Thread: Boot loop problem in DL T5

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 154x in 74 Posts

Default Boot loop problem in DL T5

Hello all. I've had a Dreamlink T5 for about a year now and enjoy the ease of operation. Recently, I turned it on only to find it staying in a "boot loop". It would go "Hi", then "boot", then "0000" and then reboot.............continually. I searched high and low through Forums for a fix and did try loading so-called "boot loop files" amongst other files, none with any success. The only way I could access the receiver was to pull the power supply 3 or 4 times before it completely booted up before it would boot into the Menu mode.

After Factory Defaulting the receiver and loading numerous files via a USB stick, I tried scanning in channels. (I am shooting the North bird only.) No go, as it reverted to the boot loop. Damn! By this time, I had enough and decided one of two things. Either tear this box apart and try to find the problem, or go to Kijiji for a complete receiver. I decided for the first option. I removed the HD module and tried firing it up again.

Lo and behold, it DID boot up just fine. I was able to scan in 91W no problem, but the receiver did not even see 82W, obviously because the HD module had been removed. So that appeared to be the whole "boot loop" problem I was experiencing..........a bad DL200 module.

Off to Ebay for a replacement part. $13.99 USD and it arrives this Wednesday. Thought I'd share this information for the benefit of anyone who encounters the same issue and wondering how to fix it. As it turns out, the fix is relatively inexpensive and can be done in about 10 minutes. Save yourself a ton of heartache and hours of trying different files like I did and try removing the HD module FIRST to see if that's your issue.

Cheers wd

DL200.jpg

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,293x in 2,137 Posts
    Items BurgerA Beertreasure chestPresentRainbowRepWireless AccessTreasure

Most likely heat issue causing the problems, from the Pic. (willydilly posted) that HD module has a rubber/silicone heat sink
    there are better ones on Ebay with a Metal heat sink which transfer the heat better, also some have installed a cpu/pc fan
    blowing air down over the power supply or board to cool things (less problems)

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,329x in 4,234 Posts
    Items Crown Royal
Gift received at 11-09-2019, 09:07 PM from Putski

Quote Originally Posted by auggie View Post
    Most likely heat issue causing the problems, from the Pic. (willydilly posted) that HD module has a rubber/silicone heat sink
    there are better ones on Ebay with a Metal heat sink which transfer the heat better, also some have installed a cpu/pc fan
    ran a couple of dreamlinks with the silicone heat sink for a couple of years no issues

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nobodyspecial For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 154x in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by auggie View Post
    Yes, I saw the one module with the metal heat sink, but I opted for the original silicone heatsink. I'm moving shortly and in all probability not going to be able to have a dish at my new location. Therefore, something to tide me over until then.

Purpose of the post was to steer people in the right direction should they be experiencing the same issues as I had when this module went kapoot.

Cheers wd

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willydilly For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 154x in 74 Posts

Update and conclusion of this ordeal. Received the new DL200 HD module, installed it, scanned in 82W and now I have pretty HD pictures. All is good now.

Cheers wd