Thread: PK Subban Returns to Montreal

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,093x in 3,592 Posts
    Items Vintage truck
Gift received at 01-14-2016, 04:33 AM from Wrench

Default PK Subban Returns to Montreal

Cobra...
    The circus is coming to town.....the media and fans will be out in droves tonite to welcome one of Montreal`s favorites back to The Bell Centre. PK Subban`s problem in Montreal had nothing to do with hockey...his problem was that he was quickly becoming bigger than the team, he was quickly becoming someone who could challenge the heirarchy of the Habs management in the very near future. Subban wouldn`t be afraid to "go public" with issues facing the Habs. None of that in Montreal...the Habs have always been a low key operation with a do as your told motto so Bergevin pulled off one of the most prolific trades of all time....and IMO came out the best for it. He went out and made a deal for the best defenseman in hockey to replace the most flamboyant player in hockey. It`s a business and the Habs business is to win.......Shea Weber gives them a better chance than Subban ever would of doing just that.
    Gladly Bell is carrying the Habs home game tonite in SW Ontario....I know I`ll watch it.

TSN

MONTREAL — No one expected P.K. Subban to slide quietly into town for his first game against the Montreal Canadiens, but what a splash the flashy defenceman made on Wednesday.

It stated with receiving a medal from the governor general of Canada for his charity work and continued with a packed news conference at the Bell Centre.
    "It's a privilege to play in the NHL and it's a privilege to be a player who is traded out of Montreal and still have this type of support," the Nashville Predators rearguard said. "Talk to a lot of guys who have been traded, I don't think they would be standing up here doing a press conference when they come back.
    "So I'm very honoured and happy to know that, in the Mecca of hockey, fans still support me and are behind me."
    How much they remain on Subban's side will be seen Thursday night when Subban plays his first game against the team he played for from 2009 to last June 29, when he was dealt to Nashville for Shea Weber in a straight-up trade of all-star defenceman.
    Canadiens who are traded away are often booed on their return, but it may be different for Subban.
    "I don't think it's fair to try to anticipate how you're going to feel," he sad. "You wait for the moment and take it in.
    "My focus will be on the two points, but obviously I look forward to playing in a building and in front of fans that I played in for so long. Some big games and some fun games. Probably the thing I look forward to most is hopefully seeing Madame Beliveau there.
    Subban was a favourite of Elise Beliveau, the widow of Canadiens great Jean Beliveau who still attends many games.
    The trade was a stunning move by general manager Marc Bergevin, who was looking to change up a team that collapsed after goalie Carey Price was injured early in the 2015-16 campaign.
    Subban was already a fan favourite for his skill and flair on the ice and his bubbly personality, but his popularity went through the roof in September, 2015 when he made a pledge to raise $10 million over seven years for the Montreal Children's Hospital, mainly for a program called P.K.'s Helping Hand to support families of sick kids.
    It was believed to be the biggest charitable commitment ever made by a Canadian athlete and it was the reason gov. gen. David Johnston was in the hospital's packed P.K. Subban Atrium to pin the Meritorious Service Cross on the player's chest. Subban's parents and two sisters, as well as many friends and fans, were on hand to share the moment.
    "It was pretty spectacular," he said. "It was the highest honour I've ever had in my life, so it's pretty special."
    This from a member of Canada's 2014 Olympic gold medal team and the 2013 winner of the Norris Trophy as the NHL's top defenceman.
    He was also the Canadiens highest-paid player, having been given an eight-year US$72 million deal ahead of the 2014-15 season.
    Subban took the high road on all the controversy surrounding the trade. He had kind words for former coach Michel Therrien, who some felt stifled his free-wheeling style with an overly defensive system of play and benched him when risky moves went awry.
    But he also had praise for Predators coach Peter Laviolette, who told Subban in their first phone call to be himself on and off the ice.
    "When you're in the top two defence pairings and you're one of the highest paid players you always feel you should get some sort of leash to do the things that make you the player that you are," he said. "Ultimately, you have to play within a system, but there's a reason I made it to the NHL.
    "There's a certain thing that I bring to the game that allows me to be the player I am, so you can't lose that. That's the thing about a good coach. You have 22 guys and you have to understand that there's 22 different people and you have to allow them to excel within their skill set. I think Lavvy has a really positive attitude."
    The trade is still hotly debated among Montreal fans, some who feel the team will regret losing the younger, quicker Subban and others glad to get the bigger and well-respected Weber.
    Subban missed the first meeting with Montreal on Jan. 3 in Nashville with an upper body injury. Weber scored a goal before his former home fans in the 2-1 Canadiens win, which was mainly marked by the booing of former Predator Alexander Radulov on his return to his former home.
    So far, the 31-year-old Weber holds a slight edge with 14 goals, 37 points and a plus-9 in 64 games for Montreal, while 27-year-old Subban has eight goals, 30 points and is minus-6 in 47 games as a Predator.
    But Subban only got his game going after returning from his injury in late January. He has 12 points in the last 10 games, in which Nashville went 6-3-1.
    The Canadiens struggled through February, when they didn't win a game in regulation time. But they are 4-2-0 since Claude Julien replaced Therrien, and are coming off three straight overtime wins.
    Subban admits it took some time to get over being traded and getting used to a new team, but now he loves Nashville and playing for the Predators. But the Toronto native will always have a soft spot for the team and city he started his NHL career in.
    "I'm an optimistic-type of guy and when life throws me a curveball or a sinker or a fastball, I'm swinging at it," he said. "I think your attitude is the most important thing."
    His lone regret was not helping Montreal win a Stanley Cup, he said

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 779x in 342 Posts

Hab's still cant get out of their goal slump. Going to be fun to watch this one. The trade deadline was just that dead wasted 5hrs watching this crap while teams traded players for pucks and burrito's.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Hanky For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,083x in 4,688 Posts
    Items Ying & yangRepCheckered FlagGolfCrown RoyalFootballGreeceCanada

Quote Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
    Cobra...
    The circus is coming to town.....the media and fans will be out in droves tonite to welcome one of Montreal`s favorites back to The Bell Centre. PK Subban`s problem in Montreal had nothing to do with hockey...his problem was that he was quickly becoming bigger than the team, he was quickly becoming someone who could challenge the heirarchy of the Habs management in the very near future. Subban wouldn`t be afraid to "go public" with issues facing the Habs. None of that in Montreal...the Habs have always been a low key operation with a do as your told motto so Bergevin pulled off one of the most prolific trades of all time....and IMO came out the best for it. He went out and made a deal for the best defenseman in hockey to replace the most flamboyant player in hockey. It`s a business and the Habs business is to win.......Shea Weber gives them a better chance than Subban ever would of doing just that.
    Gladly Bell is carrying the Habs home game tonite in SW Ontario....I know I`ll watch it.
    You said it buddy ,, plus the fact that he was getting into fist fights in the locker room and on the practice ice aided in the decision to get rid of him.

It used to annoy me every time he scored a goal he would thread his bow ?? like WTF was up with that? The low fives ,,, the high fives looked like he never grew out of his time in the juniors. Also, he gave up the puck more often than he scored. Which is why Therien benched him so often.

your right about the circus, he should have started a hockey reality show like the Kardashians ,, "Keeping up with PK" ...

I didn't like the guys' game but I greatly respect his contribution to the childrens' hospital,, very respectable regardless of the tax breaks or any other provision ,, many players in the league could have,, but he did. and well worth the recognition

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TLG For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,151x in 5,733 Posts
    Items helicopter
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassJeep
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassCrown Royal
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassSome beer
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from Bluegrasstreasure chest
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 05:52 PM from Bluegrass

Phuck Sewerban....

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Noof For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Vintage truck

Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    You said it buddy ,, plus the fact that he was getting into fist fights in the locker room and on the practice ice aided in the decision to get rid of him.

It used to annoy me every time he scored a goal he would thread his bow ?? like WTF was up with that? The low fives ,,, the high fives looked like he never grew out of his time in the juniors. Also, he gave up the puck more often than he scored. Which is why Therien benched him so often.

your right about the circus, he should have started a hockey reality show like the Kardashians ,, "Keeping up with PK" ...

I didn't like the guys' game but I greatly respect his contribution to the childrens' hospital,, very respectable regardless of the tax breaks or any other provision ,, many players in the league could have,, but he did. and well worth the recognition
    Yup my friend we`ll agree there......some players never seem to make the transition to the pros as quick as their fellow players or their management would like them to. PK`s transition was slowed by a flamboyant personality and the on ice personna of a Junior.........which made him a favorite among the fans but also hindered his development into becoming an NHL top level defenseman. His half season Norris was a joke and embarrassment to the NHL as well as a slap in the face to the likes of Weber, Keith, Suter and Doughty just to name a few.....even furthering his lack of development defensively. I won`t pretend to know what went on in the dressing room of the Habs........but I am all too well aware of what goes on in A dressing room with a young, brash, underdeveloped fan elected "star" in any sport...it does not fare well with players nor brass who work tirelessly at their craft to have an player achieving stardom without earning it.
    Quite frankly I still wonder what Poile was thinking making that trade............or was it his trade????

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Vintage truck

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hanky View Post
    Hab's still cant get out of their goal slump. Going to be fun to watch this one. The trade deadline was just that dead wasted 5hrs watching this crap while teams traded players for pucks and burrito's.
    You expected more out of TD???.......just a pile of media blowhards talking like someone actually is listening to their guessing game of "what ifs" with so many writers, reporters and anchors running around interviewing everyone including popcorn vendors one of them will come away with bragging rights. A total waste of air time if you ask me........more like a sitcom of Toronto egotists saying anything and everything to get noticed.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Vintage truck

Quote Originally Posted by The Noof View Post
    Phuck Sewerban....
    Even as a devoted Leafs fan I would never go that far..........Subban is what he is, he never changed. Why would he ?...according to the press and the fans in Montreal he was the next or even a better version of Bobby Orr. The press loved him because he did interviews and gave them someone to slobber over. Montreal fans made him a hero and between him and Price the Habs would never lose another game.......then reality struck Subban couldn`t play defense because with all his offensive talents nobody ever bothered to teach the kid about playing defense esp at the NHL level where any hole in your game will be exposed in due time.
    Every "star" player plays on the edge of disaster at any given moment...their ability to keep those disasters down to a minimum is the difference. PK at times was asked to be the Habs biggest offensive weapon so no wonder his defensive game lacked sorely at times...let`s not lose sight of the fact he`s still a kid and still learning(hopefully) to play at the NHL level.
    Best description I can come up with re his time in Habsland...............arrested development.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
    You expected more out of TD???.......just a pile of media blowhards talking like someone actually is listening to their guessing game of "what ifs" with so many writers, reporters and anchors running around interviewing everyone including popcorn vendors one of them will come away with bragging rights. A total waste of air time if you ask me........more like a sitcom of Toronto egotists saying anything and everything to get noticed.
    Yes I expected a trade with Colorado for the Douch based on the habs trading with them in the past. Not grabbing a productive scorer will kill the habs first round if they are lucky enough to hang on. Bergeron needs to have a fire sale as this group is full of fossils and drifters. Price will most likely never see a cup in Montreal,he must feel like Patrick Roy did.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Hanky For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,151x in 5,733 Posts
    Items helicopter
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassJeep
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassCrown Royal
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassSome beer
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from Bluegrasstreasure chest
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 05:52 PM from Bluegrass

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hanky View Post
    Yes I expected a trade with Colorado for the Douch based on the habs trading with them in the past. Not grabbing a productive scorer will kill the habs first round if they are lucky enough to hang on. Bergeron needs to have a fire sale as this group is full of fossils and drifters. Price will most likely never see a cup in Montreal,he must feel like Patrick Roy did.
    I mentioned to Cobra in a p.m. the other day that EVERY team in the NHL needs a 30 goal scorer:the Habs need 3.lol

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Noof For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

This Habs team is a different team than they were last week
    with their 5 acquisitions the Habs traded 5 average weight 185 pounders for 5 average weight 205 pounders,
    clearly the Habs got grittier Bergevin is in the best place he could be considering availability and salary cap going into the playoffs.

Not saying this team is cup contender as I think this year the team to look out for will be the Washington Capitals

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TLG For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

with their 5 acquisitions the Habs traded 5 average weight 185 pounders for 5 average weight 205 pounders,
    clearly the Habs got grittier Bergevin is in the best place he could be considering availability and salary cap going into the playoffs.

Not saying this team is cup contender as I think this year the team to look out for will be the Washington Capitals
    Cant count Pittsburgh or Chicago out. Pitt made some moves also. I agree Capitals are all in this year, but need to shake there curse.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr Hanky For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

certainly wouldn't count out the Penguins,, they are as close to a perfectly run organization in the league.

in the west ,, no one knows what to expect ,, a couple of years ago the LA Kings won Lord Stanley after
    having snicked in, in the 8th position

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TLG For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Vintage truck

The caps are closing their "IF" gaps and will be a very tough team to beat. Their Achilles was always defense but they addressed that with pretty good results. I see them as the top dog...barring injuries of course.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

a couple of years ago the LA Kings won Lord Stanley after
    having snicked in, in the 8th position
    Looks like they are playing that gig again. lol

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Hanky For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I'm in a hockey pool for some coin (which I'm winning) and I picked LA's Carter
    and,, I'm glad I did cause 2 points per goal and 1 per assist ,, the dude is racking it up for me.

The Kings are built for playoff hockey with, 22 players weighing over 200 lbs and the other 2 weighing 195
    and should I mention 13 out of the 23 are Canadians??

In comparison Chicago has 8 over 200 pounders and 16 under 200 pounds and 7 Canadians

In the playoffs those over 200 pounders unleash a lot of hurt and punishment to their smaller opponents !!

To beat the same team 4 times ,, clearly the philosophy is to out muscle them, to the puck, on the boards and in the corners

It wouldn't surprise if the Kings made a run for it

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TLG For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast