Thread: NHL/Olympics Still Stalemated

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,093x in 3,592 Posts
    Items Vintage truck
Gift received at 01-14-2016, 04:33 AM from Wrench

Default NHL/Olympics Still Stalemated

Cobra....... Obviously all the clap trap and tangled words can`t hide the overwhelming obvious fact that this stalemate is all about the NHL owners making more money....where? The World Cup of Hockey. If NHL players can`t go to the Olympics these greedy owners see it as the only place you`d see the best the NHL has to offer playing together would be their own creation the WCOH and that would print money. The NHL owners want complete control of the cash flow of hockey assets that they don`t have in the Olympics....so they want to take their puck and go home because they`ve already created their own "Olympics" for hockey and they already control it`s assets. Hopefully no one is buying any fabrication coming out of Bettman and the owners.

TORONTO -- As the waiting game continues on an NHL decision for next year's Olympic Games in South Korea, three-time Olympian Zdeno Chara still harbors hope of a solution, even while clearly frustrated with where things stand.

"I think every player wants to be part of the Olympics," the Boston Bruins captain said Monday morning at Air Canada Centre. "It's one of the biggest stages that any athlete can participate in and compete in. It makes it so special when you have your best athletes all over the world competing against each other.
    "Any time there's some sort of interference, it looks bad on the sport and it looks bad on the people making the decisions. We are at a point where people need to really sit down behind one table and find a solution, instead of always kind of being defensive I would say, or finding ways not to find solutions. That's what I'm hoping for and believe that it will eventually happen. Things will find a way and fall into place for the Olympics, for the sport and for the history of all the nations being in the same place; come together and we will see the best hockey players for their countries at the Olympics.''
    Chara, who played in the 2006, 2010 and 2014 Olympics for his native Slovakia, certainly isn't alone in his sentiment as players grow increasingly frustrated with the standstill. A league source told ESPN.com Monday that there aren't any Olympic meetings currently on the docket. The league and Olympic organizers are at odds over covering costs for players, with NHL owners hesitant to break up a season.
    But it's not just players who want resolution. Mike Babcock, who coached Canada to Olympic gold medals in 2010 and 2014, also believes in the importance of keeping the best players in the Olympics.
    "I think it's really important," the Maple Leafs coach said Monday. "Getting your name on the Stanley Cup is something you dream about. Playing for your country in the Olympics, playing best on best, there's no better event, there is none. So, to have that opportunity I think is important. I think it's important to showcase your game every year [and] not just pick and choose when it's your turn or when you'd like to go. But, I don't own any teams.''

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,083x in 4,688 Posts
    Items Ying & yangRepCheckered FlagGolfCrown RoyalFootballGreeceCanada

I also like to see the best NHL players in the Olympics and I get the idea of playing for your country and all that warm fuzzy stuff

BUT

The Olympics should remain sports for amateur athletes,,, and not rich millionaires in the multi million corporate world

ALSO

NHL teams own players rights ,,, therefore should have the final say.

Why not showcase the under 18 players ,,, everyone knows there's enough of them aching for an Olympic medal

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TLG For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Vintage truck

Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    I also like to see the best NHL players in the Olympics and I get the idea of playing for your country and all that warm fuzzy stuff

BUT

The Olympics should remain sports for amateur athletes,,, and not rich millionaires in the multi million corporate world

ALSO

NHL teams own players rights ,,, therefore should have the final say.

Why not showcase the under 18 players ,,, everyone knows there's enough of them aching for an Olympic medal
    Be it hockey or any other sport there are no more "amateur" athletes anywhere left at the compete level where fans will pay the big bucks nor will the networks covering them pay the big bucks it takes to run the Olympics. All the major athletes in every country pretty much opted out for the money that was offered them thus making them ineligible for the Olympics in it`s days gone by.
    I`ll agree that the owners should have the rights to refuse players for "extra carricular" games etc....but they can`t pick and chose which activities their players can play.....if the Olympics are out so should the World Cup be out....and that would never happen. Money will win out here as usual.
    Last edited by The Cobra; 03-21-2017 at 02:34 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,083x in 4,688 Posts
    Items Ying & yangRepCheckered FlagGolfCrown RoyalFootballGreeceCanada

There were over one hundred swimmers in Rio and none but one name stands out
    Michael Phelps ,,,,,, and that other idiot ,, blonde guy,, can't even remember his name
    I think he robbed a gas station ... LOL

Using swimming as just one example ,, make no mistake about it, most of these
    young athletes are starving begging and pleading for sponsorship just to make it
    to Nationals ,, they come close to selling one of their parents kidneys to make it to
    worlds and if ,,, and that's a big IF ,, they make it to the Olympics ,, well by this time
    they may have sold their little brother or sister ...

The road to the Olympics is a costly one ,, and in most case requires mega talent
    to find a sponsor and a very special gift to get Multi or major sponsorship.

That one athlete, who is the one in one hundred, who wins Gold... will make promotional
    money and will come back in 4 years richer than he was 4 years prior ...
    no one even remembers the one who finished 4th

Professional Hockey players, baseball players, basketball players, golfers, drive up in their
    Ferraris' Jags, Lotus, hand their bag to their caddie ,,,, and aaaa .......... ok let's do this

No, sorry, not for me ,, I say clear the way for the young ones
    Last edited by TLG; 03-21-2017 at 02:17 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TLG For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Vintage truck

Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    There were over one hundred swimmers in Rio and none but one name stands out
    Michael Phelps ,,,,,, and that other idiot ,, blonde guy,, can't even remember his name
    I think he robbed a gas station ... LOL

Using swimming as just one example ,, make no mistake about it, most of these
    young athletes are starving begging and pleading for sponsorship just to make it
    to Nationals ,, they come close to selling one of their parents kidneys to make it to
    worlds and if ,,, and that's a big IF ,, they make it to the Olympics ,, well by this time
    they may have sold their little brother or sister ...

The road to the Olympics is a costly one ,, and in most case requires mega talent
    to find a sponsor and a very special gift to get Multi or major sponsorship.

That one athlete, who is the one in one hundred, who wins Gold... will make promotional
    money and will come back in 4 years richer than he was 4 years prior ...

Professional Hockey players, baseball players, basketball players, golfers, drive up in their
    Ferraris' Jags, Lotus, hand their bag to their caddie ,,,, and aaaa .......... ok let's do this

No, sorry, not for me ,, I say clear the way for the young ones
    We totally agree.................but getting kids of today`s generation to give up a chance at a handout is almost impossible esp in "lesser" countries. Canada, US could pull it off MAYBE because of shear numbers involved in all sports.....but the rest of them? I don`t think so. It`s a money now world my friend....we are fossils of what is right and the purity of sport.LOL