Man had towed his daughter's Malibu in, we tried to save him the $ of unneeded repair but he insisted......

So I attempt to get the info we need to diagnose the problem before we just throw a fuel pump into a car that may not need one. He gets frustrated while I'm asking the usual questions: did it make any strange sounds, any smoke or steam? The check engine light come on?

He says over and over it's the fuel pump and to just take his word, get the new one put in. So finally I say ok I'll call you in an hour with numbers and for approval to swap it out.

Then I got out to the car and the first thing I look at is the gas gauge, it is on empty. Of course the car won't start. So I grab a gas can and dump about 2 gallons in and try it again. She fired right up and purred like a kitten.

I called the man to tell him the great news and he looses it. Screaming about how the car was not out of gas and demanding that he speak to my boss because I am clearly an idiot.

After a short time my boss hangs up the phone and says "we'll be replacing the fuel pump in the "malibooboo" so call the parts in and I'll pull the car around,"

So yeah we replaced a perfectly good fuel pump. We charged the man for the removal and install of it and the two gallons of gas. He smugly left saying " knew it was the fuel pump" to me while thanking my boss for his quick action.

We tried to save him hundreds of dollars but he was not having it so we gave him what he wanted... Poor guy just couldn't admit to running out of gas!