Thread: USB not detected...possible solution

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 70x in 35 Posts
    Items A Beer
Gift received at 01-06-2020, 08:15 PM from BluegrassBurger
Gift received at 01-03-2020, 04:57 PM from Bluegrass

Default USB not detected...possible solution

If one has a usb port that doesn't seem to be working or shows as no device connected with a usb stick one could try a powered drive. Had an issue come up that the stb stopped detecting the usb stick. It was an older stick that had a light that would illuminate when connected. Noticed when I plugged it in the light would come on for a brief second then slowly fade out. Knew the drive wasn't faulty as it worked when connected to the laptop. Seeing the light on the drive came on then faded thought it could be some sort of power issue with detecting the drive. Had an old powered drive enclosure I had put together awhile back and thought I would try it. After a little trail and error and a hard boot or two it detected the drive. A little more trouble but one way of loading files via usb. Could still be an issue with the port it's self or the mainboard but if one has access to a powered drive it's worth a try.
    Last edited by vapor; 12-15-2018 at 07:52 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,296x in 2,138 Posts
    Items BurgerA Beertreasure chestPresentRainbowRepWireless AccessTreasure

those SV8000's can be finicky at times when it comes to recognizing a usb stick/drive, especially ones over say 4gb and up
    I have found what works for me is, shutting down the SV8000 completely first then booting up with the USB already in place/port
    for me at least it will pick up the USB right away. And as vapor said a powered drive (for bigger drives at least) also works

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts

I have a powered drive and it wasn't being recognized until I slightly raised the USB connection that goes into the SV. A light weight flash drive (<4GB) is also recognized. So I'm thinking possibly the soldering on these receivers get messed up. I just pull the cable up & back a bit and it holds for me. I was wondering if I could do a little soldering from the inside and maybe bypass the outside USB connection. I would like to have the hard drive inside instead of having the cables hang outside.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 70x in 35 Posts
    Items A Beer
Gift received at 01-06-2020, 08:15 PM from BluegrassBurger
Gift received at 01-03-2020, 04:57 PM from Bluegrass

In my case the stick was working a few minutes prior to in the laptop. Once I transferred to the stb that's when the light came on then slowly faded. Like yours I noticed the usb port had a slight movement so I tried lifting and lowering the stick but to no avail. Had and old P so I pulled the usb port/card and wiring from it and connected it to the 8K with the same result. Also tried the stick on another stb and it worked as it should. So my conclusion was that there was some sort of problem with the mainboard not detecting the stick. But seeing the light came on then faded got me thinking of a issue with the power and detecting the stick. So thought I would give the powered drive a try and it worked out. Seems to be a problem with reading a standalone stick so to speak. The stick with the light was 64MB and I also tried an 8GB stick with the same result. Even with the power drive it will take a bit for it to detect it but it seems to work correctly once detected.

Seems I remember reading on adding a rear usb port to these 8K's but can't remember where. Seems like one could tie another port into the existing wiring/card but I could be wrong. Guess you could dig around for the post/info on it. Of coarse if it could be done that way I would say one wouldn't be able to use both ports at the same time as it would cause a conflict.