Thread: Bell Fibe Sharing

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 279x in 101 Posts

Default Bell Fibe Sharing

I met a person last night that told me he shares a Bell Fibe plan with someone at a different address.I asked how was that possible.he said that it works by the Internet and that he had changed the the VPN and other settings so it is like the host address.He is a Software Tech so possibly it was no big deal for him.
    I just didn't know it was possible.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Blazerbong For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 188x in 112 Posts

he'd need the service menu access on the reciever to do that. Plus I thought you needed the main hub for wireless connectivity.??

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wheresmystuff For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 279x in 101 Posts

I don't really know how it works.He did tell me that it fails once in a while.Perhaps he has access to the service menu somehow.The way I understood it,is he married his internet settings to the host.I know to little about this stuff but the guy seem legit.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 188x in 112 Posts

cool would be interested to find out more. I may ask my bro in law for his spare to fool around.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2x in 2 Posts

I did not test it but i know you can connect those receiver bu ethernet cable not only wifi. Then you setup a transparent VPN tunnel and the receiver should be seen like its in the original house.

I also thinked to try it over wifi with 2 unifi unit they make a wireless wire and are not seen byt the equipement.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 40x in 27 Posts
    Items BasketballImmunity to Theft

hmmm never thought about it that way

in theory this should work

1.) User on the "server" side needs to have a good plan with bell, 50 mb upload at least
    2.) Server side (user who is paying for TV) needs to have DD-WRT router or similar (PfSense for advanced users)
    3.) On server side, setup up router in access point mode
    4.) On server side, set up OpenVPN server ... Bridge (TAP) and enable DHCP Proxy
    5.) On client side, once again user needs to have DD-WRT router or similar
    6.) On client side, setup OpenVPN client with settings generated from server

Since router on server side is setup as access point, DHCP server will be main modem it self

On client side, any device including receiver will be able to reach main modem and will see it as local

Not tested, but this should work!!
    Last edited by zokii1983; 04-08-2018 at 05:50 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zokii1983 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 40x in 27 Posts
    Items BasketballImmunity to Theft

holly shhhh, this actually works (kinda)

Here is the experience .. I have 1 gb down, 50 mb upload
    receivers I tested with
    VIP2262 - HD reciver
    VIP5662W - 4k Reciver
    Apple TV

I used my old computer and installed pfsense to setup access point and openvpn server at my condo where I have bell FIBE
    at my parents house I had a DD-WRT compatible router, but had to disable encryption on server side, otherwise the best I was getting was 2-3 mb ... once there was no encryption I was getting full 50 mb download

Testing
    VIP2262
    connects no issues
    channel loading little slower but no freezing .. I switched to HD channels .. still solid .. watched for an hour on HD channel, not a single freeze ... changing channels still not at fast at at my condo .. but this is workable

VIP5662W
    connects no issues
    from what I can tell, this is pure TCP, don't give a f*** about bandwidth receiver
    not a single channel works properly .. . I can hear audio, but picture is not stable.. even for 1 second ... definitely no go

Apple TV
    This works the best, channel change same like at condo
    install the app, and good to go

conclusion... apple TV is way to go if anyone wants to do this
    connection was about 10-15 mb for HD receiver (definitely VBR video)
    for apple TV it was half that at the best
    VIP2262 will do the job, but at peek hours.. you might start seeing some freezing ...
    pretty sure apple tv will stay rock solid

I'm lurker at the best on this forum, but if anyone needs help with setup.. send me a message or even better leave comment on this thread and I will reply when I see
    Last edited by zokii1983; 04-08-2018 at 10:39 PM.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zokii1983 For This Useful Post: