Thread: 2nd router or Range extender?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 32 Posts

Default 2nd router or Range extender?

I have an older Linksys WRT54G-TM, with DDWRT, and recently found the internet connection weak. I have a second Linksys DDWRT router to extend the signal. Do you think these routers are to old possibly? I have had them for like 10 years. I am the only one in the home using internet, and I have a very cheap cable package with local provider. House has two floors, main router in basement, and second on second floor. I recently, tried a firmware upgrade with the TM model, via wireless connection, not sure if that was the best way, but it appears upgrade worked, but I don't see any change. Thoughts on new setup?

Download Speed Up To 6 Mbps
    Upload Speed Up To 256 Kbps

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Old routers may never die....But the newer stuff does a whole bunch more.

I went to a brand called "Ampedwireless" they have a gigabit LAN,(4 ports) and are some of the highest RF output on the WIFI that you can get.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 32 Posts

Terryl, I figured you would jump in to the post. What would you suggest?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,380x in 363 Posts
    Items Football
Gift received at 01-07-2020, 09:29 PM from BluegrassMedal 2
Gift received at 01-06-2020, 09:52 PM from Bluegrass
Gift received at 12-31-2019, 11:44 PM from BluegrassVintage truck
Gift received at 12-31-2019, 11:42 PM from BluegrassUSA
Gift received at 12-31-2019, 11:38 PM from BluegrassGuitar
Gift received at 12-30-2019, 11:42 PM from BluegrassACDC
Gift received at 12-30-2019, 11:42 PM from Bluegrass
Gift received at 12-30-2019, 11:42 PM from Bluegrass

I know my 10+ year old Linksys WRT54Gs DDWRT cascaded together in an upstairs/downstairs situation like you described is still doing a fine job. I have an ethernet cable in port 4 of the main router connected to port 1 of the 2nd router upstairs. I set them for different channels to avoid interference. Check out cascading routers on the DDWRT site, you'll be glad you did! Being the only user and your Internet speed, it's not enough to warrant any new technology.

If you've got a smart phone check out a free app called wifi analyzer. It'll show you how strong your signal is as you roam around your house not to mention any of your neighbors signals .... a fun app!
    Last edited by greenphantom61; 07-31-2018 at 11:55 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 32 Posts

Cascading requires the two routers to be hardwired together? That is difficult for me, I don't want to run cables thru wall etc. can you confirm?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

And another thing is when cascaded you have to assign a block of IP addresses to each router, one one you can use XXX.XXX.XXX.2 to 126 and on the other you use XXX.XXX.XXX,128 to 254.

This could make things a bit difficult if your moving around with an Ipad, cell phone tied to the internet or laptop.

A range booster can work, but if your old router has removable antennas you could go with a higher gain antenna, that could fix the problem.

But before you go out and buy something try the suggestion Greenphantom61 mentioned, and that the app to analyze your current WIFI signals, this would tell you if a new antenna, a range booster or higher powered router would be needed.

A new antenna at least could boost the signals from the router by 12 to 16 dB, (depending on the type of antenna) this is a big jump, but could cost as much as a new high powered router, do a Google for one.

If the router is located at one end of your house then a directional antenna would help, if centrally located then an omni directional would be used.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?