairman/CEO Chase Carey.

Brawn, whose team won the 2009 World Championship with Jenson Button before laying the groundwork for Mercedes’ recent run of form, and who achieved a wealth of success with Michael Schumacher at Ferrari, has been installed as Managing Director, Motor Sports. Bratches, a former ESPN executive, will be Managing Director, Commercial Operations. It’s an undoubted key role in Brawn’s 40-year career.

Carey’s latter role was confirmed today as part of Liberty Media Corporation’s completed acquisition of the sport, which sees Bernie Ecclestone removed as CEO.

“I am delighted to welcome Ross back to Formula 1. In his 40 years in the sport, he’s brought his magic touch to every team with which he has worked, has almost unparalleled technical knowledge, experience and relationships, and I have already benefitted greatly from his advice and expertise,” Carey said in a release.

“I am thrilled Sean is joining Formula 1. Sean was a driving force in building ESPN into one of the world’s leading sports franchises. His expertise and experience in sales, marketing, digital media, and distribution will be invaluable as we grow Formula 1.

“I look forward to working with Ross and Sean, as well as key current executives including Duncan Llowarch, our CFO, and Sacha Woodward Hill, our General Counsel, the FIA, Bernie and Liberty as we work together to make Formula 1 the best it can be for the teams, promoters and fans for years to come.”

The Brawn appointment sees him back in the sport several years after the end of his time with Mercedes, and not long after the release of his new book. He’s been consulting to Liberty Media for several months.

“It’s fantastic to be returning to the world of Formula 1,” Brawn said. “I’ve enjoyed consulting with Liberty Media these last few months and I’m looking forward to working with Chase, Sean and the rest of the Formula 1 Team to help the evolution of the sport. We have an almost unprecedented opportunity to work together with the teams and promoters for a better F1 for them and, most importantly, for the fans.”

Bratches has more than 27 years experience and at ESPN, most recently served as Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing.

“I’m very excited to be joining Formula 1 and contribute to the continued growth of this extraordinary global brand and sport,” Bratches said. “Formula 1 is one of few truly global tier one sports, and I am encouraged by the manifold opportunities to materially grow the business, work closely with current and future sponsors, race circuits, television rights holders as well as create next generation digital and on-site race experiences to best serve the Formula 1 fans.”