Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bell Fibe Sharing

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 50x in 33 Posts
    Items BasketballImmunity to Theft

Quote Originally Posted by doylet8456 View Post
    I recently moved to ubiquiti USG-Pro 4 for better QOS and monitoring on my network. Great stuff. One problem.

I got my ubiquiti usg pro 4 to connect to the TAP 1195 connection. But I'm running into an issue where no traffic is passed through the bridge tunnel. On the config side log shows decompression header error , basically a compression mismatch.

Compression is disabled on the server config, the asus ac86u runs openvpn 2.4, unifi only supports openvpn 2.3.2. Setting all of the comp-lzo options does not fix the mismatch.

Any ideas?
    what's the exact error message?

this is where pfsense/dd-wrt/openwrt come in handy as server/client because stuff is written directly into .config file rather than some fancy GUI that does god knows what

if nothing else, find some old desktop on kijiji and install pfsense on it, or modem that supports ddwrt and in server config disable compression

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zokii1983 View Post
    what's the exact error message?

this is where pfsense/dd-wrt/openwrt come in handy as server/client because stuff is written directly into .config file rather than some fancy GUI that does god knows what

if nothing else, find some old desktop on kijiji and install pfsense on it, or modem that supports ddwrt and in server config disable compression
    I abandoned the unifi solution for the OpenVPN. I’m back on the Asus AC-86U, and this time I configured the server side router in AP mode like you first recommended in the summer.

Now my devices are actually seen locally and getting an IP direct from the server side IP modem. Only problem now, is I can’t see the client side router and playback stops after 10 seconds in Live TV, rewind the show or pause and it plays fine.

Hmm

I will try and post my setup for both server and client side soon.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I abanonded the ap mode for the asus server router. I soon realized that the issue of only getting 10 seconds before the signal is lost and channel stops has to do to igmp proxy being disabled on the asus ac86u, a hardware limitation.

Having the bell 5662W on the server side IP Modem requires the VLAN multicast settings Internet VLAN 35, IPTV VLAN 34 and igmp proxy enabled. The ac86u using the broadcom hardware cannot have both enabled. So I'm out of luck. By the way, I am 3800km away from the physical server side hardware, so adding the pfsense desktop isn't really an option until summer when I visit next.

Weird things is now happening though, my initial workaround is no longer allowing me to connect on the vpn. I will attempt to reboot the server router and or restore settings. I bet moving from router to AP mode back to router has messed something up.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 3x in 3 Posts

All you need is someone's 'my bell' password and you can access almost all their channels anyway and don't have to do any VLAN crap

5. The Following User Says Thank You to corynick For This Useful Post:

TLG

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 506x in 254 Posts
    Items TVCrown RoyalSome beerBlackberryCanadaHockeythe travel gnomeEngland

Quote Originally Posted by corynick View Post
    All you need is someone's 'my bell' password and you can access almost all their channels anyway and don't have to do any VLAN crap
    The channel selection available sucks. I just changed to Fibe and was disappointed to discover how limited the channels were on the app.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by corynick View Post
    Using a simple TUN VPN allows any device to show as on the "Home Network" and loads automatically, providing all subscribed channels. That part is so simple, using only the password would be a mistake IMO.

Using the actual hardware like the Arris 5662 requires a bit more to setup, but it the best option for those technically minded. I have full EPG menus and the quality of the service is actually full bitrate vs the bell fibe app. The difference is noticeable, and worth the extra setup.
    By the way, I have able to reinitialize my setup and am back to enjoying my bell subscription while working away from home.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

To resurrect this aging thread, I am now attempting something similiar with Optik TV. Will follow up with results soon.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Unsuccessful so far. Channels freeze after 10-15 seconds. Some error with multicast. Any ideas ?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by doylet8456 View Post
    Unsuccessful so far. Channels freeze after 10-15 seconds. Some error with multicast. Any ideas ?
    Success. DD-WRT FTW

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 50x in 33 Posts
    Items BasketballImmunity to Theft

I've set this up for myself with half of hustle last time

at my family place there was an OpenMediaVault installed, I just added OpenVPN plugin

in my house, just connected router to VPN and it worked!

no extra steps really

Server side > OMV > OpenVPN plugin
    Client Side > PFSense router

I installed Bell app on TV(s), no issues what so ever
    I think it helps that upload speed is now 1.5 gb

also:

As a test, I've installed OpenVPN app on the TV and added my family VPN config .. again, worked like charm

if VPN is used just for watching TV channels

this can easily be shared with 10+ families (with 1 gb+ upload speed on server side)

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zokii1983 View Post
    I've set this up for myself with half of hustle last time

at my family place there was an OpenMediaVault installed, I just added OpenVPN plugin

in my house, just connected router to VPN and it worked!

no extra steps really

Server side > OMV > OpenVPN plugin
    Client Side > PFSense router

I installed Bell app on TV(s), no issues what so ever
    I think it helps that upload speed is now 1.5 gb

also:

As a test, I've installed OpenVPN app on the TV and added my family VPN config .. again, worked like charm

if VPN is used just for watching TV channels

this can easily be shared with 10+ families (with 1 gb+ upload speed on server side)

i sold my home in New Brunswick in May 2022. No more Bell services. In Alberta I have Telus, and their Optik TV service works anywhere in Canada with my telus login info. So my dad back in New Brunswick just uses it by logging in. No more VPN's or anything lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12