Thread: Can't get H transponders to work or is it dvb-s2?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 166x in 106 Posts
    Items HeadstonesTV

Default Can't get H transponders to work or is it dvb-s2?

I am using a Viewsat 9000HD for my fta receiver and only used for SES-1. It works great for MeTV, H&I (east and west), Decades, and Movies!. But I am trying to set up the new transponders with Grit and Action channels.

3900 H 29125 5/6 dvb-s2
    4180 H 30000 5/6 dvb-s2

The Viewsat has the dvb-s2 option in the menu but I get no signal no matter what setting I try. Could it be a problem with my receiver or lnb not getting H polarization? Or maybe the Viewsat just doesn't work well with dvb-s2?

I did add 3976 H&I West and it's setting should be H but I have it working on V.

Ideas?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Could it be that those transponders are in DVB-S2 and 8PSK???

Can you try the next satellite over (SES-3) and use TP 4140V, it has several channel's on it, and they are in DVB-S2, 30000 5/6 8PSK, if you get them then something is wrong with the settings for SES-1, or the LNB or receiver are not switching right, the "H" transponders on a standard "C" band LNB are switched by a voltage, this needs to be at least 16 volts DC or the LNB will stay locked to the "V" transponders.

To test this select n "H" transponder, then shut off the receiver and disconnect the coax, using a DVM set to DC, then turn the receiver on and use a small piece of center conductor inserted into the LNB input "F" connector on the receiver, you should have over 16 volts DC or the receiver's LNB power supply is FUBAR.
    ♫♫♫ I知 a lumberjack and I知 OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items HeadstonesTV

Thanks. The satellite is locked on SES1 but I did use it on Dish Network before. I have a spare one I can use. I tried the transponder on dvb, dvb-s2, dvb-s28, turbo, and turbo8. None worked. Could the lnb be bad?

EDIT: I tried another 9000 box and it's the same thing. I will borrow my buddies true fta receiver and see if it works.
    Last edited by dcapper; 08-14-2017 at 05:06 AM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,523x in 764 Posts

Could be the TP are weaker and you need a bigger dish--C band signals are often powered according to the size of dish that is the norm at the downlink stations and while the three you get might have smaller dishes (say 6.5 feet) the others might have 20 footers (odds are 10-11 foot but still).

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I concur with Jvvh, if you used the dish for DN on Ku band then it may not be big enough for those transponders, 6 to 10 foot is the norm, you can go to satbeams.com and take a look at the satellite footprint and transponder info this will give you an idea on the correct dish size needed.

Here is a link to the site, zoom into your location and click on it, this will give you an estimated dish size for that satellite at your location.

Code:
    http://www.satbeams.com/footprints?norad=36516

"If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774x in 1,301 Posts
    Items Vintage truck
Gift received at 01-01-2020, 12:06 AM from Bluegrasshelicopter
Gift received at 01-01-2020, 12:06 AM from BluegrassACDC
Gift received at 12-31-2019, 11:44 PM from BluegrassDish
Gift received at 12-30-2019, 11:42 PM from BluegrassBurger
Gift received at 12-30-2019, 11:42 PM from BluegrassWhiskey
Gift received at 12-30-2019, 11:42 PM from Bluegrass

I recall those models required a DVB-S2 add on module either real S2 or turbo. Mostly they were used with Turbo which will not allow to have real FTA DVB-S2 signals

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items HeadstonesTV

I'm using a 10' mesh dish and was getting 80% on Metv, Heroes & Icons, Movies!, and Decades. Those still work. The receiver I'm using is a Viewsat 9000HD with an hd module. It has DVB, DVB-S2, DVDB-S28, Turbo, Turbo8. I'm sure it should work. I have a ClassHD receiver I'm going to try this weekend.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I used to get H+I, M! and Decades on a 4 foot minibud, so they are easy to get (not so much anymore, but I haven't tweaked up LNB/Dish lately). I can't rule out dish size or LNB issues or box issues from just what you report. The most typical problem with only getting one polarity is cable length--too long (really it is too big of internal resistance so cable size plays a role) and you don't get good H/V switching inside the LNB.
    Last edited by jvvh5897; 08-21-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items HeadstonesTV

Sorry I meant to say that I get Metv, Decades, Movies, and H & I, on my Viewsat still. Just can't find the other channels on it.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Can you just twist the LNB 90 degrees so that H probe becomes V and then blind scan to see what you get? That might tell you something. BTW, H setting is typically set by sending 18V down the coax, V is around 14 Volts, so I'm thinking the coax is not the issue--you could have an LNB that is not typical though--maybe diseqc controlled polarity or rotator type, it is hard for us to know.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items HeadstonesTV

Update. Looks like the Viewsat 9000HD cannot get those transponders for some reason. I'm using a Class HD receiver (to think I was going to throw it out) and it's working pretty good. Except Fam Channel the voices go out of sync, then I change the channel and change it back and it's fine for a bit.

Found a duplicate of Fam and it's not out of sync. But Decades is very hard to get. Anyone else have this problem?
    Last edited by dcapper; 08-25-2017 at 04:08 AM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

As I stated in post #2, "Could it be that those transponders are in DVB-S2 and 8PSK???" and not turbo FEC / 8PSK like dish uses, big difference.(could be the HD modules fault)

And did you try the next satellite over as a test as I mentioned? (SES-3)

"Can you HIDE it"?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Terryl For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items HeadstonesTV

Sorry the dish is fixed to SES1. But I did get everything working on the ClassHD box except for Decades. It finds the signal at 80% but doesn't seem to work. I think it's too close to the Movies! transponder for this receiver.

UPDATE: I changed the frequency down one on Decades and up one on Movies! It seems to work good now. Thanks for all the help. Looks like the Viewsat can't decrypt properly for the new transponders.
    Last edited by dcapper; 08-27-2017 at 04:50 AM.