Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transponder 3725 on SES1

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 243x in 142 Posts
    Items DishWhiskeyA BeerPresentpoisonTreasureCashRibbon 3

DC it's been a long time since I did C band but in Manitoba the due south sat is 97W. As I recall the LNB should be skewed at 45 degrees. Check each TP on that sat H and V and make sure you set the voltage to 13 for the one polarity and 18 for the other. If the polarity seems backwards as far as voltage goes then skew the LNB to 270 degrees.

I think that is how it goes but it's been about 15 years since I did a C band.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 166x in 106 Posts
    Items HeadstonesTV

Quote Originally Posted by Terryl View Post
    Did you have a bad winter this year??

The dish may be warped out of shape due to an excessive snow or ice load, try this.....Get some masons twine, and stretch it tightly two ways between the LNB support arms at the rim of the dish, this will form an "X" then look at the center, they should be just touching each other and be dead center on the dish.

If one is higher then the other then the dish may be warped, of if the cross point is not directly on center then the dish warped, this can cause a lower then normal signal.

One other thing, are there any other dishes close by???? (Within 25 feet or so) and aligned off to the side of this one??

If there are, then there could be an LO pickup problem from a second dish, if the feed horn of your 10 footer can see the LNB from the other dish you could be getting cross-talk from the LO on the second dishes LNB, this has happened before.

To test this just turn the receiver for the second dish off, if your problems go away then you may have to move a dish.
    I just installed an 18" Bell dish 5 ' from the 10' at the lake. The one at home is within 20'. I might have a problem right there.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Can the feed horn or Scala ring on the ten footer see the second dish???

If so try shutting down the Bell dish and receivers, the LO frequency's are different between the two setups, (10 footer = 5150 MHz, Bell = 11250 MHz) but the up-converted signals (10 footer) and the down-converted signals (bell) are the same, and at a very strong level.

If the Bell dish has a leaky shield or something in the "Ku" band LNB is open to the world, the "C" band dish could be picking it up, it doesn't take much RF to make a headache.

The ten footer LNB adds the 5150 MHz LO to the "C" band transponder frequency to decode the channels on that transponder, the Bell "Ku" band LNB deducts the 11250 MHz LO from the transponder to get the channels, so anything mixing wrong somewhere in the "Ku" band LNB could blank out a transponder (or weaken it) on the "C" band.

Even running the coaxes from the two dish's right next to each other could cause problems, I had one case where the customer ran the two feeds ("C" and "Ku") through a common two port ground block, the ground block had a leakage problem internally, boy did that cause problems.

The RF world is a living hell now days, anything could cause this.

This is where an RF spectrum analyzer would be handy, but those are few and far between for normal usage.
    Last edited by Terryl; 07-26-2018 at 07:13 AM.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 4x in 3 Posts

dc the skew is 3.2 on that lnbf some other lnbf's do have dumb skew not that one as for the other dish close by l have 5 other dishes one side armed on the 10 footer and never had problem with signal and the side armed dish feeds two receiver's one only ku the other one does c band and ku. the one that only does ku is always on.97w is due south sat skew would be 0 on that sat you said yours sat doesn't have motor so you would have to skew 3.2 on 101w.i'm thinking cable connections or skew as long as your settings are right on receiver.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

The "Ku" band dish being right next door to it is a long shot, it does not happen in all cases, as to the skew, do you live right next to him? Or close by, if not then the LNB skew will be different at different locations and satellites.

And I think he does have a motor on that 10 footer, he just has it on SES1 for now, if so then the dish would have been setup with the LNB set to zero skew on the due South satellite, then when the dish turns to other satellites the LNB will be automatically skewed along with the dish as it turns on the polar mount.

If the dish was setup right on the due South bird then you should not have to mess with the skew, if no active satellite due South of the dish's location, then the LNB should have been set to true horizontal and the dish aligned to due South.
    Last edited by Terryl; 07-26-2018 at 03:48 PM.

"If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Terryl For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 4x in 3 Posts

hey terryl dc said the dish is stationary and he is from same place but like I said I don't know where his lake is.He said he's lifted up and down and pushed east and west with no improvement so that leaves skew or focal piont and like someone said warped dish but a mesh dish is hard to warp from snow I've had 4 feet of snow on my dish and never warped but anything is possible.Now the lnbf he has is a newer made lnbf only been around 1-2 yrs. I think his dish is older than it.if dish is easy to get to not 20 feet in air I would play with lnb first that lnb is a very good lnb for weak transponders now if dish has motor and he moved it by loosing motor bolts it will skew but if he loosed the pole bolts and moved it it won't skew great talks I like this site.have a great day everyone

sideswiper is offline Member/NRA 500 Nascar Pool Winner/Coke Zero 400 NASCAR Pool Winne
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700x in 619 Posts
    Items A Beer
Gift received at 03-21-2020, 02:43 AM from BluegrassMedal 3
Gift received at 03-21-2020, 02:43 AM from BluegrassCamaro
Gift received at 03-21-2020, 02:43 AM from BluegrassRep
Gift received at 03-21-2020, 02:43 AM from Bluegrass
Gift received at 03-19-2020, 01:48 AM from BluegrassVintage truck
Gift received at 03-19-2020, 01:48 AM from BluegrassCrown Royal
Gift received at 03-19-2020, 01:48 AM from BluegrassDish
Gift received at 03-19-2020, 01:48 AM from Bluegrass

I was having the same issue with my GSKY V7 other GSKY V7 user's had the issue too some TP's would not show signal the Vertical ones issue was the V side was getting to much voltage, I think it was Costa that came up with the fix it for it all we had to do was add a inline amp or a DiSEqC Switch to cut the voltage just something to try.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I would try a switch as the in-line amp will stop the DC voltage from getting up the coax to run the LNB.

Most newer "C" band LNB's will run fine at 12 to 15 volts on one side and 16 to 19 volts on the other side, (polarity switching) and if I understand his first post he just has it moved by the motor to SES1 and is trying to figure out why some but not all transponders are weaker then the others.

"Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items HeadstonesTV

I can try and put in a diseqc. I just find it weird that I have the exact same setup at the lake and at home and different transponders work. The only thing different is the cable to the dish is longer than at home. It must be the focal point or skew. Oh there was a Bell dish near by at the lake but I powered it down and nothing changed. I'd like to add that FETV transponder used to work until a few weeks ago at the lake. But at home the FETV transponder works. Any other info I can give you so I can get some more ideas? You've all been really helpful.

EDIT: I'm going to raise the dish at home about two feet. There might be one bush causing a little grief.
    Last edited by dcapper; 07-30-2018 at 02:02 AM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items HeadstonesTV

I just got to the cabin and now fetv isn’t working as well as grit but worked when I was here a few weeks ago. We did have a wicked storm here last weekend so it could be out out alignment. I’m going to try and realign the dish this weekend and Install a diseqc. Anything else I can look at?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 4x in 3 Posts

hey dc how are you moving dish east to west ? with a motor. you have to be spot on the elevation and skew for grit and fetv transponders to both work. good luck

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items HeadstonesTV

Quote Originally Posted by rosser View Post
    hey dc how are you moving dish east to west ? with a motor. you have to be spot on the elevation and skew for grit and fetv transponders to both work. good luck
    Looks like that storm knocked the dish out a little. Both those transponders are 76% but my metv one is still around 54%. Weak transponder? I’ll work on the one a home this week. That one I know I need to raise the dish two feet or so.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 4x in 3 Posts

hey dc metv is a strong trans. you have to play with elevation or east west to find a middle on all of them . I can get 87% on metv but won't get fetv same with grit I can get 85% but won't get strong signal on metv .all my transponders on 101w are running 71% to 75% then I get all of them no trouble at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12