Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: H264 to h265

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    13
    Satfix Buxs
    50
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2x in 2 Posts

    Default H264 to h265

    I’m finding out IPTV service is changing up from h264 to h265 , at that point the mag 254 won’t work . I have a mag 254 that uses h264 . I don’t want to buy a new box to use new service that’s using the new h 265. The big question is does anyone know if it’s possible to update to the new h265 ? Or we all just screwed and gotta buy new box’s

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    185
    Satfix Buxs
    819
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 59x in 48 Posts

    Default

    Nothing can be done to upgrade the 254 to run the h265. Hopefully some time.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,510
    Satfix Buxs
    188,243
    Thanks
    3,354
    Thanked 5,360x in 2,041 Posts
    Items Sword

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by razorbak421 View Post
    I’m finding out IPTV service is changing up from h264 to h265 , at that point the mag 254 won’t work . I have a mag 254 that uses h264 . I don’t want to buy a new box to use new service that’s using the new h 265. The big question is does anyone know if it’s possible to update to the new h265 ? Or we all just screwed and gotta buy new box’s
    How are you screwed? Did you just buy it?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    13
    Satfix Buxs
    50
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2x in 2 Posts

    Default

    i iptv service i had switched from h264 to the new improved h265 . mag 254 uses old 264 so it no longer works . you have to buy a newer mag box that runs on h265. it has to do with HD 4k and 3d from what i see. i don't wanna buy another box yet . looking for a server /service that will still run a mag 254
    when i say screwed i mean they got my money i got no service
    Last edited by razorbak421; 05-08-2018 at 12:10 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    57
    Satfix Buxs
    216
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 43x in 36 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by razorbak421 View Post
    i iptv service i had switched from h264 to the new improved h265 . mag 254 uses old 264 so it no longer works . you have to buy a newer mag box that runs on h265. it has to do with HD 4k and 3d from what i see. i don't wanna buy another box yet . looking for a server /service that will still run a mag 254
    when i say screwed i mean they got my money i got no service
    This hobby changes and the changes are normally for the better.It has been this way for years and i don't think it will change.Equipment has to upgraded even if you do upgrade you can and will find better quality boxes.The Buzz is a good example.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to timc2 For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    8,105
    Satfix Buxs
    1,107,687,153,291
    Thanks
    2,063
    Thanked 9,599x in 4,578 Posts
    Items DevilBeef
Gift received at 01-24-2014, 04:26 PM from swanner
Message: Thanks for Your Input, with all the Hot Heads around.. Should be cooked in No Time..LOLDish
Gift received at 12-15-2013, 09:10 PM from holly2012
Message: From an Old FriendDog
Gift received at 10-30-2013, 12:15 AM from Just_angel
Message: love chloe xoxoxWhiskey
Gift received at 03-27-2013, 03:33 PM from thebeav
Message: found this behind the dumpster at the casino when i was looking for W H :)Heart
Gift received at 11-20-2012, 12:22 PM from Just_angel
Message: x0x0A Beer
Gift received at 11-06-2012, 03:58 AM from Styx_N_Stones
Message: I seem to have accumulated too many beers... LOL!Crown Royal
Gift received at 10-11-2012, 03:49 PM from Just_angel

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by razorbak421 View Post
    i iptv service i had switched from h264 to the new improved h265 . mag 254 uses old 264 so it no longer works . you have to buy a newer mag box that runs on h265. it has to do with HD 4k and 3d from what i see. i don't wanna buy another box yet . looking for a server /service that will still run a mag 254
    when i say screwed i mean they got my money i got no service
    what service is that?

    DODGE the father

    RAM the daughter



    “Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    13
    Satfix Buxs
    50
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2x in 2 Posts

    Default

    Lite iptv. I liked it , worked good for what I used it for . I’m only out 1 month cause that’s how I set it up . I think I may go buzz or mag 322 jut doing the research now

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,084
    Satfix Buxs
    3,108
    Thanks
    732
    Thanked 1,977x in 657 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by razorbak421 View Post
    Lite iptv. I liked it , worked good for what I used it for . I’m only out 1 month cause that’s how I set it up . I think I may go buzz or mag 322 jut doing the research now
    Are all of their channels H265 now??? I thought most of the services had only switched a few of their channels to H265 - and that the majority of the channels were still H264?
    NipPEr Is a diSh liCkeR!
    4e697050457220497320612062755474206c69436b655221

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    13
    Satfix Buxs
    50
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2x in 2 Posts

    Default

    I get your stb is locked call service provider. Got some friends there’s did same except one guy he has 2 down and one box still running as I write

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    8,105
    Satfix Buxs
    1,107,687,153,291
    Thanks
    2,063
    Thanked 9,599x in 4,578 Posts
    Items DevilBeef
Gift received at 01-24-2014, 04:26 PM from swanner
Message: Thanks for Your Input, with all the Hot Heads around.. Should be cooked in No Time..LOLDish
Gift received at 12-15-2013, 09:10 PM from holly2012
Message: From an Old FriendDog
Gift received at 10-30-2013, 12:15 AM from Just_angel
Message: love chloe xoxoxWhiskey
Gift received at 03-27-2013, 03:33 PM from thebeav
Message: found this behind the dumpster at the casino when i was looking for W H :)Heart
Gift received at 11-20-2012, 12:22 PM from Just_angel
Message: x0x0A Beer
Gift received at 11-06-2012, 03:58 AM from Styx_N_Stones
Message: I seem to have accumulated too many beers... LOL!Crown Royal
Gift received at 10-11-2012, 03:49 PM from Just_angel

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by razorbak421 View Post
    I get your stb is locked call service provider. Got some friends there’s did same except one guy he has 2 down and one box still running as I write
    that has nothing to do with h265

    DODGE the father

    RAM the daughter



    “Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,071
    Satfix Buxs
    97,900
    Thanks
    672
    Thanked 4,213x in 737 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Are all of their channels H265 now??? I thought most of the services had only switched a few of their channels to H265 - and that the majority of the channels were still H264?
    It's just ok2 rebranded by a reseller

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    57
    Satfix Buxs
    216
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 43x in 36 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by razorbak421 View Post
    Lite iptv. I liked it , worked good for what I used it for . I’m only out 1 month cause that’s how I set it up . I think I may go buzz or mag 322 jut doing the research now
    Your best bet is a Buzz and stay away from the Mags.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to timc2 For This Useful Post:


  15. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    92
    Satfix Buxs
    167
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 33x in 16 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by razorbak421 View Post
    Lite iptv. I liked it , worked good for what I used it for . I’m only out 1 month cause that’s how I set it up . I think I may go buzz or mag 322 jut doing the research now
    Only one server is transitioning to H265 at the moment. There are plenty of servers that can be used with a Mag254 and even newer servers that are popping up will work on a Mag254. There is still life in that old box.

    1)Take into account that transitioning to H265 costs a lot of money that some servers don't want to spend. So your Mag will work on them.

    2) Let's say an established server like IP Guys or Voodoo goes to H265. How many people will buy another box? How many people will dump Ip Guys and Voodoo and go with a server that still works on a Mag254? Do you think these servers want to spend money and lose customers on the short term.

    3) We are in May 2018, How many servers will be H265 by the end of the year, or after a year. betcha not many. So again your Mag will be good for minimum a year.


    By the time your Mag254 will be totally useless there will be even better boxes out there than there is today.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to rogue17 For This Useful Post:


  17. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    3
    Satfix Buxs
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rogue17 View Post
    Only one server is transitioning to H265 at the moment. There are plenty of servers that can be used with a Mag254 and even newer servers that are popping up will work on a Mag254. There is still life in that old box.

    1)Take into account that transitioning to H265 costs a lot of money that some servers don't want to spend. So your Mag will work on them.

    2) Let's say an established server like IP Guys or Voodoo goes to H265. How many people will buy another box? How many people will dump Ip Guys and Voodoo and go with a server that still works on a Mag254? Do you think these servers want to spend money and lose customers on the short term.

    3) We are in May 2018, How many servers will be H265 by the end of the year, or after a year. betcha not many. So again your Mag will be good for minimum a year.


    By the time your Mag254 will be totally useless there will be even better boxes out there than there is today.
    Agreed... I think if you're buying a new box today, then the MAG322 would be a better choice since it supports H265. If you already have a MAG254, then keep using it until providers no longer support H264. By the time you need to upgrade, the MAG254 will have saved you enough money to justify buying a new box.

    If I had to guess, MAG254 users will be safe for at least the next couple of years, if not longer. There's no real demand for H265, so the adoption rate will likely be slower.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •