Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dreamlink T5 Problem with power to LNB

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 20x in 10 Posts

Default Dreamlink T5 Problem with power to LNB

I hope I have posted in the correct forum category. I have a problem with the receiver LNB power. Over the last two days I have done the following:

1. checked output voltage (18V) at receiver connection. OK.
    2. " voltage at grounding block - OK
    3. Installed new cable connectors on original cable. Continuity check + voltage is OK to dish.
    4. replaced original cable with new RG6 with manufacturer's connectors.
    5. As power was reaching the dish, I decided to check alignment (aimed at 91W Nimiq1). I have a separate dish on 82 on another receiver and it is working fine. When I connected the satellite finder to the 91 dish, the meter power shut off immediately when the receiver cable was connected. I disconnected the cable to the dish and the power came back on. As I thought I had a faulty LNB, I swapped it with the one used on the second dish and the same thing has happened. All told, I have connected four LNBs (two were obtained from a neighbour who took a b.. dish down.) All reacted the same way. I have full power to the dish until the LNB is connected and then no power.

What else can I possibly check???? Any advise would be sincerely appreciated.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8x in 7 Posts

Funny I got same problem. Started yesterday afternoon. I’m stumped too .

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 153x in 91 Posts
    Items Ying & yangUSAMexicoCrown RoyalDishCanadaWireless AccessSome beer

So from what you describe you don't have a switch is that correct?
    Any chance another power supply could be contacting your dish?
    The T5 does it have a module installed?
    Just thinking out loud here

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 62bug For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 382x in 161 Posts
    Items Monitor
Gift received at 02-02-2020, 11:52 PM from BluegrassTractor
Gift received at 02-02-2020, 11:52 PM from BluegrassYacht
Gift received at 02-02-2020, 11:52 PM from BluegrassVintage truck
Gift received at 02-02-2020, 11:52 PM from BluegrassCamaro
Gift received at 02-02-2020, 11:52 PM from BluegrassFootball
Gift received at 02-02-2020, 11:52 PM from BluegrassCrown Royal
Gift received at 02-02-2020, 11:52 PM from BluegrassA Beer
Gift received at 02-02-2020, 11:52 PM from Bluegrass

Had the same problem spent over 300. trying to find my problem , they have a bad adapter so i got a universal adapter at the source and its been working great ever since good luck.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beefcake For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 64x in 11 Posts

Like 62bug asked are you using a switch? Also you can check lnb settings under dish instalation? I will be interested in the solution to your prob.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8x in 7 Posts

The main t5 power adapter that plugs in wall ? How can that be bad if it turns on and function ok .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to razorbak421 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 30x in 18 Posts

Mine turned on but was only getting half the power i had it checked , the T5 all had a bad adapter it wasn't getting enough signal from the dish . I had a dish installer come in and check it and he said he had 12 people in 2 weeks that had a weak adapter . The new one works perfect.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8x in 7 Posts

I just ordered one . I’ll let you know if it works.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 20x in 10 Posts

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will swap out the power adapter for the second T5 that is working OK and see how that works. I do not have a switch in the line as I'm using direct lines from separate dishes. It will have to wait a few days as I have to make an unexpected trip today to attempt to resolve an problem which originated over the weekend. Will let you know how things go when I return.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 20x in 10 Posts

To those curious as to how I made out with the power/LNB problem, I have to advise that I am throwing in the towel today. I worked all day re-wiring (cables, new Legacy LNBs, new grounding block, swapping T5 receivers, re-aligning dishes and adding switches) but still no luck with pulling in 91 on one dish. Voltages are correct ( 13 & 18 volts) and I even hooked the new cable run (approx 35 feet) direct to receiver without switch or grounding block and voltage disappeared immediately when connected to new LNB. The receiver to sat. finder connection shows steady power when the cable is attached to receiver input but immediately changes to short "beeps" every 3 seconds when LNB cable is connected to meter. Even tried another 12v power adapter for the receiver but still no luck. I know when I'm beaten.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742x in 452 Posts

The ac adaptor to the T5 will fail. It will put out enough voltage but not enough current for the LNB. There are many posts on this in many forums. Move the T5 to a second working location and test it there.
    Last edited by staticrider; 09-01-2018 at 03:06 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to staticrider For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 20x in 10 Posts

Hello staticrider: You are absolutely correct! In my haste and frustration, I decided to swap the AC adapter to the other T5 that is running downstairs. Unfortunately, I did not realize I had picked up the same adapter I had removed from the non-working T5 and had taken downstairs as well. I then took the same one back upstairs instead of the good adapter. My idiotic mistake. I used the correct adapter this PM and lo and behold, I now have a signal once again.

Thanks ever so much for reminding me of the adapter problem - just shows how careless it can get when things are not going right.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to seadog For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 166x in 106 Posts
    Items HeadstonesTV

I had the same problem at the lake and changed the switch three times and it never worked. I changed the power supply and wow it worked! Thanks all!

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 26x in 19 Posts

Pardon me. Coffee hasn't kicked in yet.
    If you're trying to run more than 2 (ideally 1) lnb off of the T5 with no supplemental power to supply them.
    It will stress the receiver, it will run hot, the power supply will be taxed, and worse it will fry the turbo module.
    For around 3 years I've been running 4 lnb's.....3 on 1 dish and 1 on a another.
    I have a power inserter, like the one you use for the DPP44, cabled to Port 1 of my triple lnb.
    In my case I have a DC supply of around 21 volts running to port 1. Center conductor is +, shield is -.

I was ok on my T5 and Linkbox 8000 with a twin lnb with no inserter for a year. Once I swapped it out for a triple and added the separate dish my T5 power supply cooked a capacitor. Both receivers cooked the turbo modules.
    Many suggest you can use an old DN receiver to power the LNB's.
    Everything is living healthy now. Receivers are running cool (also have small pc fans pulling heat out). Haven't blown the DL100 again since.
    Ask questions if you want. A perk is that the little bit of heat on the lnb's helps melt snow in the winter.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Arlo For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Not enough power is a common problem for most FTA receivers, these receiver were originally designed for FTA usage and to be used on one satellite, maybe two.

The standard DC current supplied to the LNB from an FTA receiver is around 400 to 500 milli amps, running two legacy LNB's and a small switch or a DP twin LNB should be OK, but when you get to the three LNB DC power hogs used by Dish your risking a blown internal power supply, this may be un-reparable.

As Arlo mentioned, using the DP 44 power supply to run the triple headed LNB from Dish will keep the receiver from blowing a gasket.

To those that are using the triple headed monster from Dish, even though it looks to be running fine without the DC power inserter, in the long run your risking some serious internal damage if you use more then two LNB's on an FTA receiver, and are not using an externally powered switch, or the DC power inserter for the DP 44 switch. (you don't need the switch)
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Terryl For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast