Thread: NHL Announces Habs-Sens Outdoor Game

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,093x in 3,592 Posts
    Items Vintage truck
Gift received at 01-14-2016, 04:33 AM from Wrench

Default NHL Announces Habs-Sens Outdoor Game

TSN

OTTAWA — As the Montreal Canadiens and Ottawa Senators battle for supremacy in Atlantic Division standings this weekend, the two NHL teams announced Friday they're taking their long-standing rivalry outside.

"It's the ultimate reality show," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman told reporters in Ottawa after announcing an outdoor game between the Sens and Canadiens on Dec. 16 to mark the league's Centennial.
    Ottawa will host the game at TD Place, home of the CFL Ottawa Redblacks, after plans fell through to hold the classic on Parliament Hill.
    Senators owner Eugene Melnyk wanted the game on the Hill, but government officials rejected the proposal over the cost and logistics involved in building an ice surface big enough, not to mention temporary seating for up to 40,000 fans.
    Instead, an outdoor rink will be frozen onto the football field just three weeks after the CFL's Grey Cup is played at TD Place, which will be expanded to 34,000 seats. The extra stands will be left up so that the Senators and Habs can use the venue.
    The game will take place almost 100 years after Ottawa and Montreal met on the NHL's opening night of Dec. 19, 1917.
    It will also be the final event to celebrate the modern-day Senators' 25th anniversary in the league, as well as Canada’s 150th birthday.
    The fact the outdoor clash was announced Friday will only heat up the rivalry between the two teams as they prepare to go head to head in coming days, said Melnyk.
    "This coming weekend you'll see it," he said. "I think it's a very healthy rivalry."
    The Senators and Habs will meet this weekend starting Saturday night at the Canadian Tire Centre and Sunday at the Bell Centre, with the Senators heading back to Montreal next Saturday night to end the series.
    The December game will mark the fourth time the Canadiens have played on an outdoor surface, all of them away games.
    But it's only the second for the Senators since the inaugural Heritage Classic was hosted by Edmonton at Commonwealth Stadium in 2003, and team captain Eric Karlsson

couldn't contain his excitement.
    "We're a smaller community, but we have a lot of passion," Karlsson said.
    "I think it's going to be a great hockey game … we're extremely excited as a team."
    In their first game in 1917, Montreal defeated the original Ottawa Senators 7-4.

Cobra......
    That makes 4 "away" outdoor games for the Habs. Hopefully the NHL will consider having the Habs at home soon in front of their deserved fans. Classic game could be on the Rideau just like the old days of hockey in Montreal.
    Speaking for myself and a lot of other NHL fans who would love to see the Habs and their fans on the Rideau Canal....IN JULY.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 779x in 342 Posts

They play each other 3 times with 12 games left...they should hate each other in time for the outdoor game.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Hanky For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,083x in 4,688 Posts
    Items Ying & yangRepCheckered FlagGolfCrown RoyalFootballGreeceCanada

Quote Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
    Speaking for myself and a lot of other NHL fans who would love to see the Habs and their fans on the Rideau Canal....IN JULY.
    Are we playing hockey or fishing in July !! LOLOLOLOLOL

By the sight of it .. (cause I've only seen it on TV) outdoor games look F'n cool,, seeing as I'm close by ,, I might
    even go and catch this one !!

Just last week Bettman was talking about a new arena in Ottawa ,, and another in Calgary ,, I wonder if this event
    is a way of promoting and or campaigning for some city of Ottawa money and land for a new arena ...

The city already dropped some coin in the Glebe for a new Ottawa Red Blacks stadium ,, which made the place look
    amazing !!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TLG For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Vintage truck

What would I know about playoff hockey LOL....by July the Leafs players are all "fished out", "golfed out" and working on their second sunburn.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Vintage truck

Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    Are we playing hockey or fishing in July !! LOLOLOLOLOL

By the sight of it .. (cause I've only seen it on TV) outdoor games look F'n cool,, seeing as I'm close by ,, I might
    even go and catch this one !!

Just last week Bettman was talking about a new arena in Ottawa ,, and another in Calgary ,, I wonder if this event
    is a way of promoting and or campaigning for some city of Ottawa money and land for a new arena ...

The city already dropped some coin in the Glebe for a new Ottawa Red Blacks stadium ,, which made the place look
    amazing !!
    O
    utdoor games are cool.....real cool.....real, real cool.......I went to the Wings/Leafs at U of M....fought the traffic, fought the lines at the john, fought the snow, fought being freakin cold...............I`ll stay home and watch it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

What would I know about playoff hockey LOL....by July the Leafs players are all "fished out", "golfed out" and working on their second sunburn.
    Their not dead yet....they should concentrate On hockey before they try messing up golf or fishing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Hanky For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Vintage truck

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hanky View Post
    Their not dead yet....they should concentrate On hockey before they try messing up golf or fishing.
    Here`s hoping bud.......I`m approaching it with cautious optimism...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Looks like the islandgirls are out of gas...Bolts seem to be the ones to beat for the last position. Leafs could give Ovie and the gang fits in the playoffs. Not to throw Anderson under the bus but when will the leafs draft a franchise goaltender they lose close games way to often. Closest they came to drafting one was 21st pick overall Tukka Rask we all know that story ...all the other goaltenders have been NHL league backups , going back as far as Ranford . Bernier/Anderson and Giguere etc all 2nds and old farts that are done. Plante /Cujo/Fuhr and just about everyone cut by other teams. With all the top draft picks over the yrs the Leafs don't think goaltending is a necessity. Theres a star goaltender in the ohl the leafs should go after at any cost for a bright future. Oh yeah Back to Habs /Senators "Habs Win".

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Hanky For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Vintage truck

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hanky View Post
    Looks like the islandgirls are out of gas...Bolts seem to be the ones to beat for the last position. Leafs could give Ovie and the gang fits in the playoffs. Not to throw Anderson under the bus but when will the leafs draft a franchise goaltender they lose close games way to often. Closest they came to drafting one was 21st pick overall Tukka Rask we all know that story ...all the other goaltenders have been NHL league backups , going back as far as Ranford . Bernier/Anderson and Giguere etc all 2nds and old farts that are done. Plante /Cujo/Fuhr and just about everyone cut by other teams. With all the top draft picks over the yrs the Leafs don't think goaltending is a necessity. Theres a star goaltender in the ohl the leafs should go after at any cost for a bright future. Oh yeah Back to Habs /Senators "Habs Win".
    For my part I`ll never throw any goalie the Leafs have or had under a magnifying glass....I`ve said many times that we won`t know what any Leafs goalie is capable of until they get a legitimate NHL defense in front of him.........their #1 pairing in Rielly is a -27 and that`s not even a #3 IMO.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,931x in 902 Posts
    Items Hockey
Gift received at 01-05-2020, 03:07 AM from Bluegrasshelicopter
Gift received at 01-05-2020, 02:59 AM from BluegrassVintage truck
Gift received at 01-05-2020, 02:53 AM from BluegrassCamaro
Gift received at 01-04-2020, 05:41 PM from BluegrassA Beer
Gift received at 01-03-2020, 08:22 PM from Bluegrass
Gift received at 12-30-2019, 11:42 PM from Bluegrass

For my part I`ll never throw any goalie the Leafs have or had under a magnifying glass....I`ve said many times that we won`t know what any Leafs goalie is capable of until they get a legitimate NHL defense in front of him.........their #1 pairing in Rielly is a -27 and that`s not even a #3 IMO.
    Yup I think Anderson is doing a fine job, I mean the defense the leafs got im suprised on how well the he is doing. last night against the hawks he was the sole reason we got a point lol, I mean we got a waiver wire in our top 4 (marchenko) and he has been one of our best lately so whats that tell you.... lol I hope we get some upgrades this summer, and not another OFD but a stay at home play it simple defenseman with a decent first pass out of the zone.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sonicmario For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Vintage truck

Quote Originally Posted by sonicmario View Post
    Yup I think Anderson is doing a fine job, I mean the defense the leafs got im suprised on how well the he is doing. last night against the hawks he was the sole reason we got a point lol, I mean we got a waiver wire in our top 4 (marchenko) and he has been one of our best lately so whats that tell you.... lol I hope we get some upgrades this summer, and not another OFD but a stay at home play it simple defenseman with a decent first pass out of the zone.

Exactly like the man said...............Last nite was a perfect example of their dire need for a real defensman that can log 25+ mins and actually play defense. Thru 2 periods last nite vs the Hawks the Leafs did not win one, not one, battle in the "D" zone corners or behind the red line and come out with the puck.
    Last edited by The Cobra; 03-19-2017 at 03:24 PM.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,152x in 5,733 Posts
    Items helicopter
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassJeep
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassCrown Royal
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassSome beer
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from Bluegrasstreasure chest
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 05:52 PM from Bluegrass

I'm still waiting for the Leafs to have an INDOOR game at the ACC...lol