Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No signal quality.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

The SV8000 is under powered to run a DPP1000 LNB, you need at least 750 mA of DC current to get that LNB to run right, most FTA receivers can only supply 500 mA of DC current, your problems could be lack of DC current to run the LNB.

The only things that will run that LNB correctly are an OEM receiver from Dish or Bell and a DP44 power inserter from a DPP44 switch.

The speck's on that LNB are DC voltage input 20 volts DC, at 750 mA to run right.

Also to see if the dish is aligned correctly use satellite 119W and TP 12414L on channel 101, this is an open channel, then check 129W TP 12516R on channel 9599, this will give you the message "You have a dish on 129W".

If you see these channels then the dish is aligned correctly.

Also this LNB uses band stacking, this gets all the transponders down one coax, thus the OCS-DP for the LNB type, it also needs coax rated at 2.5 GHz or swept to 3 GHz or you will be missing a ton of transponders.

This LNB has an internal Diseqc switch so there should be no external switch in the way, unless there was a need for more then 3 receivers in the original install, the a DPP44 switch(or more) would be used.
    ♫♫♫ I知 a lumberjack and I知 OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2x in 2 Posts

Success!

It all came down to setting the correct LNB type for the DPP 1000.2, also had to tweak the dish a little bit to get it peaked but I am now able to get CH 101 in. Now I just need to find a good IKS provider.

Thank you for all your help everyone

3. The Following User Says Thank You to demigawd For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2x in 2 Posts

Well, I may have spoken too soon. With the recommended firmware file, updated tp list and a fresh channel scan I seem to have large blocks of channels that are just black, no nag messages just black, but some channels from the same transponder as the channels with no video work great.

I'm not sure how much detail to put on here with out breaking rules.

Anyone willing to take a shot at my new issue?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

You may have bigger problems if you don't use a DPP 44 switch power inserter to run that LNB correctly.

You don't need the switch, just the DC power inserter for the switch, unless your receiver can supply 750 mA at 20 volts DC for a long time then you may burn something out in the receivers DC power supply to the LNB.

Check on the back of the receiver to see what the DC current output is labeled where the LNB coax attaches to the receiver, if it says 500 mA MAX, then you may be having DC power problems with that LNB.
    Last edited by Terryl; 07-10-2018 at 06:56 PM.

"If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2x in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terryl View Post
    You may have bigger problems if you don't use a DPP 44 switch power inserter to run that LNB correctly.

You don't need the switch, just the DC power inserter for the switch, unless your receiver can supply 750 mA at 20 volts DC for a long time then you may burn something out in the receivers DC power supply to the LNB.

Check on the back of the receiver to see what the DC current output is labeled where the LNB coax attaches to the receiver, if it says 500 mA MAX, then you may be having DC power problems with that LNB.
    I'm sorry I thought I had said I had a DP44 power inserter inline on port 1, but I may have forgotten that above, I also have the receiver on port 2.

I am getting most channels in fine but there might be 5 out of 20 on a transponder that work, and the problem seems to span a few different transponders but not all, nor are they all one polarity. Its an odd problem because its not happening to all transponders or to all channels on any one transponder.

So I really don't know where to start. I have started over and reset all the satellites and re-scanned all the channels but the same ones seem to give me problems every time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to demigawd For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

OK, now that we got that out of the way.

You say the dish came with the house.....Do you now how old the dish and LNB are??? It could be a bad LNB, if you can, move the receiver connection to the #3 port on the LNB.

It could also be a bad/corroded connector or a split in the coax that has let water into the coax, this would cause all sorts of problems, I have seen problems with water getting into systems that cause strange problems at the receiver.

One quick test of the LNB and coax is to run a temporary new coax out to the #3 port and connect directly to the receiver, if you do this be sure the coax is rated for 2.5 to 3 GHz, and not for CATV.

This would bypass the old coax wiring in the house and tell you if it is good or not.

The D1000 type LNB's run at some very high frequency's, and some of the channels may be affected by a bad connection or coax, you may have a decent "S" signal but you have no idea as to what is really going on with the IF signals coming down from the LNB, you would need a spectrum analyzer to test this

The signals coming down from the satellite transponders are at 12 GHz, these signals are way too high in frequency for normal RG-6 coax, so the LNB down converts them to something that can be transmitted down normal coax, this is the 11250 setting, this is the Local Oscillator frequency, this is mixed with the transponder frequency to give you an IF frequency.

Now the channels are not all lined up in numerical order but scrambled around between different transponders, a problem in the coax or a bad connector could cause a lower then normal signal on that channel, and your receiver's AGC is just blanking it out.

Opps sorry too much coffee this morning, I'm rambling again.

"Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2x in 2 Posts

I'm not sure how old the dish and stuff are, we have lived here for 4 years and it was here when I moved in, so I'll admit the cables may be the issue. I have a bunch of RG-6 I'll try running a line out and see if the old coax is bad.

But now my question is if it's an RF issue wouldn't that affect all the channels on the transponder? If I scan in one just one of the transponders giving me problems I may have 4 or 5 out of lets say 20 channels that I can actually watch while the others are just blacked out. These are basic channels that I'm sure should be available but for some reason I can't get them to work.

Anyway I will try a new run of coax and cross my fingers, what do I have to lose.

Thanks again.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 70x in 35 Posts
    Items A Beer
Gift received at 01-06-2020, 08:15 PM from BluegrassBurger
Gift received at 01-03-2020, 04:57 PM from Bluegrass

There are a lot of things that could cause such a thing to happen. That being said even if things are clicking as they should be stb wise it still could happen. You could have 20 showing but for what ever reason only 6 are up. You can only get what is coming to ya. Example...you scan in 40 on a certain tp. 15 are mirrors and for what ever reason 12 are black for the time being. That only leaves 13 up.
    Last edited by vapor; 07-14-2018 at 04:44 PM. Reason: waste of time

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Well you not going to get any of the spot-beam transponders,(local channels) but only the CONUS transponders, and Vapor that list looks quite old.

On sat 119W the CONUS transponders are 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 and 21.

Here is a list of packages (channels on that transponder) for 119.
    Code:
    https://www.lyngsat.com/packages/Dish-USA-119W.html
    As you can see WABC is now on channel 4042, and is only an SD channel, the HD channel for WABC is now on 61.5W TP 12530 (spot beam #2) channel 6300.
    Package list for 61.5W
    Code:
    https://www.lyngsat.com/packages/Dish-USA-61W.html
    They have been playing transponder hockey over the years, so things have changed drastically.

Even the listings on Lynsat can't keep up with the changes, so this info could also be off.

"Can you HIDE it"?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Terryl For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 70x in 35 Posts
    Items A Beer

They were current.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,507x in 1,708 Posts
    Items Soccer
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 05:52 PM from BluegrassYacht
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 05:52 PM from Bluegrass
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 05:52 PM from Bluegrassthe travel gnome
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 05:52 PM from BluegrassCamaro
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 05:52 PM from BluegrassFootball
Gift received at 10-22-2019, 12:15 AM from Bluegrass
Gift received at 10-22-2019, 12:15 AM from Bluegrass

doesn't he need a power inserter so he does not burn up his p/s?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 70x in 35 Posts
    Items A Beer

Think that was covered in a few posts so far.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,148x in 5,731 Posts
    Items helicopter
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassJeep
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassCrown Royal
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassSome beer
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from Bluegrasstreasure chest
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 05:52 PM from Bluegrass

Quote Originally Posted by Gates07 View Post
    doesn't he need a power inserter so he does not burn up his p/s?
    yes, he does need external lnb power for this reason

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12